Reckless: New CBS TV Show; Cancel or Keep for Season Two?

Reckless TV show on CBS: canceled or season 2?Legal and crime dramas are a big part of the CBS schedule during the year. This summer, the network started airing another one — Reckless. Has this new TV show been a ratings success? Will it be renewed for a second season or, will it be cancelled instead?

Reckless revolves around a beautiful litigator from the north and a charming southern attorney who must hide their intense mutual attraction as a police sex scandal erupts in Charleston, South Carolina. The TV show’s cast includes Cam Gigandet, Anna Wood, Shawn Hatosy, Georgina Haig, Adam Rodríguez, Michael Gladis, Kim Wayans, and Gregory Harrison.

The series debuted in late June to just a 0.7 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 3.99 million total viewers. That was a very poor start for a scripted series — even one that airs during the summer months when expectations are lower.

Reckless’ ratings have held fairly steady and have even seen some slight improvements at times. That’s positive but the series is still the network’s lowest-rated summer series — by far. With such low ratings, it’s hard to imagine that CBS will consider renewing Reckless for a second season.

For now, CBS has only scheduled 10 of the 13 episodes. Hopefully for the loyal fans, all of the episodes will air and the series will have a satisfying conclusion.

But, what do you think? Do you like the Reckless series? Do you think it should be cancelled or renewed for a second season?

10/9 update: CBS has cancelled Reckless after one season. Details here.

Canceled and renewed TV show

1,443 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Pamala Weyer says

I just started watching last night and have been glued to my tv and have watched 9 so far and loved everyone of them, if cbs cancels the show I hope some other network will pick it up…!!! They must have had it in a bad time slot I never saw any of previews for show but I am hooked and want more…!!!! Please

2. Anonymous says

USA Network Executives, please pay attention to these comments and bring Reckless to your network. You have a waiting and appreciative audience. CBS didn’t recognize the jewel it had.

3. Linn D. says

For months, I’ve been reading the comments of all the others who have joined me in my disappointment over the cancellation of Reckless. Everyone here has agreed that it’s a great series that should have been given a better chance for survival. I binge-watched the series on Netflix this past weekend for a “refresher” and it made me realize again, what a fantastically entertaining series it was. The summer “blockbuster” Under the Dome and the Hally Berry series (Ex whatever whatever) were both promoted CONSTANTLY, and neither of those shows could ever hold a candle to the undeniably intelligent and intriguing storylines of Reckless. Sadly, CBS is bringing them back again this summer. I certainly won’t be watching……again. I’ll go to Netflix and watch something intelligent and interesting. Had the CBS network given Reckless the same amount of promotion that the aforementioned series received, as well as a decent time slot, it surely would have been successful. I’m so tired of the network shows we have to choose from that are so silly, stupid and predictable. Conversely, Reckless had so many twists and turns that kept interest and curiosity high. CBS really blew this one. If they don’t bring Reckless back, I hope Netflix does! I’ll have my tv tuned-in over there, where the better shows are.

• says

Linn, what an excellent comment. I’m with you on Extant and Under the Dome. Extant was an embarrassment. Reckless had it all: great writing, acting, musical score, photography, character development, and direction. Perfect casting. “They” scheduled it to fail – and it did. No one knew about it, they moved it around, and then canceled it.

• S. Spector says

Could not have said it any better!! USA network, show CBS and Netflix what a mistake they made in not picking up this series!!! It is a crime for it not to have had a season 2!!!! Please give it it’s due!!!

• Pamala Weyer says

Nicely put Linn, I have been watching shows on Netflix also, and to my disappointment a few of the shows I have found and have been watching are cancelled…and I have loved them. I found Reckless and and was so excited to share it with my friends and thought I would look it up to see when the 2nd season starts and am totally bummed to hear it was cancelled…cbs needs to reevaluate the people they have making these decisions or I will just stick to nbc for Blacklist and the voice and skip cbs altogether…!!! Hopefully Netflix will grab it and get more of my support

4. Lisa says

It was a great show. Always looked forward to watching it when I got home from work. Great southern show. Please please bring it back.

5. Shirley says

loved that show. Was looking forward to this Summer when it would be on again. Why always cancel the good ones and keep on the nonsense comedy and reality? Bring it back!

6. B. Crocker says

Terrific series. Only discovered it on Netflix, browsing. If CBS advertised it properly, it would be a big hit.