Reaper: TV Show Still Fighting for Survival

ReaperTuesday night might have marked the end of Reaper’s run on the CW network but the show’s not dead yet. As we reported a couple weeks back, the show’s studio is still interested in keeping the series alive through first-run syndication.

The CW recently gave back Sunday nights to the local affiliates for them to schedule on their own. Reaper’s apparently a popular show with some of them and continuing the series could be a good fit since the affiliates’ audience are already familiar with it. It’s also in the best interests of ABC Studios since every additional episode of Reaper adds to the value of a traditional syndication package.

The studio is looking to pair Reaper with Legend of the Seeker, a Lord of the Rings-esque series that debuted in syndication last November. Seeker has been performing very well for the CW affiliates, including those owned by the Tribune Broadcasting company. The series has already been renewed for a second season.

Would you watch Reaper in first-run syndication?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

So, what about the rumors that the show’s creators and one of the stars having already moved on? Though creators Michele Fazekas and Tara Butters have signed a development deal with 20th TV, they’ve agreed to continue to consult on Reaper. Tyler “Sock” Labine’s new FOX series, Sons of Tucson, has been picked up but reportedly he’s still contractually obligated to work on Reaper.

According to blogging insider Nick C., the decision on Reaper’s future will be made within the next week.

If you want to see Reaper return in first-run syndication, contact your local CW station — by phone, email, or snail-mail (obviously, don’t put this one off) — and encourage them to buy it.

There’s a list of CW affiliates and Nick has posted a copy of a form letter that actress Jenny Wade (Ben’s demon girlfriend) created to give you an idea what to say.

You can also point them to our petition page as further evidence that the show is still beloved. For more information, visit the ReaperDMV site.

Want to keep Sam and friends from going to TV Hell? Well, the show’s fans need to get busy.

5/29 UPDATE: SpikeTV is apparently expressing interest. Fans are encouraged to email the cable network to politely encourage them to pick it up. Go to their contact page or email them directly spiketv@spiketv.com.

Canceled and renewed TV show

18 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Jim says

As a loyal “Reaper” fan . I’m inquiring as to why your network has not yet picked up the tv series “Reaper”? This would exciting. Seeing this series thrive, as it is meant to, is something I, and itโ€™s millions of fans, anticipate highly! The show has an incredibly dedicated fan base, as shown by the series’ astronomical DVD sales. We love our show and believe it has all the potential in the world to continually provide entertainment for millions of fans, and even more fans to come.

Sincerely,

Jim

2. says

Ha ha i agree with jennifer above i fell in love with it at the same moment and the best compliment is i love animals!I am also from the uk,some network needs to save this show as it is truely original,and the cast work so well as a group.I don’t normaly but i actualy bought both box sets,and have lent them to others,who have bought them in tern.In a cynical world this show is like a breath of fresh air.It has heart and dare i say soul!Bloody cancel unimaginative crap like beverly hills 9210,this show gets better and better.And i really woud love to see where it goes from hereI also think sam is a wonderful everyday hereo who has more to offer than he thinks,and sock is a comic masterpiece,who is like a earthly baccus!So i am hoping with all my heart that one of my favourite shows(and i am not earily pleased!)gets another run it richly deserves.

3. ken says

Reaper 2 me has been a show with action,comedy,drama, and etc. If u see this response “CW” ur making the biggest mistake releasing Reaper from ur channel. I hope that ABC studios gets a deal done so I can watch my favorite show. Besides the ending 2 season was depressing because I thought that the show would end I WANT 2 SEE SEASON 3 AND SO ON UNTIL SAM GETS OUT OF THE DEAL WITH THE DEVIL UNTIL THEN I WANT SEE MORE SEASONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Jennifer Smith says

I’m from the UK and love this show. Series 2 is currently being show on our E4 channel hwever I have already seen the seris when it was aired in the USA because I couldn’t wait. I can’t believe they are now cancelling it!? It’s awesome, so funny and original, from the moment Sock hit the dog with the car door in Series 1 Episode 1 I was in love!!

I will write to E4 today and express my interest of keeping it!!!

5. tvshow saver says

this is to all reading this! sign the petition and keep reaper alive. the cast has given up hope but we won’t. if it does get cancelled (hopefully not) campaign and get it made into a movie to end it proudly, and also e-mail to tv guide.com and try to make reaper one of the top 30 cult hits

6. Lilith says

Regards from Spain. I really like Reaper and hope it survives and we can see a third season. It’s always a pity when we get series here(which is months after their american release) just to find they have already been cancelled. So keep on it. :)

7. Philip Tingley says

Less idiotic empty reality tv shows and more Reaper!! Why is it decent shows get cancelled and crap stays on the air, oh wait that is the dumbing down of america.

8. malisa says

reaper is the best show on tv these days besides desperate housewives. why not take off some of the other sucky shows like 24. dancing with stars or so you think you can dance those shows are so lame or amaricas got talent or stupid dumb models like any one cars. please dont cancel reaper i love it too much to see it go.

9. captain awesome says

you can call spike tv and leave a voice mail at this number.

SPIKE TV PHONE
    212-767-4001

everyone call and express interest in REAPER

10. says

Fantastic update on the situation, Trevor, and perfect for posting on Twitter! Which I will do ASAP. Thanks for helping corral the fan support for Reaper!

11. says

Busy am I. ๐Ÿ˜€

Don’t forget to thank ABC for keeping faith in Reaper! This is very important! And if you’re an international fan, we recommend writing *your* local station too. Overseas sales are important too.

And if anyone gets a positive response back, please let us know. We want you to forward it to a specific person at ABC.

Click on my profile link for all the details.