Pirate Master: CBS Sinks Burnett Reality Show

Pirate Master on CBSIt’s been a disappointing summer for Mark Burnett’s reality shows. FOX’s much-hyped On the Lot filmmaking competition has been falling in the ratings since its debut and was cut back to a single hour long episodes per week. It looks like Lot will finish its run but Burnett’s other new reality series isn’t so lucky.

Pirate Master debuted on CBS on May 31st and attracted a lukewarm seven million viewers — despite coinciding with the release of the latest Pirates of the Caribbean film in theaters. Many feel that the series was highly derivative of Burnett’s Survivor series and ratings have been steadily falling.

As a result, CBS has cancelled Pirate Master effective immediately. Five hours are left in the competition and the network plans to post a new episode online each Tuesday at CBS.com. The “news show” 48 Hours Mystery will fill in for tomorrow night. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Sharon Bates August 12, 2007 at 9:20 pm

CBS — First you replaced/cancelled some of my favorite shows … Judging Amy … Picket Fences …. Men in Trees … The Guardian … Northern Exposure .. then you decided to take off one of my new favorite reality shows … Pirate Master!!! I think I’m done with you. I really liked Dan Rather on CBS News …. then you got rid of him and replaced him with Katie C. … what are you people thnking??? I have always tried to support Network TV, but I think I’m on to better things !

Sidney Robertson August 11, 2007 at 7:36 pm

Can CBS put the episodes on to youtube so the world outside the USA can also watch the final episodes?

pirate master fan August 9, 2007 at 8:40 pm

The one show that I really enjoyed watching and was cancelled. That was the only reason that I watched was for Pirate Master. Now I won’t bother, 7 million people want to see how it ends. Did they ever think that not all the 7 million own a computer. so how are they going to find out who wins. CBS does not have a clue on what people like. They should take a hint if all 7 million quit watching all together, or they just don’t care.I have seen other shows hang around that were a lot worse. Bring Pirate Master back to TV

srs August 8, 2007 at 10:28 am

I just wanted to add onto what everyone else has posted. I think that cbs should at least show the remaining episodes. It’s Aug 8 and I just found out why Pirate Master has not been coming on. I wanted to see who won. I don’t have time to sit and watch my freakin computer. Cbs SUCKS!! Show us the REST PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Donna Dennis August 7, 2007 at 7:21 pm

I think that it stinks to start something and not finish it. Let’s face it the show that replaced it was reruns. At least it gave you something new to watch while the summer reruns were playing!

torri August 7, 2007 at 4:21 pm

I can’t believe they cancelled the show my husband and myself watched it every week we loved it .Not much on this time of year so we looked forward to that every week.And how inconsiderate of CBS to not just let the season finish.But yet we have to watch Paris Hilton over and over again. What are they thinking. Was it too clean for the ppl not enuff cussin and killing what has this world come to no violence no one watches????

Anonymous August 7, 2007 at 4:17 pm

I can’t believe they cancelled the show my husband and myself watched it every week we loved it .not much on theis time od year so we looked forward to that every week.and how inconsiderate of cbs to not just let the season finish.but yet we have to watch paris hilton over and over again. what are they thinking.

Cathy August 7, 2007 at 3:38 pm

Why not let the viewers tune in or not? for those of us enjoying the show it was disappointing not to see the completion. Is there a way we could watch the remaining shows on-line?

Sherry A Bastress August 4, 2007 at 7:56 am

I read an article that one of the former contestants may have committed suicide! Can this be true?

Even though the show seemed a tad like it was going no place…..I enjoyed seeing the interaction of the personalities. Funny how the attitudes change is one’s backside is on the line! All in all, this was much better than some of the repeats. I actually miss the show.

RW August 3, 2007 at 10:04 pm

I like Pirate Master but leave it up to CBS to cancle a show and never give it a chance is normal it seams. And then put the old stand by 48 Hours or somekind of crap like a specal report show in it’s place. How stupid can you get.48 hours SUCKS. Who are this Producers anyway? There all ways showing the same old thing. Another tear jerkier or some close ups of someone walking on a beach looking out to God knows where or standing on a porch looking over the country side after telling there story and then the reporter giving there stupid comment at the end like they really truly care or know how this people are really feeling. I guess what I am saying there’s gust to much drama going on in the world today we see it on the news all the time.Give use a brake, That’s how I feel about it.

Debbie August 3, 2007 at 5:26 pm

I was so disappointed to find that CBS cancelled Pirate Master suddenly. I didn’t care for it as much as Survivor, which is my favorite but I did want to at least watch it to the end to see who won. I think they should have allowed all episodes to air and then if they elected to cancel it, that would be fine.

LonaMeadows August 3, 2007 at 2:44 pm

I think this STINKS. I loved that show and Now I can watch the rest of it on TV. Not going to watch CBS,

Reality shows fan August 3, 2007 at 2:32 pm

Thanks for nothing. You have ruined any good feelings we had for CBS. I bet Regis Philban would have told you to keep Pirate Master running. If for no other reason but for the lousy 7 million viewers it had. We can’t get it online. Now what else are you going to give us and take away? I guess we will have to wait for another Survivor. Can you email me and tell me who won on Pirate Master. My husband and I had a bet on it. Oh well, life is tough. I bet its really hard at the top. You forget about us poor folk who tune in to CBS to enjoy any entertainment we can get. Thanks again.

Matthew August 3, 2007 at 12:54 pm

Whether a reality series has good ratings or not, I think the network has a responsibility to finish the run. I personally didn’t like Pirates but if I was to have continued watching the show, I would be pissed to know that they can’t finish airing 5 episodes! Are you telling me they couldn’t have aired the final episodes on a dead time slot on Saturday?

liz Cawthon August 3, 2007 at 4:07 am

This is totally unfare! i was looking forward to see who wins. i know the network was probably trying to prove a point to Mr. Burnett, but ya what about us. 48hrs sucks! bring back Pirate Master, at least finish the job, don’t leave us hanging!