Red Widow: Cancelled by ABC, No Season Two

Red Widow canceledMarta Walraven (Radha Mitchell) won’t have to worry about working for the mob for a second season. Red Widow has been cancelled by ABC after one season and eight episodes.

Red Widow follows a San Francisco housewife and mother who finds herself forced to continue her late husband’s work in organized crime for the sake of her family. The series’ cast includes Radha Mitchell, Clifton Collins Jr., Luke Goss, Sterling Beaumon, Suleka Mathew, Erin Moriarty, Jaime Ray Newman, Jakob Salvati, Lee Tergesen, Wil Traval, Rade Serbedzija, and Goran Visnjic.

The show’s ratings were unfortunately very low right from the start — debuting to a 1.5 demo rating in the 18-49 demographic with 7.13 million total viewers.

The numbers got worse for later episodes and Red Widow fell as low as a 0.7 rating and 3.47 million viewers — much too low to warrant a renewal.

What do you think? Are you sorry that the show has been cancelled? Why do you think it didn’t catch on with a bigger audience?

Anonymous May 26, 2013 at 9:24 pm

Sooooo bummed out I loved that show…l.it needs to come back

Joan May 25, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Extremely sorry that Red Widow was cancelled. It showed rare emotion, great acting,
and I wanted it to keep going. Twists and turns perhaps happened a little fast. I look forward to it’s return … I hope

jenn May 24, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Very disappointed with ABC!!! I loved Red Widow! I was actually looking up to see when the new season was going to begin again. I was very upset to find out it was cancelled. How could you cancel a show you didn’t even give a chance. I hope reconsider and bring it back!!!!

Anonymous May 24, 2013 at 8:20 pm

I really enjoyed watching Red Widow. I am very disappointed with ABC! I hope you reconsider and bring the show back. You didn’t even give the show a chance!!!!

jen May 24, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Very disappointed ABC!! I love the show! You didn’t even give it a chance. I hope you reconsider and bring it back for another season.

Will May 23, 2013 at 11:04 pm

I absolutely LOVE Sterling Beaumon! He’s so incredibly sexy, and he was great on the show. I don’t understand the logic that any of the TV networks use when determining whether to cancel or renew shows. I get that ratings has a lot to do with it, but seriously, there are terrible shows on right now that keep getting renewed (such as the “comedy” Men at Work on TBS), while excellent shows like Red Widow are canceled… it’s ridiculous!

Anonymous May 22, 2013 at 9:20 am

Just got around to watching it.I had the whole season taped.Can’t believe they would cancel a great show.Instead they keep all these stupid reality shows.I guess they don’t know when they have something good.

ny May 21, 2013 at 6:42 pm

I am so upset, thought this was a great show!!!!!!

Donna May 21, 2013 at 2:14 pm

So disappointed at yet another premature cancelling of a show that was picking up steam. Really ABC!! Why is it that you all don’t give show time enough to catch on! Initially I wasn’t into Red Widow but I continued to watch and was completely into it by the end of the season and leaving us hanging wondering whether or not the daughter is going to shoot Schiller is unforgiveable! You should really reconsider bringing this show back…some of u were really invested in this new show and wanted to see where it was going.

Annie May 20, 2013 at 7:56 am

So, so, so disappointed! What a great show! I hope the network reconsiders. I very much dislike all of the reality TV, and this was a quality story line.

Deborah May 19, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Bad deal ABC!!! Red Widow is a great show! There are so many potential story lines for a 2nd season; the father seeking revenge from prison, the daughter trying to kill Schiller, the relationship between FBI agent and the sister, Schiller & Marta and so on. The show deserves a 2nd season and an effort by the network to make it work. Try putting it in a different time slot or different day. Drop the crap reality shows and put some intelligent, scripted drama shows back on TV. However, if ABC execs don’t have the brains or balls to bring this show back, maybe another network will. I’m down to 2 hours of ABC viewing time and that is questionable for the future based on the previous season efforts of those 2 shows. Advertisers and other networks take note! My time and money could be yours with the right incentive. Bring back Red Widow and more good, well-written TV dramas. Can the crap (deserves repeating) reality shows!

Trisha May 19, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Really enjoyed this show. Guess there wasn’t enough lame jokes and sexual innuendos.

Judie May 18, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Again, good shows are being cancelled while crapy ones are renewed … Unfortunately, with this being the last show I’ve been watching on ABC, I won’t be tuning in to ABC’s new lineup, in case I get caught up in another good show that ends up not being renewed & I end up disappointed again …. The current lineup is definitely disappointing & not worth my time unless Red Widow was continued. So long ABC …. Not being disappointed by you anymore …..

Anonymous May 18, 2013 at 11:04 pm

Ditto!

Melissa May 18, 2013 at 5:40 pm

I am also disappointed Red Widow and Revenge are both cancelled. They are 2 of 4 shows I watch every week. I hope you are flooded with emailed about both shows and the cancellation is reconsidered.

vanessa May 18, 2013 at 7:11 am

I am really disappointed you keep cancelling great shows and renew old shows that are becoming BORING what the hell is wrong with you I hope you renew this show PLEASE it was one of the BEST SHOWS EVER please renew this show i wanna know how the story will end :C