Political Animals: Possible Second Season ‘Cancelled’

USA Network has decided not to produce a second season of Political Animals, their political drama.

Though Animals was billed as a limited series, the cable channel was open to the possibility of producing a second season.

Despite featuring actors like Sigourney Weaver, Carla Gugino, James Wolk, and Ellen Burstyn, and garnering some great reviews, not enough people tuned in and the ratings were poor.

In a statement to TV Line, USA said, “We are proud of Political Animals, our miniseries that attracted critical acclaim and impacted the cultural conversation this summer. It was a pleasure to work with Greg Berlanti and Laurence Mark and a powerful cast led by Sigourney Weaver. We look forward to collaborating again with these immensely talented creatives.”

What do you think? Are you sorry that there won’t be a second season of Political Animals on USA? Why didn’t more people watch?

Canceled and renewed TV show

44 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Steve Ty says

This show is top shelf. Netflix should look at bringing this one back under their Original Programming label. Definitely West Wing caliber.

2. Laurie v. says

I just started watched the first few episodes last night on Netflix, and I am hooked! I haven’t watched anything as good as this series since West Wing, which I really miss! I am very sorry this new series got cancelled! There was a great story line, interesting dialogue, and excellent acting!

3. Lynn W says

Political Animals was an excellent series. I ran across it via Netflix. Soooo disappointed to find there was no season 2. The quality was suburb. Bring it back PLEASE!!!

4. Ramon says

I bought the DVD of the complete series. I did not tune in when it was on TV perhaps because it was not promoted well and relied solely on its merit (unlike some really bad flops that seem to rely more on promotion than merit). The character development was dramatic and suspenseful, the possibilities of where things would go are endless and not unidirectional. In other words, I am truly saddened by its cancelation. Maybe it should be considered for direct to DVD production so as not to compete with the stupid “reality” shows out there. Give us intellectuals something really worth our time.

5. Tam tall says

I’m extremely sad by the news of no 2nd season. This was a wonderful show. Why not put on net flix streaming. House of cards is doing so well. Or maybe sell to direct or dish TV. I have been a fan of usa for some time but this is a poor decision they made.

6. Joann L says

What a great show. It’s such a shame there will be no second season. GRRRRRRRRR. All the best shows get cancelled and stupid reality shows reign.

7. James Nykolay says

Immensely disappointed to find there will be no season 2 of this smart and entertaining political drama. Not since The West Wing have there been such thought driven story lines played out at 160o Pennsylvania Ave.
    Carla Gugino and Sigourney Weaver were genius together!
    Thanks for the taste of taste.

8. Alyssa says

I am disappointed the Political Animals is not having a second season. It was an amazing show and had an amazing story line. USA should have given it a second season.

9. Cat says

With all the “reality” shows that are on the air, I am disappointed that a good show like Political Animals is cancelled. It had a great story line. :(

10. Jaime says

This is disappointing news that Political animals got cancelled. It was great show and the cast was wonderful. I was really looking forward to a new season. USA tends to that. Should have given it a 2nd chance! It had buzz.