Rake

Rake TV show on FOXNetwork: FOX
Episodes: 13 (hour)
Seasons: One

TV show dates: January 23, 2014 — June 27, 2014
Series status: Cancelled

Performers include: Greg Kinnear, John Ortiz, Necar Zadegan, Bojana Novakovic, David Harbour, Tara Summers, Miranda Otto, and Ian Colletti.

TV show description:
A legal drama, based on an Australian series of the same name, this show follows the comedic and chaotic life of a criminal defense lawyer. Keegan Deane (Greg Kinnear) is often described as many things but none of them are very flattering.

Brilliant and frustratingly charming, Keegan is one of life’s great addicts. His staggering lack of discretion and inability to self-censor land him the cases that nobody else will touch. Behind that lies a resolute optimism and belief in justice that fuel his dogged determination to defend those who seem beyond redemption.

He always tries to do the right thing, but at the same time struggles to save himself from the many self-destructive elements that plague his own life, such as his overindulgence in women, gambling and other excesses.

Keegan gets a majority of his cases from his best friend since law school, Ben Leon (John Ortiz). Ben’s married to Scarlet (Necar Zadegan), another of Keegan’s old friends. She’s an Los Angeles Assistant District Attorney and quite often Keegan’s opponent in court.

Keegan also has plenty of personal trials and tribulations, including his mounting debt to his bookie and his overlapping liaisons with various women. Melissa “Mikki” Partridge (Bojana Novakovic) is his favorite prostitute and de-facto love interest.

And then there’s his ongoing battle with the IRS. He’s being prosecuted by David Potter (David Harbour), an IRS tax attorney. He looks ten years younger than his age and has been nicknamed “Harry Potter” by Keegan.

Thankfully Keegan has Leanne Zander (Tara Summers), his no-nonsense assistant, to help clean up his messes. His ex-wife, psychologist Maddy (Miranda Otto), begrudgingly acts as his therapist. She’s also the mother of their hormonal son, Finn (Ian Colletti), who displays many of the same tendencies as his father.

Series Finale:
Episode #13 — “Man’s Best Friend”
Keegan defends a close friend and well-respected doctor accused of animal cruelty, Scarlet’s campaign against David Potter takes a nasty turn when information about Mikki’s past gets leaked to the press and Ben gets tied up in a federal investigation when his firm’s finances are questioned.
First aired: April 5, 2014

What do you think? Do you like the Rake TV series? Do you think it should be cancelled or renewed for another season?

Canceled and renewed TV show

319 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Nancy T says

We love this show & hope you keep it on. It’s hilarious & great for adults. We’re disappointed because although the TV Guide gives a time, the show is not on.

2. Holly says

I loved the show. It is a great adult series, and the reason it is probably not picking up ratings is because it needs to be on at 9pm, not 7pm on a Friday. I am 30 years old and many of my friends have younger kids. They would probably watch the show if it were on at 9pm, but they are not going to watch it with their kids at 7pm. Please don’t cancel it, I’ve been waiting for another show since get into since the X-files cancelled long ago , and this is the show. Greg Kinnear is fantastic, I can’t see him go.

3. says

This is one of the best (ADULT) TV shows on today. It’s refreshing and funny and the characters enjoyable. It’s one of only three shows my husband watch, the other two being Good Wife and Bluebloods. Please leave this on. There’s so much trash TV today wth ENDLESS, SENCELESS reality shows. If it’s cancelled, it will be sorely missed.

• Robert says

I think it is a good show very entertaining never know what will happen next.

Ive tried to watch it for last two weeks on Friday, paper an tv guide show it is on
      but kitchen nightmare is on. and I cant stand kitchen nightmare. Please don’t
      cancel Rake.

• bonnie says

Show is hysterically wonderful. Best new show. Love it. Please keep it on. I have been spreading the word on how great the show is.

4. wombat boinker says

I’ve loved all three seasons of the Australian series the American version is truly awful in comparison.

why American media corporations take wonderful overseas programming then adapt then for an American audience (read dumb down to the level of a 12 year old ham sandwich ) and turn it into a steaming pile of dog logs is beyond me

5. Carly says

This is my favorite show, and so under-rated! I’ve never seen 1 ad for it, and only knew it was starting by reading about it in USA today. Please don’t cancel!!! My whole family loves it!

6. Sharon says

There is nothing like Rake on TV, please, please do not cancel it The world needs more light hearted, entertaining shows like this one, not less. Greg Kinnear and cast are brilliant!!!

7. Anita says

I absolutely LOVE Rake!
    Truly one of the best shows on television. Please DO NOT cancel this clever, hilarious show!

8. Mary T. Dixon1 says

Please don’t cancel “Rake”. It is refreshing, funny and I love it. I hope the powers that be will consider renewing this gem.