Red Widow: Cancelled by ABC, No Season Two

Red Widow canceledMarta Walraven (Radha Mitchell) won’t have to worry about working for the mob for a second season. Red Widow has been cancelled by ABC after one season and eight episodes.

Red Widow follows a San Francisco housewife and mother who finds herself forced to continue her late husband’s work in organized crime for the sake of her family. The series’ cast includes Radha Mitchell, Clifton Collins Jr., Luke Goss, Sterling Beaumon, Suleka Mathew, Erin Moriarty, Jaime Ray Newman, Jakob Salvati, Lee Tergesen, Wil Traval, Rade Serbedzija, and Goran Visnjic.

The show’s ratings were unfortunately very low right from the start — debuting to a 1.5 demo rating in the 18-49 demographic with 7.13 million total viewers.

The numbers got worse for later episodes and Red Widow fell as low as a 0.7 rating and 3.47 million viewers — much too low to warrant a renewal.

What do you think? Are you sorry that the show has been cancelled? Why do you think it didn’t catch on with a bigger audience?

Canceled and renewed TV show

180 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Joan says

Extremely sorry that Red Widow was cancelled. It showed rare emotion, great acting,
    and I wanted it to keep going. Twists and turns perhaps happened a little fast. I look forward to it’s return … I hope

2. jenn says

Very disappointed with ABC!!! I loved Red Widow! I was actually looking up to see when the new season was going to begin again. I was very upset to find out it was cancelled. How could you cancel a show you didn’t even give a chance. I hope reconsider and bring it back!!!!

3. Anonymous says

I really enjoyed watching Red Widow. I am very disappointed with ABC! I hope you reconsider and bring the show back. You didn’t even give the show a chance!!!!

4. jen says

Very disappointed ABC!! I love the show! You didn’t even give it a chance. I hope you reconsider and bring it back for another season.

5. Will says

I absolutely LOVE Sterling Beaumon! He’s so incredibly sexy, and he was great on the show. I don’t understand the logic that any of the TV networks use when determining whether to cancel or renew shows. I get that ratings has a lot to do with it, but seriously, there are terrible shows on right now that keep getting renewed (such as the “comedy” Men at Work on TBS), while excellent shows like Red Widow are canceled… it’s ridiculous!

6. Anonymous says

Just got around to watching it.I had the whole season taped.Can’t believe they would cancel a great show.Instead they keep all these stupid reality shows.I guess they don’t know when they have something good.

7. Donna says

So disappointed at yet another premature cancelling of a show that was picking up steam. Really ABC!! Why is it that you all don’t give show time enough to catch on! Initially I wasn’t into Red Widow but I continued to watch and was completely into it by the end of the season and leaving us hanging wondering whether or not the daughter is going to shoot Schiller is unforgiveable! You should really reconsider bringing this show back…some of u were really invested in this new show and wanted to see where it was going.

8. Annie says

So, so, so disappointed! What a great show! I hope the network reconsiders. I very much dislike all of the reality TV, and this was a quality story line.

9. Deborah says

Bad deal ABC!!! Red Widow is a great show! There are so many potential story lines for a 2nd season; the father seeking revenge from prison, the daughter trying to kill Schiller, the relationship between FBI agent and the sister, Schiller & Marta and so on. The show deserves a 2nd season and an effort by the network to make it work. Try putting it in a different time slot or different day. Drop the crap reality shows and put some intelligent, scripted drama shows back on TV. However, if ABC execs don’t have the brains or balls to bring this show back, maybe another network will. I’m down to 2 hours of ABC viewing time and that is questionable for the future based on the previous season efforts of those 2 shows. Advertisers and other networks take note! My time and money could be yours with the right incentive. Bring back Red Widow and more good, well-written TV dramas. Can the crap (deserves repeating) reality shows!

10. Judie says

Again, good shows are being cancelled while crapy ones are renewed … Unfortunately, with this being the last show I’ve been watching on ABC, I won’t be tuning in to ABC’s new lineup, in case I get caught up in another good show that ends up not being renewed & I end up disappointed again …. The current lineup is definitely disappointing & not worth my time unless Red Widow was continued. So long ABC …. Not being disappointed by you anymore …..

11. Melissa says

I am also disappointed Red Widow and Revenge are both cancelled. They are 2 of 4 shows I watch every week. I hope you are flooded with emailed about both shows and the cancellation is reconsidered.

12. vanessa says

I am really disappointed you keep cancelling great shows and renew old shows that are becoming BORING what the hell is wrong with you I hope you renew this show PLEASE it was one of the BEST SHOWS EVER please renew this show i wanna know how the story will end :C