Red Widow: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

Red Widow to be canceled or renewed?Tonight marks the season finale of Red Widow since ABC ordered just eight episodes of the series. Is this the end? Will the drama be back for a second season or will it be cancelled instead?

For those unfamiliar with the show, Red Widow revolves around a San Francisco housewife and mother who finds herself forced to continue her husband’s work in organized crime after his death. The large cast includes Radha Mitchell, Clifton Collins Jr., Luke Goss, Sterling Beaumon, Suleka Mathew, Erin Moriarty, Jaime Ray Newman, Jakob Salvati, Lee Tergesen, Wil Traval, Rade Serbedzija, and Goran Visnjic.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like we’ll be seeing a second season renewal for Red Widow. The show’s ratings were poor at the start — debuting to a 1.5 demo rating with 7.13 million viewers — and have gotten a lot worse as the weeks have worn on.

Last week’s numbers fell to a new low — a 0.7 rating in the coveted 18-49 demographic with 3.47 million total viewers. Red Widow is one of the lowest-rated shows on the network, ensuring that ABC won’t be bringing it back next season.

But, what do you think? Should ABC renew the drama or are they justified in cancelling it? Are you satisfied with the last episode? How would you wrap up the storylines?

Canceled and renewed TV show

329 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. charlene says

As a baby-boomer I was raised on soaps, therefore I was excited to see night-time soaps. Next to Scandal , Red Widow was my favorite. I think 2nd season would have pulled it off. This had excellent writing and acting. Please reconsider or hopefully another network can pick it up.
    Bad move

2. Vallon says

Please renew the show! It has a little bit of everything, but not over the top and I really look forward to seeing it The lead actors are fantastic, but I would replace the daughter. Sorry! The daughter seems too sweet to be in a mob family. She needs more edge and the ending scene was little unbelievable because of it. Other that, it’s perfect!

3. carrie says

please do not cancel Red Widow. It was one of the best shows on tv. I really can’t believe that the ratings were do low. This show, the writing and the acting was outstanding. It will be very disappointing is this show is canceled

4. Kristin says

Please do not cancel this show. It tops my very small list of tv shows that I make time to watch each week. It’s extremely well acted and the highlight of my very long week. There must be a season 2!!

5. aj says

I certainly hope it is brought back, i liked it, yah could have used a little spruce up. i think Evan should be brought back soon. The feds were going to protect him, so they could have nabbed him after being shot and faked his own death to protect him. Now it is time to have him make contact with his wife, just after her feelings start to change for Nik. hmm i think i can write for the show, spice it up a little.

6. Shawn says

This is a great show! How could they consider canceling it! After 8 episodes! They shouldn’t cancel every show just because ratings were low. Give it another season at least! One of the best shows I’ve watched! Don’t break my heart!

7. Vita says

this was a GREAT show.. loved every episode. they are always taking off the shows worth watching to put on the non sense shows.

8. Cathy says

This show was awesome, why do they keep getting rid of really good shows, but always bring on all these reality shows. please……

9. Michelle says

I dvr’d red widow every episode Lso…but I love it! Big fan here…hoping for another season!

10. Audry says

Please don’t cancel!!!!!! I love This Show!! Never missed one episode! I admit i had to DVR it every week to watch it because of scheduling. But I think the show needs to have another season and be given a fair chance!!! I will be very disappointed if Red Widow doesn’t continue with another season!!! Especially with how they ended it and after only 8 episodes!!??!!!??! DONT CANCEL!!!

11. Helen hollar says

I love the series red widow and I don’t think you gave it a chance. I found it very interesting and was very disappointed that you ended it so soon. Give it a chance and don’t end it so soon.