Private Practice: TV Series Ending; No Season Seven

Series creator Shonda Rhimes has announced that the current season of Private Practice will be the show’s last. The medical drama, a spin-off of Grey’s Anatomy, has been declining in the ratings for some time.

ABC only ordered 13 episodes for the current sixth season and star Kate Walsh had said she was planning to leave at that time. The network declined to say that the show was ending, likely wanting to wait and see how the ratings did this season. They have not been good.

Back in July, Rhimes told THR, “I’ve been told I’m not allowed to approach this as the final season, that the network does not believe that approaching it as the final season is the way they want to go.”

Tonight, Rhimes broke the news to fans:

I’m sad to say that Private Practice’s run will end after episode 613 this season. There was a lot of discussion and debate but, in the end, the guys at the network and the studio and I all decided that Private Practice was reaching its finish line. Creatively, we are all extremely proud of the show and especially proud of this season — which you will all soon discover is a creative renaissance. I can’t wait for you to see it.

It’s heartbreaking to end. Truly. I feel so lucky to write for these characters and tell these stories and I truly feel this show has taught me so much as a writer. And there’s a family here, of crew and cast, people who have bonded over these past five and a half seasons. It’s rare for a show to go for more than 100 episodes and we are incredibly proud to have been such a show. And we’re grateful to all of you for spending time with us for an hour every week for the last 6 years. It’s meant the world.

Thank you.

Presumably this decision was made in time for Rhimes, the cast and crew to be able to wrap up the show’s storylines in a satisfying way. Word is that many of the remaining episodes will be told from the point of view of individual characters. Addison’s will air on November 13th.

The final episode is expected to air in February and ABC has said they plan to heavily market the finale.

What do you think? Are you sorry that Private Practice is ending this season or did it go on too long? What will you miss about it?

Melissa January 20, 2013 at 11:14 pm

I am getting so sick of watching ABC and loving shows just to have them cancelled. Private Practice is one THE BEST SHOWS on tv today. What is wrong with you people. I am with Jean…how are they getting their ratings? I always dvr private practice and most of the shows I watch due to my work schedule. It sickens me to see it go. PLEASE RECONSIDER!!!!!

Laurie January 20, 2013 at 9:00 am

Can’t believe this show is being canceled!!! I look forward to this one each week! Gotta love Charlotte!!! LOL

JOni January 19, 2013 at 1:22 am

I cant believe this show is ending. I look forward to it every week and have been a loyal watcher since the beginning! Im sorry Kate (Walsh) feels the need to go off the show, but it is good enough to go on without her. I am going to miss the characters (espicially Cooper and Charlotte). Why is it everytime something good comes along, it is taken off the air. Just PLEASE no more FOOD shows (like The Chew) to replace it!!! Please reconsider ABC.

Anonymous January 18, 2013 at 10:09 pm

spin-off with coop and the triplets!!!!

Ann Laws January 18, 2013 at 11:43 am

This has been the best show on TV. why in the world would you want to cancel the show. Even if a few left the show it could still be just as interesting. Don’t begin a great show and then take it off. Crazy..

Katlturn January 18, 2013 at 3:49 am

I love Private Practice! The ensemble cast are great actors, and the story lines are creative, dynamic and excellent in every way. I will truly miss this show!

anonymous January 17, 2013 at 9:48 am

I am really disappointed the show will be ending….won’t you reconsider and not cancel…still alot of story left to be told.

Anonymous January 17, 2013 at 7:08 am

I for one hate that it’s ending when they moved it toTuesday nights
It wasn’t hardly advertised and easy not to remember
It was airing I love the show and will greatly miss it!

Shirley January 16, 2013 at 6:48 pm

This a great show! I love the characters…all of them! There is so much trash on television it’s a pleasure to watch I show that has so many elements and engages ones intellect. So sorry it has to come to an end. Try another network…I will tune in.

Lea January 16, 2013 at 2:23 am

Whhhhyyyyy this is an awesome show. I will miss this show. There are people out here that watch this show, wow this totally sucks…

Diana January 16, 2013 at 12:10 am

Makes me sick…this is a great show, I hate to see what kind of crap will replace it…love, love, love this show

VERY SADDEN January 15, 2013 at 11:10 pm

I can not believe that the ratings on this show is bad enough to cancel the program. It is a very good show that I have followed faithfully and I am going to miss it very much. I sure hope that the network will reconsider and keep it on. Please do not cancel.

SAD January 13, 2013 at 10:42 pm

I love the show love the show i am so sad it is going offf.

Jean January 11, 2013 at 1:04 pm

I love the show and have always watched. Are the ratings measured by those who watch in real time or do they count those of us who record and watch on our time? The story lines are interesting and the acting is great. Even if it is a spin-off of Grey’s Anatomy, the only similarities are medicine and personal involvement. Sorry to see it go.

Heart broken January 9, 2013 at 8:34 pm

I don’t understand why the network would take off a great show. I pray they change their minds. And leave it on. Tuesday night without addison,& Cooper. Please hear our cry and leave it on.