Prime Suspect: NBC Airs Last Episodes of Cancelled Series

Prime Suspect canceledLast night, NBC burned off the final two episodes of Prime Suspect. The TV series has been ratings-challenged right from the start and, in November, NBC acknowledged that they wouldn’t be ordering any installments beyond the initial 13 episode order. The official word was that they would re-evaluate once all of the episodes had aired but everyone knew that it was really being cancelled.

If there was even a glimmer of hope that Prime Suspect might see a second season, the ratings for the final episodes didn’t help. Prime Suspect’s numbers continued to dwindle in the latter part of 2011. Last night, following a month hiatus, the finale registered a new series low.

Prime Suspect has been all but officially cancelled by NBC and its replacement, The Firm, is doing even worse. Last Thursday’s episode registered a 0.9 rating for its fourth episode. It took Prime Suspect 10 weeks to drop that low. Fortunately for fans of The Firm, NBC purchased 22 episodes up front. It remains to be seen if they’ll all air.

At the recent TCA press tour, NBC execs noted that, had Prime Suspect been on a premium cable channel like Showtime, it would have been declared a hit and would have been quickly renewed. Maybe but we’ll never know.

What do you think? Are you sorry that this was the end of Prime Suspect? Why do you think it didn’t catch on? Would it have been a hit on HBO or Showtime or even on a basic cable station like TNT?

Canceled and renewed TV show

280 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. joanna says

i started watching this show through an android app i download. i thought I’d check it out while i was on the train on the way to work and see if it was worth watching at home. i was totally hooked and couldn’t wait for the new season to start. i waited for the season premiere, when i didn’t see any previews for it i decided to look it up on the NBC website only to find out the show had been cancelled! it was one of the best new shows I’ve seen in a long time. maybe the NBC execs are to blame, I got to tell you, i don’t remember seeing too many previews of the show the season it was on. Come on guys, the cast and the storylines were great! NBC use to be one of my favorite networks but the past few years some of the decisions they have made have been very disappointing.

2. says

:( I’m learning the hard way not to get into a show until I know if it’s going to be renewed or not. Seems like all the junk I hate is always getting aired again, but I actually enjoyed Prime Suspect…It would be nice if the show were renewed.

3. says

Another one of our favs cancelled…BUMMER!! I can’t believe it. I just found out about AWAKE and now this. Holy Smokes! It doesn’t even pay to start watching something new on NBC anymore! Please reconsider these two shows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Mary says

We recorded all the episodes and are only just now viewing them. I wonder if others have done that and thus it might appear that fewer people are watching than actually are (or will be). My husband and I love the show! We’ve always enjoyed Maria Bello’s work, and we think the rest of the cast is excellent as well. The story line is well written…I think this program just slipped between the cracks…was not given enough coverage. Mr. TV Execs, please renew!!

5. Eileen says

This was one of the very few NEW shows that was really enjoyable. Characters were very good. Great Chemistry. Good Story-lines. It may not be original story-telling however it carries very well considering the format. Casting is excellent. Typical Networks if it doesn’t get viewers within the first two episodes — THE END. Viewers tend to be a bit more considerate when new shows are aired. This show is very popular outside the US. It only t0ok 2-3 episodes to really get involved with the characters. Other shows – no matter how much time you invest in them – never live up to expectations yet amazingly seem to get 2nd/3rd and 4th seasons!!!!

6. Cathy McKinney says

I can’t believe that NBC cancelled Prime Suspect. It was one of the better shows on this year. NBC needs to listen to the people before they get trounced even worse by the other networks.

7. jacky says

love love love this show, I just don’t understand why it would be cancelled. put it on again, one of the best shows I’ve seen in a very long time.

8. Donna says

I loved Prime Suspect. I’m sick about this cancellation. Great cast and excellent acting. What a shame to end it now!

9. A jos says

Another reason I need to quit watching network television. Every show I like gets canceled! Enough of the reality shows!!!

10. Bobvila says

Prime Suspect is a great show. Great ensemble cast, well written, witty banter, interesting story lines = target for cancellation. Go figure. Is everything just about ratings and ad dollars? I guess so.