Red Widow: New ABC TV Series; Cancel or Keep It?

red widow tv show cancel or keep?ABC hasn’t had much luck Sundays at 10pm. GCB was cancelled last year and 666 Park Avenue was dropped this season. Has the network found a winner in Red Widow or will it be rubbed out as well?

Red Widow revolves around a suburban mom whose husband is killed after he steals from the Russian mob. She finds herself caught between the interests of the mobsters and the FBI. The cast includes Radha Mitchell, Clifton Collins Jr., Luke Goss, Sterling Beaumon, Suleka Mathew, Erin Moriarty, Jaime Ray Newman, Jakob Salvati, Lee Tergesen, Wil Traval, Rade Serbedzija, and Goran Visnjic.

The two-hour series premiere on March 3rd drew a 1.5 rating with 7.13 million total viewers. It was a disappointing start to be sure and Red Widow was in fourth place in its 9pm timeslot.

Compared to the debut of GCB one year earlier, the network was down by 32% in the demo and down by 6% in viewership.

In week two, the ratings fell about 25% and registered a 1.1 demo rating and 5.31 million. Last week’s installment dropped again, to a 1.0 rating with 4.36 million.

It’s currently the network’s lowest rated series currently on the schedule. Unless the show’s ratings quickly rise, Red Widow is surely doomed and won’t see a second season.

On the positive side, ABC will surely let all eight episodes air. The last episode of the season (and likely the series) is scheduled to air on May 5th. Hopefully the finale will give viewers some sense of closure.

But what do you think? Should ABC cancel Red Widow or renew it for a second season instead? Why do you think it hasn’t caught on? Is Red Widow a better show than the ratings seem to indicate?

Carla August 15, 2013 at 1:31 am

Please have back on. We are in love with Red Widow is a great show.

Janet August 14, 2013 at 2:50 am

I totally love this show.I was in front of my tv every sunday night to watch Red Widow.This show has excellent story lines.I have to know what happens with Schiller.Please do not cancel this show.There is so much potential for this show.You need to give it a chance!

Jeanene August 11, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Keep Red Widow on the network. It is an interesting, exciting show. Please don’t replace with another stupid reality show!

piper pollock-cooley August 8, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Yes, red widow should be renewed because it’s facinating, intriguing, and really keeps you on the edg of your seat! The character of this woman, and how she fights for her childern, is so strong after the death of her husdband it’s amazing. This is one of the best shows on television today! Please renew this series so the fans who are truely invested can get “the rest of the story(s)!!!

Sincerely,

Piper

Diana August 5, 2013 at 10:50 pm

Please renew this show. Try putting it on an earlier time. Great story line and different from all other shows.

Taryn August 5, 2013 at 10:19 am

I can’t believe this was the series finale ! It is such a great series , it should be put back up !! Especially how the last episode ended !! Need a season 2 !

Debbie August 3, 2013 at 12:34 pm

I wasn’t hooked at first BUT geeeeeezzzzz… might as well stick to TVLand!
Red Widow was cut off right when it started getting good!! I was hooked!!!
Please bring it back

Debbie August 3, 2013 at 1:09 am

I wasn’t hooked at first…BUT geeezzzz why stay involved when its going to get canceled anyway. Might as well stick to TV Land. PLEASE RENEW!

Jane Crabill July 29, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Loved Red Widow. Please reconsider your decision to cancel this show or let a cable network buy it. All the characters were believable and the situations were also plausible. Red Widow was not your typical law and order crime show. At least let us see what happens to Marda and Schiller. Please think about this. Thank you.

Anonymous July 29, 2013 at 2:39 am

That is not a good thing!!

Alison July 26, 2013 at 8:15 pm

PLEASE renew Red Widow!! Thank you.

Karen B July 25, 2013 at 1:35 am

I am so hooked on Red Widow!!!! My heart completely sank when I read that it might not go on, It is very frustrating especaily how the last episode ended. I would LOVE to see it come back on!! Please, Please Pleeeaaaaasssssseee can we have it back on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wayne & Patty July 11, 2013 at 10:57 am

We are sorry to see “Red Widow ” canceled. The story line was very interesting and the interaction between the good and the bad was ever changing. We can only hope that if ABC doesn’t bring it back that some network will see the potential of this show. At least run summer reruns to catch more viewers if that’s what it will take!!!

Nivi June 29, 2013 at 11:37 am

Its an amazing show and very different from the typical crime shows. It definitely deserves a second season as it has such potential for story development.

JOAN DAVIES June 17, 2013 at 6:52 pm

At first I wasn’t impressed with “Red Widow ” but after I saw the romance and finding out her father killed her husband, I was hooked!!! Please give it another season, I don”t think you will regret it.