Pushing Daisies: ABC Cancels Beloved Fantasy TV Show

Pushing DaisiesTo little surprise, ABC has decided to pass on ordering additional episodes of Pushing Daisies. After a critically-acclaimed and ratings-challenged run, will faithful viewers get some closure?

Pushing Daisies follows the story of an unusual pie-maker (Lee Pace) who can bring people back from the dead. With the help of his previously-deceased girlfriend (Anna Friel) and his detective partner (Chi McBride), the trio solve mysteries by briefly reanimating corpses and asking them questions. Other characters are played by Kristin Chenoweth, Swoosie Kurtz, Ellen Greene, and Jim Dale (the show’s unseen narrator).

Daisies debuted in October 2007 and, though the ratings weren’t good by the end of the first season, ABC renewed the show for a second year. The network execs hoped the show would catch on with a larger audience in season two. It didn’t and has only averaged six million viewers each week. Last night’s episode marked a series low in the ratings.

As a result, ABC has opted not to order any additional episodes. The network has avoided saying that it’s actually cancelled the show. The series could possibly return at a later date but, considering Daisies’ ratings track record, that is highly unlikely. More likely, the network is trying to avoid backlash from devoted and disappointed fans.

The network hasn’t announced plans to pull Daisies from the schedule thus far so hopefully ABC will finish airing season two. Though the series finale will give some closure, it’s been reported that it will leave devoted viewers screaming for more. Chenoweth recently said, “[There’s] not really resolution, which bums me out, but what you’re left with is hope.”

The reason for leaving viewers without a conclusion is somewhat of a mystery since producers were told in advance that this would likely be the final installment. For whatever reason, season creator Bryan Fuller decided to go the way he did. Filming an alternate ending was considered too expensive a proposition considering the show’s extremely tight budget.

If the network does pull Daisies before all of the episodes have aired, they’ll certainly be released on DVD at some point. Fuller has also said that he has plans to continue the tale of Ned the piemaker and friends in comic book form, likely with DC Comics. Fuller says he’s already in talks with the publisher and has a movie idea ready to pitch as well.

Though there won’t be any new episodes, it doesn’t look like these characters will be going six feet under any time soon. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Kytes March 4, 2009 at 6:20 am

I hope they bring out a PD movie, I really love this tv-show

nick February 28, 2009 at 7:55 am

This is a typical. There is a realy good tv-show and the bosses will cancel them….

SchwarzeMaid February 25, 2009 at 3:19 pm

I am German and in this time, this was the best show ever :( Today’s Tv Shows in Germany aren’t that good like pushing daisys. Stupid Rubish. I wish it would not happen..

roy February 13, 2009 at 7:18 pm

it was a good show like dead like me other show got cancelled

Deedee February 12, 2009 at 9:07 pm

Where is the petition for this show? I’m ready to sign!!!!! ABC needs to bring back this show!!!!!!! Please don’t kill Pushing Daisies!!!!!!!!!

Sarah February 5, 2009 at 7:55 pm

What can we do to bring Pushing Daisies back? It was a truly inovative show.
The problem was with ABC’s scheduling. A different day or even one hour later would have made a significant difference since so many attend church on Wednesday nights. We couldn’t watch without taping or viewing online.

jazz February 4, 2009 at 11:57 pm

why would you do this to me.. although i miss it bt i always watch it online.. i love this show so much!!!

Ashley February 4, 2009 at 5:36 pm

That;s too bad. My husband and I really enjoyed watching this show. I’d like to see a movie. Maybe it could save the show from being cancelled.

Sanja January 30, 2009 at 3:35 pm

I can’t believe you canceled Pushing Daisies. This is a great show. Something to look forward to on tv. My boyfriend and I bought all the episodes on itunes because we were never home on time to watch it. Did you look at those reviews and numbers of fans commenting on how great this show is?
I guess you’ll be putting on some crapy reality “America has pets, beauty, can dance, woodoo dolls… ” or some “Celebrity boob jobs, or plastic surgery, rehab” bs…
Bring back good TV!!!! Bring Pushing Daisies back!

Karla January 28, 2009 at 2:52 pm

I cant understand for the life of me why pushing daisies is being cancelled. The actors mesh very well together. Even the narrator. I really enjoy this show very much, I used to look forward to wednesday night tv. Now, I will just watch cable tv. The networks really have nothing to offer me.
I’m also upset about Eli Stone! Very good show but the networks want to keep putting on these shows that spin off from other shows. No thought, no creativity what so ever. Oh well. I’ll definately make sure my cable bill is paid up.

>=O January 28, 2009 at 3:40 am

Seriously. This show is epic. If you cancel this show not only will I stop watching abc but I won’t even need to turn on my tv anymore. Thanks jerks. =(

Traci January 8, 2009 at 7:59 pm

I cannot believe this show has been cancelled. I am also concerned about Dirty Sexy Money. ABC-Boston Legal was great, but you cancelled that one. Pushing Daisies fantsastic!! What do you do? Cancel it. Dirty Sexy Money is hanging by a thread. However, more reality shows are the answer, I suppose. I don’t think I’ll be watching your network anymore. Good Job!! Maybe you will alienate all of your viewers that crave intelligent well-written shows.

Joe H. January 7, 2009 at 8:28 pm

Pushing Daisies was the only show I watched on network TV. Shame on you ABC. You’re cancelling the best show on your network in years. I’m sure Daisies will be replaced by another reality show.

Everyone please sign the petition. I am hopeful that Daisies will find a new home – on a Cable network – where all shows of quality are now aired.

NICOLE December 27, 2008 at 1:07 am

OMG NO I CANT BELIEVE THEY WANT TO CALCEL THIS SHOW IT IS THE ONLY SHOW ON TV THAT I LOOK FOWARD TO WATCHING EVERY WENSDAY IT IS REALLY ANNOYING THAT THEY WOULD RATHER CANCEL THIS WONDERFUL MYSTERIOUS ADVENTUREOUS LOVE FELT SHOW TO PUT ANOTHER CRAPPY REALITY SHOW OR ANOTHER STUPIED CSI, LOST OR LAW COP SHOWS IM SICK OF THEM THEY ARE RETARTED U DONT HAVE ANY GOOD TV BECAUSE THE NETWORKS DONT GIVE THE SHOWS ENOUGH CHANCE TO LAST THEY CANCEL THEM RIGHT AWAY BUT THEY LEAVE STUPIED LOST ON FOR 21 MILLLION SEASONS IT SEEMS NO ONE STILL KNOWS WHT THE HELL IS GOING ON ON THAT GOD FOR SACKEN ISLAND ITS RETARTED, THEY NEED TO KEEP PUSHING DASIES ON THE AIR IT WAS THE BEST SHOW ON TV RIGHT NOW THEY NEED MORE SHOWS LIKE IT !! KEEP IT ON !!!!

Nicole December 26, 2008 at 9:00 pm

I cannot believe they are pulling the plug on this show! I look forward to Wednesday nights to watch this!!! It is one of the most creative shows I’ve seen in a LONG time. If they let this go along with Dirty Sexy Money, I guess I will have to watch re-runs of Raymond and Seinfeld, or no TV at all, because there is NOTHING ELSE to watch!!