Pirate Master: CBS Sinks Burnett Reality Show

Pirate Master on CBSIt’s been a disappointing summer for Mark Burnett’s reality shows. FOX’s much-hyped On the Lot filmmaking competition has been falling in the ratings since its debut and was cut back to a single hour long episodes per week. It looks like Lot will finish its run but Burnett’s other new reality series isn’t so lucky.

Pirate Master debuted on CBS on May 31st and attracted a lukewarm seven million viewers — despite coinciding with the release of the latest Pirates of the Caribbean film in theaters. Many feel that the series was highly derivative of Burnett’s Survivor series and ratings have been steadily falling.

As a result, CBS has cancelled Pirate Master effective immediately. Five hours are left in the competition and the network plans to post a new episode online each Tuesday at CBS.com. The “news show” 48 Hours Mystery will fill in for tomorrow night. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Sarah September 5, 2007 at 12:39 pm

Can someone please tell us who won? We poor Canadians can’t view the on-line shows.

Thanks!!

Eva August 28, 2007 at 8:19 pm

Wow what an ending, I really enjoyed watching this reality show, it was awesome. Please reconsider and give us another season , the ratings were not good because of the date and timing of more popular ones , but if you try it at another time I think more people will watch and learn that they love this show.

LaBlair August 24, 2007 at 5:37 pm

How annoying!!! We knew it wasn’t “quality” television — but it was cheesy fun! My nephew and I had a lot of fun with it… how many places in your adult life do you get to play pretend??? We were jealous and would have loved to get on that ship! Treasure is cool, but the whole experience looked like fun!

Laura Little August 24, 2007 at 2:23 pm

You have got to be kidding! I cannot believe that once again CBS has pulled a show befor the fans have been able to see the end of the story line. Please air the final episodes online at least. You owe it to the loyal 7 million viewers to bring closure. I may rethink watching anything I like on CBS…this happens time and time again.

Bob La Brash August 23, 2007 at 6:36 pm

We just got home from vacation & looked for the final weeks of the Pirate Master!We just found out the series has been cancelled. I think CBS are nuts to not give the viewing public at least the final show of the series and let us know who are the winners! CBS this may come back a bite you in the rear on any other series because you cannot be trusted to follow through on a series!

Len Adams August 23, 2007 at 5:42 am

Now I can only watch the ridiculous WAR in Iraq on CNN.

pam August 22, 2007 at 2:47 pm

I too was a watcher and figured they would bring it back to show us how it ended. But was no info on it so got on here and now see it will not be airing…..NOT FAIR to the people who were watching it…..Think again its not too late.

josh August 20, 2007 at 7:04 pm

I live in canada cna someone tell me who won??
josh_prosser@hotmail.com

Sandra Kaufman August 18, 2007 at 9:06 am

Cheesy is what made Pirate Master so fun to watch. The current management at CBS are idiots! You would have gained so many viewers in the second half of the summer because there is nothing else on! Some of the best programming on TV in the past has been on CBS, but with all the channels available to people, you have to give something new a little time. I looked forward to Thursdays for PM. What adult can’t get into playing pirate like a kid. Seven million in the early summer seems like a pretty decent number to me and cancellation was bonehead. May I recommend another slightly cheesy, but quite entertaining program on USA–“Burn Notice”–also on Thursday, at least in my area.

Dave Rafferty August 17, 2007 at 12:09 pm

At first I thought Pirate Master must have been Pre-empted to show something else, but after a few weeks I came to the conclusion that it must have been cancelled. Now I have confirmation. Admittedly it was not the greatest reality show, but I have been watching survivor almost since the beginning, and was willing to give it a try.
My wife and I came to look forward to it. Face it the summer is a desert of TV entertainment, and Pirate Master was a small oasis. Now even it is gone. I spend my Thursdays channel surfing for a while then giving it up.I would at least like to know how it ended.

Joan Bell August 16, 2007 at 11:48 am

It’s incredibly irritating to get interested in a show and then not being able to see it finish out. There were some really interesting personalities and it would have been great to see who won out in the end. CBS should have sucked it up and let it play out. It’s summertime and not a lot of good viewing on any channels. I believe Pirate Master would have continued to grow an audience if left on the air.

Jim Miller August 16, 2007 at 5:51 am

CBS…big dog on the block…you have made alot of us reality freaks really pissed at you. Pirate Master had a great following of pre teens who are into the Pirate Thing, and Thanks to the uncaring SUITS, we were all cut adrift! Your time will come Big Dog, you made so many fatal mistakes lately and we have very good memories !

joan August 16, 2007 at 5:40 am

I just spent 3 weeks in Europe and the only show I dvr’d was Pirate Master. Once again, CBS disappoints and cancels a show midstream. I still have it on my DVR, so please bring it back (even at 2:00 a.m) so we can see how it ends!

seeque August 15, 2007 at 6:50 am

to me its better that ‘heroes’, ’24’ or ‘lost’. tq

Mike August 14, 2007 at 6:37 pm

I didn’t watch the first few episodes because I thought it looked so cheezy. For lack of something new I finally watch a couple shows and the Pirate Master hooked me. I think CBS made a mistake pulling this show before it played out