Reaper: Could the TV Show Continue in Syndication? Without Tyler Labine?

ReaperThe CW series has a lot of odds attacked against it but apparently there’s another possibility for Reaper’s survival.

The Hollywood Reporter is reporting that there’s a slim chance that Bret Harrison, Tyler Labine, Rick Gonzalez, Missy Peregrym, Ray Wise, and company could return in first-run syndication.

After unsuccessfully trying to schedule Sunday nights on its own, the CW recently announced that it was giving back the Sunday night timeslots to its local stations. While the affiliates will now get 100% of the ad revenue from those hours of primetime, they’ll also have to come up with their own programming. One possibility is for them to continue airing movies from the MGM library. Another option being considered is to keep Reaper alive.

The show’s producer, ABC Studios, is currently in talks with CW affiliate stations to run a syndicated version of the show on Sunday nights. Apparently, many of the affiliates like the supernatural series and have expressed interest.

Would you watch Reaper without Sock?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

ABC Studios is also exploring the possibility of finding a cable outlet for the series. Unfortunately both options are considered a longshot.

The Reporter sites that one roadblock is that series creators Michele Fazekas and Tara Butters have moved on. As we reported yesterday, that’s not completely true. Though they have a new exclusive deal with 20th Century Fox TV, they’ve arranged to still be able to consult on Reaper.

Another issue may not be quite as easy to overcome. Costar Labine has signed on to star in a new FOX comedy, Sons of Tucson. Though Tucson is second position behind a network renewal of Reaper, it’s unclear if that’s still the case if it becomes a syndicated show.

Labine’s Sock is considered an integral part of the program so the series is far less likely to return without him. If he is still obligated to Reaper, Labine would have to drop out of the FOX project.

Anonymous March 14, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Are you kidding???? The crappiest network on TV with ZERO watchable shows other than Reaper and Supernatural decides to drop it??? Id rather watch PBS than the crap left on CW now.

Izamal December 30, 2009 at 12:01 am

I love Sock but if he cant continue in Reaper the show must still continue!!!!! No matter what!!!!

GYSGT GERALD P GARNER November 9, 2009 at 9:33 am

WHAT A GREAT SHOW! IM 46 YEAR OLD RETIRED MARINE AND THIS HAS IT ALL! HUMOR, SPECIAL EFFECTS, LOVE STORY, DRAMA, THE WORKS TELL THOSE BONE HEADS ON CW THEY HAVE A HUGE MILITARY FOLLOWING I HAVE GOTTEN AT LEAST 20 PEOPLE HOOKED ON THIS! BRING THEM ALL BACK EACH PERSON MAKES THE SHOW..

barb October 22, 2009 at 5:28 pm

reaper was a fun show. I think they should give it a chance. It’s the only show I ever watche on the CW

brad October 21, 2009 at 7:25 pm

man i was really looking forward to seeing where sam was going with his challenge with the devil in the future and his love intrest growing. i really hope they reconsider bringing it back it is my favorite show

robert higby September 24, 2009 at 2:20 pm

Wtf why the hell is reaper being axed I’m so pissed american idol is worse then x factor and that program sucks
Bring back reaper its so awsome and really well liked if this show is cancelled I’m comin down on the studio so hard
U wnt know wats hit them :( I love reaper bring it back

Chad September 24, 2009 at 10:14 am

Reaper has to continue. It is the best show that the CW had on its channel. Now I have no reason to watch the CW.

Brent June 20, 2009 at 8:19 pm

I think it would be unfortunate to loose Sock because he is an integral part of the trio but the story could still be very interesting. Guest appearances could be done.. Be really funny to see Sock ending up in Hell with occ shots from there. Who knows?
Now I’m going to go get a life because its really depressing to me that I am spending time on this.

tay June 17, 2009 at 9:04 pm

without wisocky isnt the same but…. the show has to continue!

Steve May 23, 2009 at 3:21 pm

Labine will hopefully move to something other than what is considerably the worst acting part in TV history. The series might have a chance, given w/p work. The concept was sharp. However, they spent too much on trying to be ‘losers’. The show could be better than that.

Alex May 20, 2009 at 3:34 pm

I really like Taylor Labine…he is a funny guy :)…without him Reaper is nothing :|

Robert May 14, 2009 at 4:03 pm

I hate Taylor Labine more than any actor on TV. I didn’t watch REAPER largely because he was on it, just as he was a major reason I didn’t watch INVASION. I have zero interest in SONS OF TUSCON because he is on it.

If he is gone, I might actually give REAPER a try again.