Red Widow: Cancelled by ABC, No Season Two

Red Widow canceledMarta Walraven (Radha Mitchell) won’t have to worry about working for the mob for a second season. Red Widow has been cancelled by ABC after one season and eight episodes.

Red Widow follows a San Francisco housewife and mother who finds herself forced to continue her late husband’s work in organized crime for the sake of her family. The series’ cast includes Radha Mitchell, Clifton Collins Jr., Luke Goss, Sterling Beaumon, Suleka Mathew, Erin Moriarty, Jaime Ray Newman, Jakob Salvati, Lee Tergesen, Wil Traval, Rade Serbedzija, and Goran Visnjic.

The show’s ratings were unfortunately very low right from the start — debuting to a 1.5 demo rating in the 18-49 demographic with 7.13 million total viewers.

The numbers got worse for later episodes and Red Widow fell as low as a 0.7 rating and 3.47 million viewers — much too low to warrant a renewal.

What do you think? Are you sorry that the show has been cancelled? Why do you think it didn’t catch on with a bigger audience?

Deb May 11, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Please bring it back, I really enjoyed watching it and was looking forward to a new season!!!!!

SummitGuy May 11, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Sad to see it go. Wish studios would design show scripts with an insertable ending episode incase they get canceled. I enjoy the Russian story line. Seems to be a popular directionalong with FX’s “The Americans”. Guess we’re gonna get stuck with more Reality BS or stupid game shows.

Vick May 11, 2013 at 12:38 pm

We were hoping to see the season finale. It deserves renewal. IT was a good one.

deni May 11, 2013 at 11:20 am

I am so disappointed! Red Widow became my favorite show!!! Give it a chance ABC.

guildedsparrow May 11, 2013 at 9:28 am

I thought this show was great! One of the most original, non-sci-fi shows on network tv in a while. Although I always watched it On Demand, as it was on too late for me, I really looked forward to it. Cast was great, story was interesting and unpredictable. I know Schiller was supposed to be the big bad (maybe?), but the chemistry between him and Marta was complex and compelling.

BOO, ABC!

Paul May 11, 2013 at 9:26 am

Never saw it and never cared to. I am not gender biased but I have grown tired of the bad ass 100 pound models. Too corny and unrealistic.

Anonymous May 11, 2013 at 2:28 am

bad time slot

Angela May 11, 2013 at 1:14 am

I’m very disappointed to hear Red Widow is being cancelled. It never fails; TV finally gets a good show and then it gets cancelled leaving everyone hanging. Why can’t these networks try a different day or time before they just cancel these shows? I guarantee if it played during the rerun season it would be a big hit. Please give Red Widow the opportunity to end their show properly if they are not being picked up for another season!!

Rachelle May 11, 2013 at 12:42 am

I really loves the series. Schiller was down right creepy to me, yet very appealing. Marta was a relatable character and I’m very disappointed.

Anonymous May 10, 2013 at 11:25 pm

The biggest problem with ABC and the decline in viewership is the constant breaks between new episodes. How do they expect to maintain the audience for new series when there is two+ weeks between episodes in an 8 episode season. I enjoyed Red Widow but the show never had a chance, beyond the short season there was just an inconsistency in the airing of new episodes, requiring an increase in effort by viewers, leading many to decide to stop watching rather then try to figure out when the show will actually air. I think I will watch the original European series to find out what happens, though I must say Goran Višnjić is a large reason why I enjoyed ABC’s remake.

Linda May 10, 2013 at 11:18 pm

I think it should of been a mini series.. these is only so much room to grow from the current plot. I mean the bad guy either lets her out of her “obligation”, kills her or gets deeper involved with her. As a mobster the middle option is not viable if you want to call that a cliché then I guess it is and if he let her off the hook the only other option is to create more trouble for her to get into maybe thru the son getting involved with his grandfather’s mobsters ways. I did enjoy the first few episodes but after that it had a hard time of keeping me interested.

emaegf May 10, 2013 at 10:54 pm

It was more of a miniseries not meant to go more than one season in my opinion. So no surprise it wasn’t picked up for a second season.

Deana May 10, 2013 at 10:33 pm

I’m so disappointed! One of the best shows in a long time! I have co-workers that wanted to watch it but said the time was too late. They were in bed. It should not be cancelled but moved to a different time or day.

Dianne May 10, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Totally bummed! I can’t believe CBS is leaving us with the cliff hanger of Schiller at gunpoint by Marta’s daughter. I can think of several ways that could play out. I think the show would have done better in a different time slot. BTW, I am a big fan of Goran Visnjic.

onercknman May 11, 2013 at 12:27 am

ABC, not CBS

Anonymous May 10, 2013 at 9:53 pm

\Red widow should not be cancelled. Just watched the last episode. Thought it was the season finale. The show has potential. At least give it another year. Eight episodes are not enough.