Private Practice: Season Six Ratings

private practice season six ratingsLast May it was announced that Kate Walsh would be leaving Private Practice after 13 episodes, leading many to believe that the show would be cancelled. ABC reps say that the show’s fate hasn’t been decided yet. It will likely depend heavily on the ratings.

The sixth season of Private Practice typically airs Tuesday nights on the ABC network. The cast includes Kate Walsh, Amy Brenneman, Benjamin Bratt, Brian Benben, Caterina Scorsone, Griffin Gluck, KaDee Strickland, Paul Adelstein, and Taye Diggs.

Here are the TV show’s ratings for the 2012-13 season, the best way to tell if Private Practice is going to be cancelled or renewed for season seven.

Final season averages: 1.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 4.64 million total viewers.

Episode 06-13: Tuesday, 01/22/13 (series finale)
1.5 in the demo (+25% change) with 5.32 million (+30% change).
Season averages: 1.33 in the demo with 4.64 million.

Episode 06-12: Tuesday, 01/15/13
1.2 in the demo (+9% change) with 4.10 million (+2% change).
Season averages: 1.32 in the demo with 4.58 million.

ABC TV show ratingsEpisode 06-11: Tuesday, 01/08/13
1.1 in the demo (-8% change) with 4.01 million (+4% change).
Season averages: 1.33 in the demo with 4.63 million.

Episode 06-10: Tuesday, 12/18/12
1.2 in the demo (0% change) with 3.84 million (-1% change).
Season averages: 1.35 in the demo with 4.69 million.

Episode 06-09: Tuesday, 12/11/12
1.2 in the demo (0% change) with 3.87 million (-12% change).
Season averages: 1.37 in the demo with 4.78 million.

Episode 06-08: Tuesday, 12/04/12
1.2 in the demo (+20% change) with 4.42 million (+18% change).
Season averages: 1.39 in the demo with 4.90 million.

Episode 06-07: Wednesday, 11/21/12
1.0 in the demo (-23% change) with 3.76 million (-11% change).
Season averages: 1.41 in the demo with 4.97 million.

Episode 06-06: Tuesday, 11/20/12
1.3 in the demo (+18% change) with 4.24 million (+14% change).
Season averages: 1.48 in the demo with 5.17 million.

Episode 06-05: Tuesday, 11/13/12
1.1 in the demo (-21% change) with 3.72 million (-19% change).
Season averages: 1.52 in the demo with 5.35 million.

Episode 06-04: Tuesday, 10/23/12
1.4 in the demo (-13% change) with 4.58 million (-24% change).
Season averages: 1.63 in the demo with 5.76 million.

UPDATE: ABC has announced that this season will be the show’s last.

Episode 06-03: Tuesday, 10/09/12
1.6 in the demo (0% change) with 6.00 million (0% change).
Season averages: 1.70 in the demo with 6.15 million.

Episode 06-02: Tuesday, 10/02/12
1.6 in the demo (-16% change) with 6.01 million (-7% change).
Season averages: 1.75 in the demo with 6.23 million.

Episode 06-01: Tuesday, 09/25/12
1.9 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.45 million total viewers.
Season averages: 1.90 in the demo with 6.45 million.

Year-to-year, the season debut of Private Practice was down by 32% in the demo (vs a 2.8 rating) and down by 17% in viewership (vs 7.79 million).

Reference point: The 2011-12 season averaged a 2.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 6.81 million viewers.

What do you think? Do you still like the Private Practice TV series? Do you think it should be cancelled or renewed for a seventh season?

Amazon.com Widgets

Sunni Ray February 6, 2013 at 8:46 am

I loved Private Practice & will miss it…but I’ve got an idea to let the show live on in a whole hilarious, exciting thrill ride —- have the show become focused on Cooper & Charlotte raing their son & those adorable triplets. Shonda Rhimes, you are amazing! so take these brilliant characters that you created & I’m quite sure a huge hit will emerge as you take them to an all new level!

Sandy Newbigging January 26, 2013 at 9:27 am

Love the show. I’ve never missed an episode. I wish it would continue!!

maggie davis January 25, 2013 at 8:18 pm

the show was brilliant, the last episode, gorgeously conceived and written.
we need shows like this to blast open our hearts and keep us open.

Barbara January 23, 2013 at 11:18 pm

Private Practice still has many stories to tell….even with out some of the characters…as an off shoot of Grey’s Anatomy it has developed into a great show, the characters and situations have surpassed Grey’s Anatomy. We need a new series that will off shoot into another series with some of those same characters…..”Seaside'”?

Kristy January 23, 2013 at 12:37 am

I love Private Practice, I must watch it every week I could not believe this week was the series finale. Please don’t cancel one of my favorite shows I like how it ties in with Grey’s from time to time.

Lucas Corso January 10, 2013 at 9:43 am

Private Practice is still on the air? Good lord, . . six seasons? You’ve got to be kidding me. On the strength of Grey’s Anatomy rep (a favorite of my wife), we watched the first season. It was quite possibly the worst television show I’ve ever saw.

LINDA dawson January 7, 2013 at 9:45 pm

very good sh wanna not wanna watch new shows airing. ow.never miss a show.we get interested to watch every week.next thing you know up and cancelled.makes you

K. English December 19, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Love Private Practice. Kate Walsh is great BUT she is NOT the whole show. Hope it stays on as there are so few good shows on these days, too much violence and sex. Why not Kkep a good medical drama going.

ROBIN KIDD December 4, 2012 at 1:24 pm

LEAVE PRIVATE PRACTICE ALONE!!!

Jewel November 26, 2012 at 3:25 pm

One of my top favs. It is one of those shows I must watch in real time, during the first airing. I rarely wait to watch the recorded on DVR, but am thankful it is now avail on on-demand! Please do not cancel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Billi Jo October 24, 2012 at 8:34 pm

I just started to really get interested..I now watch all the reruin..I love this show…Please dont cancel!!!!

Anonymous October 20, 2012 at 6:47 pm

I love private practice. I am saddened to hear of the cancellation.

Georgia October 11, 2012 at 10:26 am

This show is now up against Vegas and Parenthood. No wonder it’s floundering. I record both of those shows and watch Private Practice on Demand, becasue CBS doesn’t have shows on Demand. Sure wish Private Practice still followed Grey’s Anatomy.

Chris October 2, 2012 at 8:09 pm

I think it is unfair to judge the show based on ratings when many people may have forgotten that he show was moved from Thursday to Tuesday at the end of the season. I only noticed when I checked my DVR recordings that I misse the season opener because I forgot too. I feel like the network is setting the show up for failure. The new show scandal could have easily been slotted for Tuesday from the start.

Diane R.Hunter October 2, 2012 at 5:35 pm

With so little to watch on TV. these days, I think it wouldbe a big mistake to cancel Private Practice. It is a great show with great actors & great scripts. It is also in a good time slot. Monday has Castle, Tuesday has Private Practice. There is so much potential for interesting scripts that could delve into the psycological aspects of life. I vote keep it on the next few years. I