Red Widow: Cancelled by ABC, No Season Two

Red Widow canceledMarta Walraven (Radha Mitchell) won’t have to worry about working for the mob for a second season. Red Widow has been cancelled by ABC after one season and eight episodes.

Red Widow follows a San Francisco housewife and mother who finds herself forced to continue her late husband’s work in organized crime for the sake of her family. The series’ cast includes Radha Mitchell, Clifton Collins Jr., Luke Goss, Sterling Beaumon, Suleka Mathew, Erin Moriarty, Jaime Ray Newman, Jakob Salvati, Lee Tergesen, Wil Traval, Rade Serbedzija, and Goran Visnjic.

The show’s ratings were unfortunately very low right from the start — debuting to a 1.5 demo rating in the 18-49 demographic with 7.13 million total viewers.

The numbers got worse for later episodes and Red Widow fell as low as a 0.7 rating and 3.47 million viewers — much too low to warrant a renewal.

What do you think? Are you sorry that the show has been cancelled? Why do you think it didn’t catch on with a bigger audience?

Anonymous May 12, 2013 at 10:01 pm

I was very sorry to hear Red Widow was cancelled. It was one of my favorite weekly shows along with the Americans. It had a unique plot. I am giving up on watching network shows if they just cancel them, leave us hanging and replace them with mindless shows like the Bachelor or silly sitcoms.

Bonnie May 12, 2013 at 9:55 pm

I loved the show and looked forward to every episode. It cam on at 9pm on Sunday night. I think that was too late for most people having to work.

RL May 12, 2013 at 9:22 pm

I loved Red Widow. I found that there was so much more to discover about the characters and I’m not happy that ABC has decided to cancel it! The show’s tone might be a little slow (causing many people to lose interest) but i found it interesting and that every moment was a build up for something bigger. If only American audience could just stick around a little longer, they would be able to see the bigger picture at the end of the season. Elizabeth is right that there aren’t many good shows on tv anymore. Networks are more interested to have reality tv series and dramas that drag their plots a little too long, and didn’t make sense. The pattern is pretty obvious each year as spring comes to an end. The shows that make the cut and those that don’t, maybe all they needed was a second chance. I’m was excited to see what happens next in season 2 but too bad, there won’t be one.

Matt May 12, 2013 at 8:47 pm

NOOOOOOOO!!!! Such a good series! I can’t believe they’re cancelling it. I hope this gets to ABC big wigs- Keeps it for at least another season! The season finale had me excited to see what was to come in the future!

Jen May 12, 2013 at 8:39 pm

I am really upset, I LOVE THIS SHOW…. sick of Revenge but Love Red Widow…. leave it to ABC to screw up again…. I am watching ABC less and less

j. duffy May 12, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Really did enjoy Red Widow..sorry ABC didn’t give it another season for people to view it.

Michelle May 12, 2013 at 4:50 pm

So disappointed Red Widow is cancelled! Wish there was a book I could purchase to see how the series ends. I hope ABC reconsiders their decision 3.47 million viewers want to watch, that should account for something.

Gail May 12, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Really enjoyed the show. Am very disappointed it has been cancelled. Especially liked the Marta character.

Elizabeth May 12, 2013 at 10:40 am

I’m really sorry they cancelled this show. I find very little on TV I like to watch. Too many reality shows that are just a waste of my life. Not enough good drama series. That is the third show that was cancelled this year, that I really enjoyed. Most of the time I turn off the TV because I can’t find anything to watch. I’ve been reading more.

mary May 12, 2013 at 9:56 am

I loved the red widow so mad cancelled

Jane Valdivia May 12, 2013 at 7:33 am

Red Widow was a very good show. Good players and great plot. I am sorry that abc cancelled it along with body of evidence. Wrong move ABC…………………….. you lost a viewer. Replacing you …………………………………with better options………

Don Coyer May 12, 2013 at 1:33 am

My wife and I loved Red Widow. Cancelling it was a bad move. We were spreading the word…I don’t know why it didn’t catch on, but corporate thinking destroys a lot of good stuff…..with this kind of thinking, Elton John, for one example, would have never had a career. Move the show over to the WB. It’s worth further exploration.

Kym May 11, 2013 at 11:02 pm

Really sorry to see Red widow cancelled it was a good show with frat cast. I wish there was some way to change abc execs minds. I think they jumped the gun too soon in pulling the plug. I’m very disappointed with the decision… Wonder if Melissa rosenthal will try to shop it too another network weirder stuff has happened wish CBS would but rights. No one takes risks anymore!

Tom May 11, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Between Red Widow and Body Of Evidence being cancelled, I think I am going to just stop watching ABC altogether. Knew Revenge would be renewed! Did like it at first but now, utter crap! But they keep that on….. Don’t even get me started about Dancing With The Stars. Hasn’t been a star on that show since it’s inception!!!!

LIZ May 11, 2013 at 4:16 pm

I really liked that show. There is nothing else on TV, so why cancel. They should try for a earlier time. It was different from other show. ABC always mess things up.