Pushing Daisies: Viewers to Get Closure in Last Episode After All

Pushing DaisiesThough writers on ABC’s Pushing Daisies TV show knew in advance that the fantasy show would likely end after its current season, the producers opted to end the series on a cliffhanger. Now that the axe has officially fallen and the cast and crew have completed filming the last episode, it seems creator Bryan Fuller is having some second thoughts.

Pushing Daisies is a whimsical series that follows a piemaker (Lee Pace) who can bring people back to life, his previously-deceased girlfriend (Anna Friel), his detective partner (Chi McBride), and waitress (Kristin Chenoweth). The colorful show also features the talents of Jim Dale, Ellen Greene, Swoosie Kurtz, Field Cate, Sean Lake, and Sy Richardson.

The TV show returned for its second season on October 1st. The ratings had fallen in Daisies’ year one and they continued that decline in season two. ABC had ordered 13 episodes for season two with the option to order additional installments. Based on the ratings, the network execs didn’t exercise that option, effectively cancelling the show. The last episode was filmed to include a cliffhanger that would leave fans hanging.

Do you think the Daisies finale will air on TV?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Fuller suspected that the end might be near and said that he had a back-up plan; to continue Daisies in comic book form or even as a movie. As readers of the Buffy comics know, comics are nice but they can’t compare to seeing real-life actors perform on-screen. Fuller must also know that a Daisies movie is a longshot at best.

According to Michael Ausiello, Fuller and his team have rethought their ending plans. They’re using post-production to create a completely new opening and ending for the last episode. As a result, it’ll no longer a cliffhanger. As Fuller says, “We’re doing a lot of work in post to shape it so that it is satisfying for the audience.”

It remains to be seen when the finale will actually air. After tonight’s installment, there’s one more episode on the schedule (December 17th) and that will leave three episodes unaired. It’s rumored that ABC may try to finish the run by airing all three installments on one night. At worst, they could be slotted on Saturday nights or released online.

What would the original Daisies cliffhanger ending have been? Funny you should ask. We’re working to dig up that little detail so stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Marsha Jameson March 4, 2009 at 10:58 am

Who do you use to decide whether a show is good–a bunch of losers! This has been one of the best shows ever! WHY CANCELL!! Instead you leave us with no-talented, insecure reality show people who want attention. This show has seasoned actors and it is unique with really good plots. ABC needs a new administration with good decision makers. I know a zillion people on the east coast that love the show. We don’t care who needs to lose weight, who is dating, cooking or who needs a baby sitter.

Devon Pettygrove February 6, 2009 at 8:08 pm

Pushing Daisies is a funny and innovative series and they have some pretty decent ratings but yet it is getting canceled like so many other shows, it’s because of reality shows these stations need to cancel some of them and bring back real shows.

Harry & Jenny January 3, 2009 at 3:32 pm

It is our favorite show. We will be sad to see it end. Too bad other networks haven’t scooped it up. Maybe Anna’s English networks could save it.

Julie January 1, 2009 at 5:32 pm

I’m glad they’re at least going to finish things up for us — but I can’t believe they’re going to cancel it — this one of the best shows on TV!!!!

Isabel December 17, 2008 at 8:34 am

Abc said that it would air all of the episodes, Why are they changing their mind? And I do hope it airs!!!!!!!!!!

journeybear December 15, 2008 at 8:59 pm

It is so amazing that a show with such an off-the-wall premise and with such imaginative writing and production ever even got pitched to networks, let alone put on the air, not to mention got renewed for a season, that I am thrilled to get even just 22 episodes. Some people went way out on several limbs to make this happen, and it’s a real shame that not enough viewers caught on to make it financially successful. And that’s what really killed it – and Ned is not real and cannot bring it back to life. That leaves “Heroes” and “Lost” to carry the banner for creative production design, and neither of those are anywhere near as much fun as “Pushing Daisies.” Nothing is.

I like William Carr’s suggestions. Maybe there’s some way Ned and Chuck can both get struck by lightning and fall into each other’s arms and somehow CHUCK brings NED back to life but his power is gone .. or maybe then the power works but only WHEN they are touching. Maybe Digby is the key – he jumps on Ned while Chuch is trying to hold him back, and the power is shortcircuited. Anyway, I so long for them to be happy and able to touch. Their yearning is nearly unbearable to watch. I want those two crazy kids to be able to enjoy the love they so desperately feel for each other.

carmen December 14, 2008 at 5:07 pm

it’s been cancled because the average tv viewer is to stupid and lazy to get ‘involved’ in a show of this type.Over all a awsome show.

Dayu December 13, 2008 at 2:09 pm

I hate them for the end of Pushing Daisies. Now I can watch Supernatural and My Name is Earl only.
PD was one of the best series so far =(
I’m disappointed, and even if there will be an end, I’m not sure if Chuck and Ned can be together.
I hope for the best though. I hate open endings. I’d hate it when Ned goes with Olive at the end….

Maryon December 12, 2008 at 12:47 pm

Help us save tihs awesome show
SAVE PUSHING DAISIES!!!!!
Sing this petition and write letters to ABC to renew the show
Sing this petition and tell all your friends to sing it too

It’s the best we can do to save this amazing show, we need a lot of sings

Ashley December 12, 2008 at 10:05 am

I’m happy to know that we will not be left hanging. I’m just still upset at the idea that this show has been canceled. It was the only show on tv that my ENTIRE family sat down to watch. *sigh* I guess we could watch Eli Stone….oh wait they got rid of that too. Maybe I’ll just read a book, and wait until pushing daisies comes to dvd.

Jess December 11, 2008 at 8:28 pm

I love this show, and I will miss it…
But I have to say, I would rather see a big-screen finale than a rushed twist at the end.
Oh, well. It had such magic and color. Sad that good shows don’t seem to last.

William Carr December 11, 2008 at 5:06 pm

I’ve thought about it, and there are only two possible happy endings.

One: Due to a lightning strike, Chuck is shocked back to life: now Ned can touch her.

Two: Ned figures out that if he can just be rid of his gift, he can touch Chuck.

No gift means he can never again bring the dead to life: but then again, he can’t return the

uptightlimey December 11, 2008 at 1:37 pm

It’s a great shame – a beautifully filmed, humorously plotted, stylish, quirky, well-acted series was always on borrowed time. However, it was great while it lasted

Doubtless we can look forward to some mindlessly entertaining alternative – perhaps yet another dose of mindless reality TV?

Danielle December 11, 2008 at 9:30 am

I enjoyed it the times that I caught it, but never thought it was so great as to put in a Tivo season pass to get all episodes.

NewFederalist December 11, 2008 at 6:38 am

Has Pushing Daisies been shopped around to other networks? I would think it a good fit for Fox or even CW. Does anyone know?