Pushing Daisies: Cancelled ABC Series Finally Returns; Then What?

Pushing DaisiesAfter a five month hiatus, Pushing Daisies returns tonight with the first of three unaired episodes. ABC of course cancelled the show months ago due to low ratings.

Though the final episode (airing in the U.S. on June 13th) was initially a cliffhanger, series creator Bryan Fuller went back and reedited the final few moments. They’re now a flash-forward to give viewers a sense of closure to the show.

But, the story of the piemaker and his friends isn’t over just yet. While the TV show has ended, Fuller is hard at work on a 12 issue series of Pushing Daisies comic books for DC Comics. The printed stories will, in part, fill in the time gap between most the last episode and the brief flash-forward. They’ll also take us in a whole new direction.

Fuller recently teased EOnline, “I think the comic book is great, because it has all the characters in it, and it starts a new story. It’s basically Chuck, Ned, Emerson and Olive versus 1,000 corpses, so it becomes a zombie movie, but the zombies are articulate and smart and can do things that no other zombies can do. The Pie-Maker versus 1,000 corpses.”

If that goes well, Fuller hopes there will be more. He said, “I literally just finished outlining the 12-episode arc, which has an ending that propels us into another big story, so it’s kind of blackmailing [DC] into ordering more comics, but we’ll see if that’ll happen. We were unable to blackmail ABC, and we had to go back and redo our [television] ending, so it’s more satisfying for the fans.”

No word on when the comics will be released but there’s also the season two DVDs to look forward to. The set is scheduled to be released on July 21st and will include lots of featurettes and other tasty tidbits.

Rene June 15, 2009 at 3:24 pm

I was hoping that the widespread use of DVRs would help prevent the rampant cancelling of the few good shows we get. We can’t always watch every show we like because many are competing in the same time slots. I’m sure the networks get instant lists of how many people are tuning in and, with DVRs, they can also see what’s being recorded. I thought this might help save some of the shows. Guess not because almost every show I like has been cut. I just don’t get it. There are so many channels now, why do they insist on airing nothing but reality show garbage. I’m interested in stories, plots and characters (with different personalities, not a show with 10 people all acting & reacting exactly alike)

Amy June 13, 2009 at 6:57 pm

First Men in Trees and now Pushing Daisies… I think I’ve lost all hope for television programming for interesting humans! How many “… of Love” series will there be before someone finally brings back shows with a plot and characters??? Maybe I should just give up and have that lobotomy so that what’s left on tv is more appealing.

Michelle June 12, 2009 at 8:05 pm

Why doesn’t ABC get smart like ABC Family and other networks that break up the TV season? Then shows have a much LARGER viewing audience and we have a wide variety of new episodes throughout the year!

BRING PUSHING DAISIES BACK !!!!

P.S.: I agree with Robert…..

Robert June 12, 2009 at 7:10 pm

Any show that is smartly written and entertaning seems to go bye-bye. People must get more and more stupid because all they want to show is The Bachelor or The Bachelorette or Dancing with the Stars. Something with great writing, acting, and quirky plots that keep your interest seems to be of little concern to studio executives.

Pushing Daisies is such a show. I would hope that someone else would see it as its fans do and keep it alive. But everything in TV revolves around the Dollar, and we all know what happens to a show that does not hold up to the scrutiny of one Mr. Neilsen.

MAtteo June 12, 2009 at 12:51 pm

Cancelling this show was one of the worst things ABC has ever done, i mean come on, take this awesome show oof and then put the crap called cupid back on air, W?T. I swear every network is getting stupid

Jorge June 9, 2009 at 12:56 pm

Hey, I’m Jorge from Portugal.
I love this show! :D It’s funny…

But, I’ve a doubt… How many episodes the second season has?

Kathy June 7, 2009 at 9:09 am

God, I loved this show. It’s going to be so sad to see it go. I’ll actually have to buy those comics (I hope it’s a good artist!!!)… what a wonderful and whimsical show, I’m so glad it at least got a little chance. I wish ABC had more faith in its shows.

Melissa June 7, 2009 at 5:33 am

When I saw that Pushing Daisies was back on a few weeks ago with new episodes I was stunned. I LOVE this show! I also wish that another network would pick it up so I could see more of this great comedy :(

ben June 6, 2009 at 7:52 pm

This was probably the best show on T.V. What a mistake to take away this program!! It seems that the networks are trying to make us dumber and dumber with these stupid reality shows. For once we had something intelligent, aesthetic and creative. I am so disappointed that people don’t want quality anymore!

DB June 2, 2009 at 5:46 pm

i was overjoyed to see the brief return of the most original show on tv last saturday. seeing the last three episode death march only made me sadder. yes, it’s good to know the story will live on in comic book form. but honestly, i’d much rather seeing tv movies, maybe miniseries, or actual theatrical movie than comic book because…i don’t read comic books.

Kristy June 2, 2009 at 3:12 am

Wow, I can’t believe this. The networks are cutting most of my favorite shows. This is another one that’s going to leave us. I loved how it was so bright and cheerful. Kristin Chenoweth as Olive is my favorite actor. I looked forward to seeing the show because of her acting skills, and the character she plays. I’m going to miss this show. I can’t believe they’re going to cancel another great show. I’m so disappointed. I’m not really into comics so much. I’d rather watch it on the television.

d.payne June 1, 2009 at 9:59 am

this is the death of television. considering whats on tv a show like DAISIES is what tv is supposed be not reality tv. we get enough reality. we got a fine gem with this show i pray someone grabs it and it takes off and haha abc then. P.D. FANS MUST GET EVERYONE YOU KNOW TOO SIGN THE PETITION,MAYBE WE CAN GET OUR FINGER TOO BRING NED BACK TOO LIFE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Emma May 31, 2009 at 11:11 pm

Comics are great… but I too wish that Pushing Daisies could live on in its original format; picked up by another network, whatever… I just don’t think that the true heart of the show can be adequately captured by a graphic novel.

Joe Doyle May 31, 2009 at 9:15 am

Oh, so they are making a comic book? Nice! I love that!

MK May 31, 2009 at 8:27 am

I watched last night’s episode and can’t believe how much I miss this show. It’s been so long since the last ep aired, it would have been nice to have a “Previously on….” to start things. Comics are nice, but I’m not really into that. Wish someone like Sci Fi or AMC would have taken a chance on the Pie Hole.