Rake: Greg Kinnear TV Show Cancelled by FOX

Rake ratingsFOX has officially cancelled the Rake TV series. The news comes as no surprise and leaves the dark comedy with one episode unaired.

Rake follows a lawyer (Greg Kinnear) who tries to do good but just can’t seem to get beyond his numerous addictions that cause him so much trouble. The cast also includes John Ortiz, Necar Zadegan, Bojana Novakovic, David Harbour, Tara Summers, Miranda Otto, and Ian Colletti.

The show got off to a poor start on Thursday, January 23rd, and the ratings dropped lower in subsequent weeks. After seven episodes, the network sent the series to Friday night where the ratings got much worse — even by Friday night standards. FOX aired two more installments on a Saturday night and has yet to release the final episode.

What do you think? Do you think this show sould have been cancelled? Are you sorry that there won’t be a second season of Rake?

252 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Kayeto says

was so excited to see my dvr had recorded a new rake episode only to find it was a rerun! didn’t even know it was canceled until researching it here. why is it the witty, fast paced intelligent shows are continually shut down and replaced with some cookie cutter 20 something buddy/sisters/roommate rehash of the same bad jokes? do the networks truly believe everyone has a 30 second attention span? Greg Kinnear is the greatest and I’m begging that someone… ANYONE pick up this show!!

2. Elvis says

One of the smarter shows on all if TV. I guess people don’t want to see a bad boy do good. Make Kinnear a serial killer, and I’m sure there would be season after season of it. I’m disappointed in Fox, but then that’s par for the course…

3. Linda says

So excited to hear it was coming back to now see its cancelled. What a shame. Thought it was a great show

4. Mike Robertson says

Thoroughly enjoyed the show, looked forward to it each week. I can’t believe that with the talent of Greg Kinnear, characters, subplots, and direction, that Fox wouldn’t try to build an audience rather than throw it out when it is clear that the slotting of this program was never established for growth.

5. Hamma says

They keep all this other crap on but cancel one of the best shows ever. It is so funny and love the characters. Please reconsider the cancellation.

6. ANONYMOUS says

CAN’T BELIEVE THEY CANCELLED ONE OF THE BEST SHOWS I’VE SEEN IN A LONG TIME IT WAS EDGY AND FUNNY AND FULLY ENTERTAINING THINK THE SHOW GOT SHAFTED DUE TO TIME SLOT AND THAT SUCKS! MAYBE I WILL JUST STOP WATCHING THAT NETWORK ALL TOGETHER . COME ON PEOPLE WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING TO GET THIS SHOW BACK!!!!!

7. Hart says

Loved the show! The problem with the ratings was probably because they kept moving the program around to different days! We kept thinking, what the heck?!?!? Leave it on one night and stop moving it around!! We would have missed it if we hadn’t set it to record….just like a lot of people probably did miss it. I hope another network picks it up!

8. Big V says

I can’t believe it was cancelled. It was the best show going. Always a twist with every episode, only show since Seinfeld that I watched every time it aired. Fox please bring it back.

9. Mark says

Enjoyed the characters. Too bad FOX moved it around to different nights for those viewers trying to get a better handle on the show. Yes, it was a bit silly, but it was enjoyable. Happy to know there was at least one more episode.

10. Anonymous says

Rake was the best program on T-V! The executives at FOX must be really incompetent to not only have failed to get this show in the Top 10 rating category, but get it cancelled after one season. The show had it all, cast, writing and direction. What it didn’t have was a production team to promote the show.
    I’d be curious to know how many of the top brass morons lost their job on this snafu. By the way, Rake was the only FOX show I watched!