Private Practice

Private Practice Network: ABC
Episodes: 111 (hour)
Seasons: Six

TV show dates: September 26, 2007 – January 22, 2013
Series status: Ending

Performers include: Kate Walsh, Tim Daly, Audra McDonald, Paul Adelstein, KaDee Strickland, Chris Lowell, Taye Diggs, Amy Brenneman, David Sutcliffe, Reef Karim, Geffri Maya Hightower, Jayne Brook, Brian Benben, Jay Harrington, Jane Clark, Andy Milder, Nina Siemaszko, Christopher Wiehl, Karen Strassman, David Pearl, Shavon Kirksey, Kathy Christopherson, Jeffrey Doornbos, Frederick Keith Johnson, Siena Goines, and Sharon Leal.

current TV show

TV show description:
Having left Seattle Grace Hospital behind, renowned surgeon Dr. Addison Forbes Montgomery (Kate Walsh) moves to Los Angeles to begin a new life.

Addison joins the chic co-op Oceanside Wellness Center that’s owned by two of her medical school friends; fertility and hormone specialist Dr. Naomi Bennett (Audra McDonald) and internist and self-help book author Dr. Sam Bennett (Taye Diggs). The newly divorced couple agree on very little except for the love of their daughter Maya (Shavon Kirksey).

Others working at the clinic include pediatrician Dr. Cooper Freedman (Paul Adelstein) who’s a professional success but always has disastrous dates; Cooper’s closest friend and a recent divorcee, psychiatrist Dr. Violet Turner (Amy Brenneman); confident alternative medicine specialist Dr. Pete Wilder (Tim Daly) who’s attracted to Addison but is still healing from his wife’s tragic death eight years earlier; and the center’s young surfer receptionist, William Dell Parker (Chris Lowell), who aspires to be a midwife some day.

Conflicting with the doctors is the Chief of Staff of the nearby hospital, Dr. Charlotte King (KaDee Strickland), who believes the co-op doctors’ unorthodox methods are inferior to her own.

The series is a spin-off of Grey’s Anatomy.
space

Series Finale

Episode #111 — “In Which We Say Goodbye”
Addison is getting married — maybe. She freaks out before the ceremony and is ready to call the whole thing off until Naomi walks through the door. Suddenly, all is right with the world. The wedding is on. Addy and Jake exchange “I do’s” in front of all their friends in a beautiful ceremony and it’s time to party.

Everyone keeps busy at the reception. Jake shares a dance with his daughter, who is still dating her much older college professor. Sheldon is beaming as he shows off Miranda to his friends. Cooper confiscates Charlotte’s phone so she’ll stop checking on the Cooplets at home.

Violet jots down notes on a napkin for her new book. Sam sneaks away from Stephanie to check out some family photos with Naomi. Then the two of them sneak off together — to make use of the bed in a hotel room.

Three months after the wedding, Naomi visits the practice during a business trip. Addison realizes that her best friend is pregnant. She also learns that things haven’t worked out with Fife. In fact, he’s moved out and they’re done.

Naomi is upset when she learns that the reason that Sam broke up with Addison is because he didn’t want kids. That’s why she’s keeping the fact that she’s pregnant with her ex-hubby’s baby a secret.

Addison promises Naomi that she won’t tell Sam about the baby. She does, however, mention that his ex-wife is still in love with him. This has Sam realizing that he’s not in love with Stephanie so, he starts to give her “the speech.” Stephanie walks out because she knows where this is heading. She says the next time Sam wants a second chance with a woman, he better mean it.

Holly is a young woman who lost her parents and boyfriend in a car crash. She’s been in therapy for six years to help deal with the guilt she has for surviving. Violet feels she’s ready to face life on her own. Her patient feels differently. That’s why this talented cook wants to ditch an opportunity to go to Le Cordon Bleu. Violet convinces her that anything worth having is scary, but also worth the fight. So, Holly is off to Paris.

Miranda collapses in the office. Sheldon realizes that she’s really dying now. Miranda knows this as well which is why she pushes Sheldon away. She doesn’t want him suffer through all the indignities that are in the last leg of a really long, painful journey. Sheldon is devastated.

Cooper believes his three new babies are conspiring against him. As soon as he changes one diaper, another one needs to be changed, just to drive him crazy. Cooper insists that they hire a nanny before his psychosis drives him to, one day, have an affair with another mom who has a kid on the same feeding schedule. The man has a solid argument.

Jake is upset to learn that Angela wants to go to Europe because Eli is teaching a semester abroad. Sheldon says there’s not much anyone can do when such a powerful emotion like love is involved. Then, he quits his job and heads off to find Miranda. Sheldon lets her know that he’s honored to be able to take care of the woman he loves in her final days. He’s not walking away. As for Jake, he lets Angela know that the only thing that matters to him is that she’s happy. He also lets her know that she’ll always be his girl.

Sheldon’s speech to Jake also inspires Sam to follow his heart. He bursts into a meeting to pour out his feelings to Naomi. He’s knows that she’s the only woman he’s ever truly loved. She’s his family. Naomi thinks he’s saying these things out of a sense of obligation for the baby. This catches Sam completely off guard. He had no idea there was a baby. He came there for her. The baby is just icing.

As the episode began, Addison was recording a video message about finding someone to love for the rest of your life. We now learn that the video was shot for another wedding — Sam and Naomi’s. James tells Amelia that they’ll be doing this someday, too.

Later, Violet announces that she’s completed her new book. It’s about joy, life and how it’s all a journey. She’s thinking of calling it Private Practice. The docs argue about whether or not this is a great title as the episode ends.
First aired: January 22, 2013

space
What do you think? Do you like the Private Practice TV series? Are you sorry that the show ended when it did?

Cathy February 27, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Pricate Pratice was one of my all time favorite Show. There a few others as well. Along with there is Greys Anatomy, Castle, & Body Of Evidence. We do not need any more Police Shows… What we have is enough. Am getting a little tired of Dancing with the Stars. American Idol is Fantastic. One of the Best of all the Talent Shows. Could go on but why take off the best???

J. R. Patterson February 26, 2013 at 5:35 am

This was one of my wife’s two favorite TV shows. The other is Criminal Minds. She is definitely sorry to see this series end. Personally, I was not fond of the direction the series took in the last two years, but I am still surprised to see it cancelled. By the way, I watched a few episodes of Grey’s Anatomy and found the characters and the stories to be rather unappealing, so we never really got into Private Practice’s predecessor at all. My final comment about the cancellation of Private Practice is, when you look at the failure rate of new shows that are attempted each season, I have to wonder about the wisdom of dropping such a successful / popular show after only six seasons.

Diane February 24, 2013 at 9:55 pm

I am truly going to miss watching this show. I totally agree with the other comments, I too am tired of reality & police or detective shows. I couldn’t wait to watch this show every week. I think it should be brought back for another year or two.

chester fleury February 21, 2013 at 9:24 pm

here we go again, One of the best tv programs on tv so you send it packing .I guess an other reality show will be taking its place. I guess it’s time to sell my five tvs and turn on the radio, I can see that with in five years that’s all you will see is reaity shows to bad!!!

Nora Manzolillo January 30, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Sorry to see this show end… I really enjoyed it! The one night when I was not watching the shows my husband likes…. NCIS, Law and Order, Blue Bloods, etc.

Dena January 29, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Private Practice has been one of my favorites since it first came on. I agree with those that wonder why all the good shows are cancelled for violence and reality ones. I watch more and cable TV and old reruns because most of the network shows are not worth watching. None of the shows I really like seem to stay on very long.

Elizabeth January 26, 2013 at 10:17 pm

I am vey upset abot the show coming to an end. We needed o get to know Cooper’s babies. It was/is one of the better shows and it could last a little longer. I liked the characters and the action . Why can’t it come back for 3or4 shows and let us get to know Cooper’s girls. Think about it.

Sheila January 23, 2013 at 7:52 pm

I agree with the comments of this show being cancelled is such a waste…it was and is the best show on TV…they take off the good shows and replace with crap or better yet reality show…

Anonymous January 25, 2013 at 6:47 pm

totally agree

PJ January 23, 2013 at 7:22 pm

Not to sound selfish but it seems that every time I really, really like a show it gets cancelled for one reason or another. I am about to give up on TV altogether because I do not like all the stupid comedy, or shows that are violent. There is only so much ncis and realty shows one can watch. The networks take all the good adult quality shows off the air. I really enjoyed ER, its gone, I use to like Grays Anatomy but that is just getting boring with the whole place crash plot and now Private Practive.
Not sure what the networks are trying to do increase ratings or decrease them???

P.A. Harris January 17, 2013 at 10:55 pm

I think the decision is ridiculous. This is one of the BEST series on TV. Who makes the decisions and what are they smokng???

DeeAnna January 15, 2013 at 11:13 pm

I can’t believe you’re going to take this show off! Why do you people get us addicted to these great shows and then take them off? Don’t you listen to your audiences at all? Why take our favs? Why not something else? You want us to like something and then when we do, you pull the plug! What’s up with that??????????

DeeAnna January 15, 2013 at 11:07 pm

This is a very bad decision!

Tina H January 15, 2013 at 11:04 pm

I can’t believe you are canceling this show, I love this series! I will really miss it!! I have watched this since the beginning of the series as well as Greys Anatomy, I really like Greys also,but like this one even more! BOOOO

R. J. Cole November 13, 2012 at 10:59 pm

I typed a comment and submitted it. Why do you need another? You erased my other comment.

admin November 13, 2012 at 11:42 pm

Uh, no I didn’t.

R. J. Cole November 13, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Why cancel this show? It was one of the best until you changed the format this season. Bring back the old storyline, and keep the show on ABC . There are not that many good shows left. Why are you taking anything of quality off the network?
This show and Castle and Revenge and Dancing With the Stars are the best!!!!!!!!