Raising Hope: New FOX Sitcom; Cancel or Keep It?

Raising HopeFOX has a new family comedy, Raising Hope, on their schedule but it’s certainly nothing like ABC’s The Modern Family. How did it do in the ratings? Big numbers or immediate cancellation danger?

Raising Hope follows a young pool-cleaner (Lucas Neff) who becomes a father after a one-night stand with a female fugitive. The rest of the cast includes Garrett Dillahunt, Martha Plimpton, Shannon Marie Woodward, Skyler Stone, Bijou Phillips, and Cloris Leachman.

The sitcom debuted on Tuesday night at 9pm to an average 3.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 7.3 million total viewers. It was in third place in both categories. That’s pretty good, especially considering the competition in that timeslot.

However, it’s not so positive when you consider how much of its lead-in audience that Raising Hope lost. At the end of the season premiere episode of Glee, FOX had a 6.0 rating in the demo and 13.5 million viewers. Raising Hope lost nearly half of that audience.

What do you think of Raising Hope?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

What’s more, the sitcom lost 10% of its viewers halfway through the show. Those people probably won’t be back to watch future installments. It also doesn’t help that the sitcom that followed it, Running Wilde, is doing much worse.

While the numbers for Raising Hope might be good enough on their own, FOX is surely not pleased that it lost so many lead-in viewers.

The show’s future will ultimately be determined by how well it performs in the coming weeks. Right now, things don’t look good.

What do you think? Did you watch Raising Hope? Is it enjoyable? Will you watch or should it be cancelled already?

Kir October 5, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I love this show! It is funny and i would hate it if they were to cancel it. I hate how fox cancels so many shows especially if they are good ones like raising hope.

Kathy June 6, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Not only do I wait for Tuesday nights, this show is the talk of the office the next day. The characters are just too believeable! I don’t know how the ratings are calculated but there should be a way to count those of us who choose not to use cable or internet.

kevin April 30, 2011 at 12:44 am

If you cancel Raising Hope I’m going to cancel you FOX …. so don’t be so quick to cancel like you did with Firefly that is now a cult classic show..

Giselle Ruiz April 6, 2011 at 7:27 pm

I Love this show,PLZ keep it.

BAILEE HARMON, TODD GRAY, and BUDDY HARMON April 4, 2011 at 4:54 pm

OMG I LOVE THIS SHOW… its bad enough REAPER got canceled PLEASE OH PLEASE!!!! DONT CANCEL THIS TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reanna March 25, 2011 at 8:02 pm

I love this show its so funny. I love everyone in it and the baby who plays hope is so adorable. If it got canceled I would really cry. So I really hope it doesn’t get canceled PLEASE KEEP IT ON THE AIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

fran sondag March 23, 2011 at 10:33 pm

YOU HAVE TO KEEP THIS SHOW!!!! I absolutely love it and am turning all my friends and family on to it! Told my manager at work today and we spent the last 2 hours of work watching different scenes to the show on the computer (shhh…don’t tell our boss..)and laughing our asses off. MY manager kept thanking me for turning her on to this show. She immediately ordered on Netflix season 1 for us to watch at lunch next week. I repeat…YOU HAVE TO KEEP THIS SHOW ON THE AIR!!! People are just finding out about it…just like Seinfeld…it takes the right spot and the chance for people to actually GET it. Believe me, it works!! Cloris alone is worth watching!!I’m telling all I know about this show. Give it another chance. It’s priceless!

Beth Olson January 18, 2011 at 6:20 pm

KEEP IT!! Really looked forward to seeing this on Tuesday night – reminds me of hill street blues and homicide – life on the streets – where the same actor in dtw 187 was in –
Can;t believe they are thinking of cancelling it – not a fan of “V” – don’t understand that at all – Well, just hope I get to see it again – SOON!

Alphagrrl January 12, 2011 at 11:44 pm

Best new show I’ve seen in YEARS. Maybe one of the funniest non-animated casts ever. The writing is brilliant. Actually restores (just a little) my faith in network television.

babycat boo January 12, 2011 at 11:44 am

i like the series “modern family” but raising hope is the best depiction of a modern realistic family i can relate to.

arizona54 January 12, 2011 at 11:23 am

raising hope is the best show i’ve watched in a very long time. it sends a message to fathers everywhere, that raising their children is the most important thing they could ever do and that being a family, no matter how dysfunctional or unconventional your family is, it’s still YOUR family and you should love each other no matter what. to cancel this sweet show would be a big bummer, and i’m sure if it is allowed to continue, it’s ratings will get better. here’s to hoping that raising hope will continue to air for many many seasons

Bombrider January 12, 2011 at 8:55 am

Screw that stupidass game show that is in the time spot that should belong to Raising Hope! Drop that dumbass show Money drop and put back Raising Hope!

mimi January 7, 2011 at 9:20 am

This is an excellent show. Lots of sardonic humor. No other show on television has made us laugh so much! We need more shows like this on TV! Waiting for its re-appearance.

Bombrider January 7, 2011 at 6:31 am

Everybody I know loves the show! And I do mean everybody! This show was an instant classic if you ask me. All the guys at work and I say BRING IT BACK NOW!!!!!!!!

Angela January 6, 2011 at 9:55 pm

This is my favorite show!!!!!!!!!!!