Quantum Leap: Will the Movie Get Made This Time?

Quantum LeapAs Quantum Leap fans are well aware, there have been various projects in the works over the past decade.

In 2002, there was talk of the Sci-Fi Channel (now Syfy) wanting to do a new pilot movie and series, essentially revolving around the daughter of Sam (Scott Bakula) as a new leaper and Al (Dean Stockwell) as her holographic helper. It was never made.

In 2007, Quantum Leap co-executive producer Deborah Pratt shopped her own movie. This project would have continued the original show’s storyline and would have included Sam’s daughter as well (a character Pratt created during the original series).

Those movie plans were supposedly stopped because series creator Don Bellisario had his own movie project in mind. Last year, Syfy was again talking to Bellisario about possibly reviving Quantum Leap.

At the A Leap of Faith—A Quantum Leap Retrospective panel at this year’s Comic-Con, Bakula told attendees that, “The good news is that Don is working on the film script and has a big time Hollywood producer who wants to do it… It’s about time. But what I always thought would happen, happened… [that he's now too old for the role]. But Dean and I will have a part in it somehow.”

Bakula continued, “Don did say that as he was writing, he told me he was having trouble, ‘getting you and Dean out of my head.’ But I know he will do it.”

What do you think? Are you happy to hear that a new Quantum Leap project may finally be made? Are you sorry that Bakula and Stockwell won’t be playing their original characters?

Tyler October 26, 2010 at 1:44 am

What will the title of this movie be if it comes out?

admin October 26, 2010 at 3:07 am

@Tyler: We’ll have to wait and see.

MK August 17, 2010 at 12:18 pm

I honestly don’t see why he’s “too old.” Just because Sam leaps through time does not mean he doesn’t age. He’s not a vampire!

Isaac Whiting August 9, 2010 at 9:08 pm

I would LOVE to see a Quantum Leap movie, and not the “To Di For” one. I want to see Sam and Al again. That would be so cool!

Kyle August 9, 2010 at 8:22 am

I like the idea of continuing Quantum Leap, but as others have said, Scott Bakula is too old now. Besides, in a way, there already was a great reboot–Journeyman. I wish that hadn’t been cancelled, that was a great show!

AuntieD August 8, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Scott Bakula is definitely not too old to make the movie. I wonder why he feels that way, that’s the question. I’d be very disappointed if SBakula and DStockwell were not in the movie. In fact, I would not even bother to see it.

Michael Cote' August 8, 2010 at 6:38 am

Hello,

I don’t believe nor do I think the fans believe Scott is too old for the upcoming movie. Put Scott where he belongs…in the movie. It’s not going to be Quantum Leap without Scott. The fans will see the Sam we saw in the original series. Do the right thing.

Michael Cote’
Quantum Leap Crusade

Daniel Cheatham August 7, 2010 at 6:56 pm

I would indeed enjoy a Quantum Leap movie!

Dawn August 7, 2010 at 6:50 pm

Just have Sam jump into different types scenarios. All don’t have to be physical, you know. But I do think that Scott Bakula was the main draw. Yes, Dean Stockwell was hilarious, but good grief! But if it was a movie, why not conclude the series? Or at least have Sam jump home, only to see his daughter take over? How sad is that? But not unimaginable.

Frank August 7, 2010 at 3:03 pm

–I think Jason O’Mara would fit this role perfectly, and he answers well to the name Sam!!

Dan Goff August 7, 2010 at 1:49 pm

I attended THE LEAP BACK 1989 2009 convention in North Hollywood, California. Don Bellisario and Scott Bakula were the main event as Dean Stockwell failed to show for some odd unexplained personal reason…he was somewhere playing in the snow.

Don explained how the finale MIRROR IMAGE was filmed as a season finale, but two days after releasing the episode it was learned that NBC dropped the show…so Don had to alter the last few seconds of the episode to cater to a conclusion.

Since May 5, 1993…the show was abruptly cut short with one of the weirdest finales ever. Explaining some QUANTUM mysteries while raising about 10 more oddities per truth revealed.

QUANTUM LEAP could have been continued as a SyFy movie or series, but Don Bellsario said he wasn’t interested in continuing the show in that fashion.

The three infamous words at the convention were QUANTUM LEAP MOVIE. The joke being when Scott and Don sat down on stage, Don turned to Scott and said “WELCOME…TO…WHO WANT TO BE…A…MILLIONAIRE!” Don then said to Scott, “YOU JUST LEAPED IN BABY!” Scott laughed and said to the crowd, “THAT’S THE MOVIE!”

According to Scott Bakula, the reason why nothing has been done with QUANTUM LEAP is because marketing people don’t seem to think that there’s any market for QUANTUM LEAP whereas Scott thinks that QUANTUM LEAP can so easily be a franchise of movies. HOWEVER, Scott also says that the chances of him being in the movie are very slim. He’d probably do a cameo or something.

Ryan August 7, 2010 at 1:36 pm

I’m with Deborah Pratt. I think the best idea for the future (and I’ve thought this for a long time) would be to have Sam’s daughter take over leaping and it brings Sam home. he then becomes her observer. Dean Stockwell can guest star here and there. This could be a TV show. Actually with Bakula busy on ‘Men of a Certain Age’ for ten eps. a year, maybe he and Stockwell could split the duty. They could say Sam is away an important budget meetings for the project or something.

But this is what I’d like to see. Not a recast movie

OTown August 7, 2010 at 12:16 pm

I have LOVED Quantum Leap from day one and was so sad when the show ended. Ever since that day, I imagined new storylines and things they could be doing. But as excited as i would be for a new show/movie, I wouldn’t want it without Scott especially. He is one of my favorite actors, and he was/is perfect for the role of Sam. He is NOT too old for the role! After all, it said that Sam leaps within his lifetime. Well, he’s still alive… why not continue? Plus there are tons of important things that have happened in the years since the show ended. Can you picture Sam as a firefighter during 9/11? I can. And that’s just one example. Please, if you can’t do a show WITH Scott, I’d rather not have one at all.

Rob I. October 19, 2010 at 11:54 am

I agree, Quantum Leap without Sam and Al wouldn’t interest me. It was the actors portrayal that made the series special. And Sam can still be leaping around 20 years after the series ended. I like the 9/11 ideal, as being one of the most significant historical events of our (his) time. As a final movie for the original series, that would be great. But, someone else in these two roles, I think I’ll pass.

K August 7, 2010 at 10:09 am

Not Quantum Leap without Bakula and Stockwell. Remains to be seen if it a) ever happens (we’ve heard this before) and b) manages to avoid being a travesty.

JGOODING August 7, 2010 at 7:49 am

Why not two Sams???
One Hollywood wants
One the Fans want (SB)

ajun68 August 7, 2010 at 7:02 am

If done correctly, this could be a great movie! I’m all for it!