Prime Suspect: Cancelled Now?

Prime Suspect canceledEarlier this week, NBC announced their mid-season schedule and, not surprisingly, low-rated Prime Suspect wasn’t on it. Supposedly NBC execs hadn’t cancelled the show and would still be “considering their options” until all 13 episodes had aired.

Now comes word that production will be shutting down before the holiday. The cast and crew were reportedly informed of the season wrap on Monday afternoon, as NBC was announcing their schedule. It surely wasn’t a surprise. Mario finishing episode 12 now and will complete number 13 before closing up shop.

There won’t be any more episodes produced for this season, despite the fact that the network ordered another half dozen scripts. Though NBC isn’t officially saying that Prime Suspect is cancelled, the cast and crew have been told that there won’t be a second season.

Theoretically, Prime Suspect could be brought back next season but that would mean that the network would have to put a lot of money into promoting a show that had been off the air for nine months, a show that couldn’t muster strong ratings after a big launch. Thus far the show’s averaged a dismal 1.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic and just 4.97 million viewers.

There’s simply no reason for the network to spend any more resources on Prime Suspect. For whatever reason, most of the network just weren’t interest in this TV series.

What do you think? Are you sorry that Prime Suspect is being cancelled and won’t be back for a second season?

Canceled and renewed TV show

395 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Canada Jo says

Are you crazy? You can’t cancel the only real show on TV worth watching!! It’s well written, well acted and has great story lines. I want to know more about these people. Will Jane’s colleagues eventually accept her on an equal basis? Does Matt’s son come to live with them? What happens to that relationship? Will Reg find a love interest?
    The Firm on the other hand is a giant bore. The only character worth watching is Juliette Lewis’ role of Tammy.
    Can we start a petition to bring back Prime Suspect?

2. TA says

Utterly bummed that this is getting cancelled. Bello played the role very smartly and the whole ensemble made it a really worthwhile show. I too hope that someone like TNT would consider picking this up. But at the same time, I’m not someone who can schedule watching TV at a certain time…I either DVR things or catch them on Hulu or similar. I feel badly that TV is still stuck in this mode of “you gotta sit in front of your TV each Thursday at 9:00 to see this show or else we and our advertisers will cancel it”. Can’t wait until that’s a thing of the past.

3. Patricia says

I love this show and will sorely miss it. You took away Law and Order, LA. too. Whats up? You keep up all night and and take away quality programming. You could have put This show on Friday nights and there would be something to watch.

4. ty says

bummer! this was one of the new shows on any channel that I actually looked forward to!
    stupid reality shows and dance/voice show suck.

5. kim says

Every week I search for this show..now I find out it’s cancelled. It is one of the best new offerings this year. I guess I’ll go watch some reality tv now (no way!!)

6. natalie says

More than disappointed that this show was cancelled. It was the only decent new show on this year. Hope the network reconsiders.

7. Maria says

Networks always seem to cancel anything that isn’t fluff. Really loved this show. Hope some cable network picks it up.

8. Dane says

I am so disappointed that this show was canceled. I hope TNT is smart enough to pick it up like they were Southland. NBC doesn’t deserve a show like this if they are going to drop it before trying a new time slot!!!!

9. RM says

I really liked the show, the characters were real. the situations they faced were real. I liked the relationship Jane had with her “team”. It always seems the interesting and thought provoking shows go first!

10. Joz Triple says

I love this show so much, and the fact that it could not get a second season really sucks i love all the characters and the fact that it is about detecitves! NBC DO NOT CANCEL GIVE IT ANOTHER CHANCE!!!!!