Political Animals: Possible Second Season ‘Cancelled’

USA Network has decided not to produce a second season of Political Animals, their political drama.

Though Animals was billed as a limited series, the cable channel was open to the possibility of producing a second season.

Despite featuring actors like Sigourney Weaver, Carla Gugino, James Wolk, and Ellen Burstyn, and garnering some great reviews, not enough people tuned in and the ratings were poor.

In a statement to TV Line, USA said, “We are proud of Political Animals, our miniseries that attracted critical acclaim and impacted the cultural conversation this summer. It was a pleasure to work with Greg Berlanti and Laurence Mark and a powerful cast led by Sigourney Weaver. We look forward to collaborating again with these immensely talented creatives.”

What do you think? Are you sorry that there won’t be a second season of Political Animals on USA? Why didn’t more people watch?

Canceled and renewed TV show

44 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Kristi says

Every time there is a really good series they always take it off. This was soo different from the rest of the crap that is on tv. Really tired of all the reality shows, people go outside and live life. This was a show that tapped into the political life of people. May not have been all true,but came really close. Very disappointed that this will not be returning.

2. says

This mini series was great. It is too bad the network won’t move forward with it. How does a network determine how many people actually watch the series? Everyone I talked to had watched all of the shows.

They could make it a series in take it in many directions.

3. C. Mattox says

For a person who goes to bed at 10:30pm every day of the week. This was the only show I would stay up and watch; usually with my sister on the phone so we can talk during the commercial breaks.

4. Bella D'Ayre says

I am sooooooooo DISAPOINTED that the
    Show has been cancelled because I really,
    really enjoyed it. It was a very intelligent, yet
    Sexy show. It was beginning to become one
    of my favorite shows…. Just hate its now
    being picked for another season. :-(

5. phyllis says

This was a wonderful show. I was looking forward to season 2. There’s not a lot of good dramas these days. USA network, bad decision not to bring this show back!

6. Letha says

I’ve copied below “Casey’s” response of January 9th, because it represents EXACTLY how I am feeling about the cancelation of this great show. What is the matter with this network? Do they think we’re all brain-dead? Hello? Not too many actresses around like Segourney Weaver – esp for a channel like USA. It’s like the grocery manager who stopped stocking certain items because they were so popular and went so fast it took too much time to keep them stocked. Feel embarrassed USA – your ignorance is showing!
    And from Casey’s comment “I am so disappointed that this show is not returning. I have told all my friends what a great show it was and how it kept my interest week after week. It was well acted and had a terrific story line. I believe part of the problems with gathering viewers is due to the networks all having different ‘season’ times. No one knows when anything starts anymore and we are all running in circles bumping into each other trying to figure out when a ‘season’ begins. How can any network get a following when this occurs? This is a huge disappointment to me and others who will never be given the chance to watch it.”

7. Cat says

What a shame not renew a wonderful project. All the mindless “reality” shows keep getting renewed and something so timely and intelligent gets axed. It’s always about money, not content. Makes me wonder where our society is heading. Shame on the USA station.

8. Sallamanda says

It is a shame that these series get cancelled. Common Law and this one Political Animals were both a bit of fresh air from the incessant Law and Orders and CSI’s. Wish they would consider bringing them both back again.

9. Betty says

would have thought USA would have given it a chance….was a really good show and if it got a second season I would think it would do well. Too many good shows are cancelled way too soon.

10. zanne says

aww very disappointed was looking forward to it returning. tv is so different know with the scheduling that it’s hard to keep track of when a show may start up mid season is odd. well thanks for giving me a chance to have seen a well written and terriffic cast for such a short time.

11. snadi says

I really loved this show too and was looking forward to watching it again this year, 2013. So very disappointed it will not return. Thanks to the cast and crew for a great 1st season!

12. Brianne says

I really loved this show. They need to make a second season. I know that if they put it on Netflix right now, they would get enough followers to make the second season draw in much higher ratings. Most people don’t make the effort to catch a show on its first season. They forget about it, never hear about it, or they simply wait to see what others are saying about it before they invest the time. The network needs to get with the times. Television watching is going to be different, and shows shouldn’t be cancelled after their first season just because of poor ratings. If it is getting award nominations and high critical acclaim, let it go for another season or two and see where it goes. This show was fantastic and totally deserved a second shot to gain more following. PLEASE reconsider!!!

13. Casey says

• Tony says

I agree 100%. Great show with a whole bunch of possibilities. The ones who decide what shows to cancel and which ones to renew have to be total idiots. You cant tell me that Jersey shore is better than this, Snookie, come on. What value does that show give to anyone who watches it. This show had mature, interesting charcters giving us an inside look at what could actually be going on in the world. Bad decision!!