Red Widow: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

Red Widow to be canceled or renewed?Tonight marks the season finale of Red Widow since ABC ordered just eight episodes of the series. Is this the end? Will the drama be back for a second season or will it be cancelled instead?

For those unfamiliar with the show, Red Widow revolves around a San Francisco housewife and mother who finds herself forced to continue her husband’s work in organized crime after his death. The large cast includes Radha Mitchell, Clifton Collins Jr., Luke Goss, Sterling Beaumon, Suleka Mathew, Erin Moriarty, Jaime Ray Newman, Jakob Salvati, Lee Tergesen, Wil Traval, Rade Serbedzija, and Goran Visnjic.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like we’ll be seeing a second season renewal for Red Widow. The show’s ratings were poor at the start — debuting to a 1.5 demo rating with 7.13 million viewers — and have gotten a lot worse as the weeks have worn on.

Last week’s numbers fell to a new low — a 0.7 rating in the coveted 18-49 demographic with 3.47 million total viewers. Red Widow is one of the lowest-rated shows on the network, ensuring that ABC won’t be bringing it back next season.

But, what do you think? Should ABC renew the drama or are they justified in cancelling it? Are you satisfied with the last episode? How would you wrap up the storylines?

Save May 13, 2013 at 7:10 am

I have enjoyed red widow. The story line was awesome. Every ending of each episode was surprising. Never new what to expect. I DVR my show. It’s sad to know that this is not accounted for in ratings. I am in my 30s, 3 kids, a nurse and work nights. DVR everything. this is what I like. I loved Missing, got cancelled. I watch revenge, Nashville, bates motel, criminal minds, client list. I love a story! Bring it back! Maybe try the summer slot?

JAN May 12, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Please keep the show. I loved it! I was really upset when I saw ABC was not going to have a second season of it. I think the acting is great and I love the storyline. I am tired of all the reality shows that are taking over television. I watch nothing but sports on TV because there are no good shows to watch. I started watching Nashville and Red Widow and love them both. I looked forward each week to a new episode.

Heather May 12, 2013 at 9:25 am

I absolutely love this show- the characters are terrific- the storyline is exciting and unlike other shows its NOT predictable! I too came upon this show by accident there has been no advertising- if ratings are low its because nobody knows about it! ABC needs to give viewers a chance to find it because once they do they too would be hooked!

Disappointed! May 12, 2013 at 2:41 am

Eva ditto…It is really frustrating to find a show I really like and it gets cancelled before it can really find its traction. I’m sick of the reality shows. Its going to get to the point that I am not going to bother with network TV.

Mary Ann Wilson May 12, 2013 at 12:04 am

Everytime I fall in love with a show….it gets canned.
Give it another chance. The former ER actor SHINES in his role as Mr. Schiller and
is one of the sexiest actors around. KEEP THE SHOW!!!!

Mary Wheeler May 12, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Love this show, hate reality shows and all the other crap that is on there. Please bring it back, it was spellbinding. As far as i am concerned it is right up ther with my other favorites Dexter and Bates Motel.

Carrie Martin May 11, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Please bring this show back!! I actually enjoyed it just as much as Revenge. It had a great story line and never got boring and always kept me on the edge of my couch. ha. One season is not enough . Maybe the Sunday night spot is the problem. Can you move it somewhere else? Why doesn’t it pull enough people. I found it and loved it! Leave it on.

tweet May 11, 2013 at 7:58 pm

It never fails I watch a show I like a show and then it gets cancelled. I have to watch most of my shows on line cause I only have 1 channel. Please don’t cancel this show! I am sick of all the reality shows I like good old make believe.

val May 11, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Another good show cancelled on ABC. Shouldn’t the network at least allow the viewers an ending to the season finale.. We are left in limbo Very disappointed!!

Disatisfied May 11, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Every single new show I have liked in the past 10 years or so gets dropped after or during the first season. Yet the “reality”, gossip, and so-called talent programming continues to multiply exponentially. I don’t understand it. I rely more and more on my own collection of DVDs for entertainment instead of subscribing to cable or on-line streaming. Although, it does make it cheaper to own the entire series’ of my favorite television shows on DVD, since they only have one season.

Love the show May 11, 2013 at 11:04 am

I love the show try another season maybe a different time or day. It’s upsetting to watch a show and like it just to have it cancelled.

MM May 11, 2013 at 8:52 am

I’m so upset about red widow being cancelled. I looked forward to this show every week. With my busy scheduled I always watched it on demand and got caught up with all the episodes that way. This is the second series that got cancelled from this network that I really enjoyed. I’m so disappointed. Sunday night was my favorite tv night on abc. The network should keep red widow. It’s a great show!

WTF May 11, 2013 at 2:14 am

Well if they are gonna cancel it the finale sure could of been a lot better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eva May 11, 2013 at 12:58 am

To whom it may Concern,

I started to watch Red Widow completely by accident. I saw no build up for the show. I saw no ads. And with so many ways to watch things now, people watch shows on their computers etc. Networks put long intervals between episodes and don’t give people a chance to “find” a show. It has gotten so I would rather wait until I find out if a show is going to hang around before watching it and being disappointed when it is cancelled. I wait until I know for sure that it is going to stay around and then “catch up” on what ever I missed by other means. And if you depend solely on tv ads for a show, tivo has pretty much given many a way to never watch commercials ever again. I wait until a show has recorded before I watch it so I can zip through all the commercials. I have seen too many show go that I started to watch and never got closure.

RedWidowWidow May 20, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Ditto…ditto…ditto!!!

Me May 10, 2013 at 6:21 pm

keep it

Anonymous May 10, 2013 at 5:09 pm

ABC keeps cutting all of the good shows. It’s getting really annoying to see all the shows I like or am starting to get into just being dropped. Don’t cancel this one too!