Persons Unknown: Could There Be a Second Season?

Persons UnknownNBC has been promoting Persons Unknown as a mini-series and that the show’s mysteries will be answered by the end. The show has not performed well in the ratings so hopefully the network will let all 13 episodes air.

If they do pull the series early, the show is scheduled to be put out on DVD. According to Amazon, it’s scheduled for an August 31st release but that’s likely to change because NBC won’t have aired all of the episodes until early September.

Some readers have noticed that the DVD set is titled Persons Unknown: The Complete First Season. Why? Because, though NBC has promoted it as a mini-series, Persons Unknown could continue for a second season.

Executive Producer Remi Aubuchon recently told Collider that, when they were shooting it, they did so believing it would be an on-going series. Though they wanted it to go on, he made sure that they answered all of the questions by the end of the first season, to make it a satisfying story for viewers.

Could there be another season? Aubuchon said, “It’s not unheard of, in the course of life, that if there’s enough interest in it, we could consider going a second season or doing another chapter. I keep looking at it as books in a series, and this season is the first book. I feel confident that we will have a beginning, middle and end, in this season, and it was wise of NBC to then call it what it really is, which is a mini-series.”

He continued, “24 is a really good example, in that there was a definitive beginning, middle and end for the first season. They had a slightly different format than we have, but the second season just retained Jack Bauer and a few other players, with the same basic format and idea, but it was a completely different show. I’m not saying that that’s exactly where we’re going, but certainly I think that there’s room for saying, ‘Hey, look, we told one story of a continuing saga.’ You should be able to pick this book up and get to the last line of the season and go, ‘Wow! Well, I hope there’s a second season, but at least I feel satisfied that I got to see all of this. They answered it all for me.”

Unfortunately, it looks unlikely that NBC would be interested in another season but that doesn’t mean it couldn’t return on another channel or in another form.

What do you think? Would you like to see Persons Unknown continue in some way?

Douglas Walston March 18, 2014 at 5:37 pm

I myself am a tremendous Netflix junkie always on the prowl for these obscure cinematic treasures that are unique and captivating. Sons of Anarchy in my opinion raised the bar for dramatic television series that strayed away from the cliche shows based on law enforcement with cookie cuttie characters and predictable run of the mill stories. Every story shouldn’t have a happy ending because that’s not the way life is and that’s not reality. If we all wanted boring and bland we would watch our four walls instead of our tv screens! Basically you cannot have a great show with complexity and depth of the characters and the show itself in which Persons Unkown magically has both. Just the fact that it’s not typically straightforward in Hollywood fashion somewhat gives it an edge. I had no idea after I watched the pilot episode that the journey through the first season would have me utterly in awe at it’s brilliance . It’s sort of like your one of the participants in the so called program entangled in each and every episode searching to find the answers as to what will be the final outcome. Sadly and very disappointing to say it’s cult viewers like myself are left helpless on the edge of our seats praying for that second season to find it’s way back into our homes that are currently polluted with the garbage literally unbearable to watch. Perhaps the creator, director, producer will read my post and realize that they are an accessory to murder for letting the station kill their show without a trial before it’s peers. Ratings means absolutely nothing and should not have major influences and other factors should carry more weight instead! I just can’t wait for the next great series for me to get hooked on so that can get terminated as well. Persons Unkown probably is more suitable for BBC television than the mainstream American audience not quite inquisitive and intellectual as our European counterparts.

Brande March 19, 2014 at 3:33 pm

I wholeheartedly agree. Most of the channels on television are polluted with unintelligent material. Netflix has filled the void for me. Unfortunately, I fall for shows that end before their time. Maybe Netflix could get into the business of picking up these wrongly terminated series like they did with “Arrested Development”

Tomwillis March 21, 2014 at 12:09 pm

I concur. I haven’t read a book in years, but if there was any kind of sequel to this show id pick it up in a heartbeat. id have watched it when it first came out had I known it would be this good. not sure why I missed it, maybe timeslot or advertising. if there had been more effort in getting this show off the ground, I think it could have easily been an outrageous hit series. the least that could be done is a quick short story or something to clear up all the unanswered questions like, who’s the dude with long silver hair, what did they ultimately expect out of the last survivor, how did every one of the originals get found, why Janet, what’ll happen to Fairchild and coopers girlfriend, how did they know about the private gifts from forever ago, were their lives all laid out before them in order to perceive free will for instance was Janets mother made to fill the role of worst mom ever in order to make janet grow up a certain way, what was the real reason cooper left janet, etc

Maranda March 15, 2014 at 4:20 pm

In my opinion as well as others that i knowit would be the dumbest decision for whoever decides that to not have a second and third and fourth season and so on. I found this show on Netflix and was hooked right away. PLEASE!!!!! Bring this amazing show back for our veiwing pleasures.

anonymous March 3, 2014 at 3:40 am

i would love it if there was a second season it was entertaining

Norma February 25, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Please do another season! This show was very entertaining. Would love to see more.

Sam February 23, 2014 at 12:40 am

Yes would love to see more seasons. Never heard of it before until I found it on Netflix this month.

anonymous February 17, 2014 at 3:14 am

Yes I would love to see another season please!

KEISHA TERRELL February 7, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Great show on Netflix you can do another season, this show can be a hit it they will continue. It is full of mystery, action. It would be a shame to let it go to waste. Please reconsider for a second season.

Mike January 29, 2014 at 9:47 pm

I really love the first season. Please have a second season. The first season sure kept me on the toes.

Betsy January 27, 2014 at 8:28 pm

Good show ,hope they will continue the second season, the first season was awesome

tristan January 15, 2014 at 2:01 am

I really thought it was a great show! Please have a second season. It was so interesting and creative. Please!

joyce January 13, 2014 at 3:34 pm

I am disabled and stuck in my home 6 days a week relying on tv, paying netflix and cable, and yet they keep letting people down by taking off shows that we enjoy. It happened to “being human” cept they ruined that by killing off all the cast, and reaping, loved that show but yet we only got 1 season. I could go on and on. But what is the point we can crab all we want bout it but they don’t care, they do what they want, they could care less if it angers us. Hey stupid people who cancelled this show u r stupid as all h.l.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

joyce January 13, 2014 at 3:27 pm

I cannot believe that u r just going to leave us hanging again. 75% of shows I end up liking, ended up cancelled, I am so sick of it, what is the point Of even getting into any new show if this crap is going to happen. what is wrong with people , the have no taste, I know friends and family who got into this show and r now p.o.ed cause it left us all hanging. Totally sucks!!!!!!!

Elizabeth January 3, 2014 at 7:53 pm

I agree, I hate how I find out about these gems on Netflix to get hooked and then find out they are canceled and so early. Like I can’t believe CIS is such a hit, I can’t stand that show that millions of nimrods seem to love but an awesome show like this and Jerico and so many others get cut after one season, some I never heard of or enough of to watch until it’s already off the air. Thankfully Netflix is cool enough to bring back some shows like arrested development, they are contemplating a few more. At least this one ended with a few things answered but still left you wanting more… Jerico ended on a HUGE cliff hanger. I think that even when a show is canceled they should be obligated to do one more season to at least end things, tie things up somehow. They can’t keep doing this to us, and a lot of times things get low ratings because they happen to come on at the same time as two or more awesome shows and get missed. TV and movies are my life, my enjoyment, I spend enough time and money on both that I shouldn’t be continuously let down like this. I am so disappointed in the industry.

stefania January 3, 2014 at 12:00 pm

I finally find a nice show that i get hooked to and then once i am done watching all episodes of season 1, i look everywhere trying to find season 2 and the only thing i find out is that there is no more seasons following up this story!! WHY?!!! Why would the ratings be low? It is such an entertaining series! I want more! And i don’t think the last episode should be considered the LAST one because it sure left our minds wondering a whole lot, and i am sure i am not the only one wondering what will happen next… or what WOULD HAVE happen next… :/ i wish they would come back with another endless seasons… i watched this season in TWO days on netflix! Great show, but very disappointed at the end with the no more seasons situation..:/

Anonymous January 3, 2014 at 3:32 am

I love they have all the crap and useless reality shows and canceled a decent show. They definitely should have few more seasons. It’s a good show unfortunately we are not the ones who will decide. Of course the ratings were low people never heard of it wasn’t properly advertised.