Reunion: Killer’s Identity Revealed for Cancelled Fox Show

The short-lived show Reunion, created by Jon Harmon Feldman (who also created the prematurely cancelled 2003-05 series, Tru Calling), centers on the lives of six friends. The show premiered with the murder of one of the friends at a 20-year high school reunion. The series then followed the criminal investigation in the present, while flashing back to the characters’ past – one episode covering one year of their lives, starting with 1986 and working forward to the present.

To date, nine episodes have aired and 13 have been produced. Production was halted after the show was cancelled and its 13 episode original order (up to 1998, eight years before the murder happened) were completed.

Reunion castAs a result, viewers were left hanging. Creator Feldman said that, because of the nature of the show, it was unlikely that the killer of Alexa Davalos’ character “Samantha” would ever be revealed.

In December, Feldman said “The show was intricately plotted over 22 episodes to tell the full story of our characters’ lives (and deaths). Because the events of Samantha’s murder are partially reliant on characters we haven’t yet met – and events we haven’t yet seen – there is no way to solve the mystery of her murder without being able to complete the full arc of our story through present-day.”

Despite an outpouring of fan support, it doesn’t look like the show will be resurrected but a FOX executive has given a clue as to the identity of who the killer was (probably) going to be.

At the recent Television Critics Association press tour, FOX Entertainment president Peter Ligouri discussed the show’s premature finish. Ligouri shared, “Reunion was particularly cumbersome in terms of trying to provide an ending for the audience. How [creator Jon Harmon Feldman] was laying out the show to gap those additional years was an incredibly complex path. There were a number of options, and he didn’t make a definitive decision on which option he was going to go with as to who the killer was, and there was just no way to accelerate that time.”

He went on to say that the network and the show’s writers talked about several options for the killer’s identity, but “the best guess was (at that particular time) that it was going to be Sam’s daughter,” whom she had given up for adoption in the first episodes. The exact reason for the murder remains a mystery.

Despite the show’s failure to find an audience (averaging 4.3 million viewers), Ligouri said FOX won’t shy away from trying unique forms of storytelling in the future.

“It is regrettable when stories end before their time. I don’t think that should stop us from being ambitious with serialized storytelling. We put these shows on and we’re going to continue to put these shows on every year with every good intention to end them, but eventually the audience votes.” TV Series Finale home page

lauren March 6, 2008 at 1:30 am

just so everyone knows, i found all of the episodes they filmed on DVD – including the ones that were never aired (1995-1998). while it was great to watch the show again and to see those additional ones for the first time, it renewed my anger at FOX for cancelling the show…anyway, i just thought i’d share in case anyone was interested in seeing the last few episodes

just a note, it took like a month for me to receive the DVDs but i don’t remember the website telling me that when i ordered them…

Sofia February 29, 2008 at 10:19 am

Well, as a tv series’ lover I think this is the worst way to treat a show. I’m not even an american and I’m addicted to this tv series. Imagine those all around the world. All this time after this tv show has captured the atention of millions of people. I believe that if the final episodes (attention: only one episode as a final could ruin all the other 13 episodes and the story itself) were shown current days some big numbers could be achieved, you know all this polemic surronding the series…

muxiaoqi February 10, 2008 at 2:33 am

I want reunion back…..>_______<

iwannakonwwhokilledsam January 17, 2008 at 11:36 am

i want reunion back !!!!!!!
it was a great show everyone loved it . we want to kow who killed sam
it can’t be her daughter !

Laura January 14, 2008 at 6:52 am

is there really no possible way of returning the series? its obvious that it is in demand by all the viewers that did see it, the tv ratings probably werent so good as it was shown in the daytime in the uk whilst people were working. i think it is pretty obvious that the actors that were in this series arent doing much better now, i mean Alexa Davalos has had a small part in prison break and one of the men is in brothers and sisters but none of these small parts are better than the ones they were playing surely?? i am losing faith in fox entertainment, you’ve let much worse shows live on!

Kayla January 13, 2008 at 6:32 pm

I was a devoted Reunion fan and I’m still dissappointed almost two years later that this show was cancelled! I am incredibly upset with the Fox network. I believe that they should have finished the season. The show could not have lasted more than one season, but they could have at least finished it instead of leaving us hanging. Besides Prison Break, I no longer support Fox programming. ABC all the way! They don’t cancel shows in the middle of the season…

Anonymous January 13, 2008 at 12:20 pm

I’m tired of the stupid pointless reality tv shows fox airs. put reunion back on. and thanks fox for calling us four million nobodies.

Jen January 13, 2008 at 12:15 pm

Reunion was one of my favorite T.V. shows. It was an extremely creative plot, with amazing actors and actresses. It was awesome how there was suspense/mystery AND drama all in one show. I looked foward to watching it every Thursday. So I was super confused when it suddenly stopped. There wasn’t any explanation, except for then internet. I still can’t wrap my head around the fact that FOX just cancelled it in the middle of the season. It’s a little too late, in my opinion, to re-air the show, but in the future, plan the series better and don’t cancel in the middle of the season. That’s FOX not doing their job.

polkovodets January 12, 2008 at 10:10 am

It was a great show. It’s very pity that all Tv channels look on rating, and do not look at what time they put the series. Prime time or not. There was a good series, as Traveler, Journeyman and others. That was closed. But this series have interesting screenplay… It’s pity that Tv channels put some soap, instead of good series…

Dee. December 22, 2007 at 12:41 pm

i agree. Reunion was AMAZING, and one week, i just turn on the tv to try and watch it, and it’s not there! WTF! YOU SUCK FOX!
Bring back reunion and the OC and Summerland…wait..was Summerland a Fox show? Because it, too, was awesome and was taken away from us once again. Thanks.

imissreunion December 9, 2007 at 9:50 am

please fox!!!!! if you dont want to air it, make dvd’s!!! I LOVED this show, I talked about it ALLL the time, I was so upset when it just “disappeared”.
Let us know something!!!! If not on this website, on FOX.com or even a commerical about it would be nice..bring it back!!!

Tara November 5, 2007 at 11:37 am

I’m so glad to see I’m not the only disgruntled Reunion fan still out there now almost 2 years after the show was taken off the air! I just want to lend another voice to what everyone else has been saying – 13 episodes were made and we only saw 9, PLEASE at least release those 13 on DVD if not the entire season. Just by reading this list of comments, you can obviously see there are plenty of people out there who would buy it! And just like the last person to post – excluding 24 (which it’s amazing has survived this long on such a network), I refuse to watch any shows on Fox anymore. Way to lose a ton of viewers, Fox.

Walt October 19, 2007 at 12:58 pm

Excluding 24, I’VE DECIDED NOT TO WATCH FOX ANYMORE.

I’ve had it. These idiots make great shows and cancel them midseason, screwing the viewers.

There’s no point in following a great show anymore because it’ll probably be canceled.

Jana October 3, 2007 at 6:21 pm

I loved this show. My girlfriends and I watched it just like we watch Grey’s Anatomy each week. Please bring Reunion back. I think you are underestimating the fan base it had.

Amber Booker September 26, 2007 at 3:01 pm

I am glad that I am not the oinly one that misses this show after sooooo long. i think that Fox made a mistake and that they should have finished airing it, and filming it. What we have to remember is that there is no way for them to put it out on DVD unless they finish filming it. PLEASE FOX I BEG YOU!!!!