Prime Suspect: Cancelled Now?

Prime Suspect canceledEarlier this week, NBC announced their mid-season schedule and, not surprisingly, low-rated Prime Suspect wasn’t on it. Supposedly NBC execs hadn’t cancelled the show and would still be “considering their options” until all 13 episodes had aired.

Now comes word that production will be shutting down before the holiday. The cast and crew were reportedly informed of the season wrap on Monday afternoon, as NBC was announcing their schedule. It surely wasn’t a surprise. Mario finishing episode 12 now and will complete number 13 before closing up shop.

There won’t be any more episodes produced for this season, despite the fact that the network ordered another half dozen scripts. Though NBC isn’t officially saying that Prime Suspect is cancelled, the cast and crew have been told that there won’t be a second season.

Theoretically, Prime Suspect could be brought back next season but that would mean that the network would have to put a lot of money into promoting a show that had been off the air for nine months, a show that couldn’t muster strong ratings after a big launch. Thus far the show’s averaged a dismal 1.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic and just 4.97 million viewers.

There’s simply no reason for the network to spend any more resources on Prime Suspect. For whatever reason, most of the network just weren’t interest in this TV series.

What do you think? Are you sorry that Prime Suspect is being cancelled and won’t be back for a second season?

Canceled and renewed TV show

395 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Tracy Deleon says

So upset to hear no more Prime Suspect!! Great show, need more shows with strong female leads. Always a great show when u can laugh!!!

2. KJ says

Can’t believe this actually happened – I’ve been waiting all spring for it to start airing again. What a smart, deep, drama and Maria Bello is just terrific. This was a perfect example of real characters – not all one thing, but complex and sometimes frustrating. So again, another sign that the masses just aren’t smart enough for quality programming, ugh.

3. says

So very disappointed nbc doesnt realize a quality show n cast when they have one prime suspect was that show. U keep shows like whitney on n other horrible programs but take off prime suspect its no worder nbc tv has such low ratings as a network please bring back prime suspect n the same cast member try again it will work

4. len says

In comparing the lame lineup for TV,I cannot understand why this excellent show got the deep six. Surely there must be a market(cable?)for an intelligent show where every viewer doesn’t have to “love ” the main character

5. Mirel says

They are finishing all the good shows. Hello, there are viewers with an IQ over 50 here!!! Do something for us too!

6. Tom Houle says

What a shame. I loved this show. The smart dialogue, the characters interplay, the plotting, everything about it rang true.

7. Bruce Hoeffer says

Well, there goes another show I enjoyed watching! Not much left that I care to watch. If it’s not about bachelors, dancing contests or a race around the world or a tropical getaway, then you don’t get to see it on TV. Please bring back Prime Suspect with Maria Bello! Thanks.

8. sassy says

So bummed! Was really one of my favorites this year!! NBC, please give this show another chance, possible after the Voice or more publicity. I never saw the actors on any of the talk shows. This show is top notch acting and story lines. Please give it another chance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. susan bleet says

Ijust took the time today to see if the internet could tell me why I can’t ever find prime suspect on at 10pm anymore. I loved the show and can’t understand why it was cancelled. There are many shows on tv that should have been cancelled before this one.I don’t know who has the authority to talk about ratings and who got the most ratings. No one called me to see what I think about it. I would have rated them highly.

10. Kim says

So disappointed. A really outstanding show. Good dialogue. Good plots. Not cheesy like most of the other cop shows on right now. Very bummed.

11. barb says

I cannot believe they got rid of the show. It was a really good show. Oh I am sorry something different than another reality show!