Prime Suspect: Cancelled Now?

Prime Suspect canceledEarlier this week, NBC announced their mid-season schedule and, not surprisingly, low-rated Prime Suspect wasn’t on it. Supposedly NBC execs hadn’t cancelled the show and would still be “considering their options” until all 13 episodes had aired.

Now comes word that production will be shutting down before the holiday. The cast and crew were reportedly informed of the season wrap on Monday afternoon, as NBC was announcing their schedule. It surely wasn’t a surprise. Mario finishing episode 12 now and will complete number 13 before closing up shop.

There won’t be any more episodes produced for this season, despite the fact that the network ordered another half dozen scripts. Though NBC isn’t officially saying that Prime Suspect is cancelled, the cast and crew have been told that there won’t be a second season.

Theoretically, Prime Suspect could be brought back next season but that would mean that the network would have to put a lot of money into promoting a show that had been off the air for nine months, a show that couldn’t muster strong ratings after a big launch. Thus far the show’s averaged a dismal 1.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic and just 4.97 million viewers.

There’s simply no reason for the network to spend any more resources on Prime Suspect. For whatever reason, most of the network just weren’t interest in this TV series.

What do you think? Are you sorry that Prime Suspect is being cancelled and won’t be back for a second season?

marylou cook March 13, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Prime suspect was the best tv show for a few years. Everytime a good show is put on it gets cancelled almost immediaetly. It is a real shame for the writers who write good material. Instead we get junk like big bank theory and reality shows about people who have no talent at all. Like jersey shore and Kardianians. They better be saving their money because the viewing public will be getting tired of mindless junk. But then that may be where we are going.

B.Y.S. March 11, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Aargh. I loved this show. NBC NEVER gives it shows enough time to see if they work. Prime Suspect was an excellent show. I hope that TNT picks it up just as it did Southland and add on to its success!

Ann March 11, 2012 at 2:16 pm

sad to see they cancelled it. Was on my favorite show going on right now. Don’t care for the “Firm” that replaced it.

Lorna March 8, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Once again, the heads that should roll have pulled the plug on an excellent TV series. Prime Suspect was witty, well acted, wonderful stories happening in personal lives, as well as the drama unfolding through the weekly time slot. Bring it back. Bring back Law and Order, the original, bring on The Firm. Stop the slaughter of enjoyable television!

Chris March 8, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Great show – NBC, change the time slot and give Prime Suspect a chance!!!

Brian McCormack March 7, 2012 at 12:13 pm

NBC is the worst network. They will not give a show a chance to succeed. This was a good show with good characters. NBC does it again and will give us more “junk TV”
I will not watch a show on this network again. I’m tired of viewing a show and becoming interested and have it pulled.

Derek March 4, 2012 at 10:14 am

Must be poor promotion. The show had great characters who were all believable.

So many shows have actors that enjoy their job so much they are always smirking, even when the emotions of the scene call for something else.

Aaron March 3, 2012 at 5:26 pm

This is bull they are making a huge mistake like they did with southland. If they give it more time I think the show could pull more people in. If not I hope TNT picks it up like NBC’s other throw aways.

Candice Cain March 3, 2012 at 12:18 am

This was my favorite show of the season. Not happy if it’s canceled.

jodi March 1, 2012 at 7:32 pm

I loved this show. Can’t believe they cancelled it. Loved the strong woman with the good heart and the NY setting. They should bring it back. I kept waiting for the next episode and now I found out it was cancelled. Dumb move.

joe March 1, 2012 at 9:23 am

Prime Suspect was a very tough and true to life cop drama. Too many times this genre is glitzy and pouffy (Hawaii 5-0, or Blue Bloods) and not realistic. I gauge a cop drama against my experience of having a father who was a NYC policeman for 29 years. Shows like Prime Suspect or Southland capture the essence of what it’s like to be a cop.

Lara February 29, 2012 at 10:21 am

I am so totally disapointed I cannot beleive that NBC could be that stupid. Here was a show that my husband and I could finally agree on and they cancel it. I guess mindless shows work and something that has a good script and good acting dosen’t. Shame on you NBC.

Bolo February 28, 2012 at 10:05 pm

I am so pissed. I could barely wait all weed for this show to come on. The were the best characters of any show and Maria was so hot while needing a weekly botox fix. Network jerks. Whey don’t you put on something that reflects your greedy mindless personalities. A show about attorneys that twitter.

June Ahern February 19, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Being a fan of the BBC version I swore I wouldn’t watch but when I did, I was sold solid! Really good acting – best since the early Law and Order days with Lennie. I really loved this program and now gone? Are you kidding? The acting top notch, the stories intriguing. Brig it backkEK

Prf February 19, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Liked the show, better time slot might have helped.