Revenge: What Happened? Has the ABC Series Been Cancelled?

Revenge canceled?This evening, fans of ABC’s Revenge may be in for a surprise. The freshman drama has been replaced by an ABC special with a similar name — Revenge for Real. That’s no doubt the network’s attempt to attract regular viewers to watch a news special. So, has the real Revenge been cancelled? When will it be back?

For those who aren’t familiar with the TV series, Revenge revolves around Emily Thorne (Emily Van Camp), a young woman who comes to the Hamptons with a secret agenda; to exact vengeance on the wealthy people who ruined her family’s life and reputation. The drama also features the talents of Ashley Madekwe, Christa B. Allen, Connor Paolo, Gabriel Mann, Henry Czerny, Joshua Bowman, Madeleine Stowe, and Nick Wechsler.

Revenge debuted to a healthy 3.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 10.0 million total viewers. Week two saw the all-important demo fall 18% and week three dropped another 11%. Over the next several weeks, the ratings rose and fell, dropping as low as a 2.1 demo rating.

The way things were going, it looked like Revenge might be heading for the cancellation pile — like so many failed ABC dramas that had come before it — but the numbers evened off and the show’s been averaging a healthy 2.5 in the demo in 2012. While the show isn’t a big ratings hit, it certainly isn’t a flop either. Revenge’s demo average is actually stronger than that of aging shows like Castle and Private Practice.

Unfortunately, ABC has now put the series on hiatus for four weeks — a bit of a scheduling gamble that could seriously hurt viewership.

ABC News’ Revenge for Real will take over for two weeks and then repeats of a new Thursday night drama, Missing, will fill the slot for two weeks after that. Revenge isn’t slated to return until April 4th. It’s unclear if that night will feature a repeat or one of the six remaining originals.

The way things stand right now, it looks like a sure bet that Revenge will be renewed for a second season. Hopefully, enough viewers will return to watch the show after the hiatus so the ratings don’t drop and put the series’ future in jeopardy.

UPDATE: Revenge will now return on April 11th with a recap show. An original regular episode will air on April 18th and the finale will run on May 23rd.

What do you think? Will this hiatus cause the ratings to drop or do you think Revenge is assured of a season two renewal?

Amb February 7, 2013 at 2:16 am

Trying to watch this show has been so dang annoying. It is rarely on, so you forget what happened because they take so long between next showings. Ridiculous. Why bother putting a show on if you are not going to air it? Duh! I really like the show, too. I have no idea when or IF thee is going to be another show. Does it just go poof and gone? Drives me nuts! Seems like everything I like they screw it up!

What a waste….

Anne February 4, 2013 at 8:43 pm

I loveeeeee this show and can’t believe they did this! ABC pleaseeeee put it back on Sunday Nights!!! It’s my favorite show!! :-(

Marilyn McIldoon February 3, 2013 at 10:57 pm

So disappointed! Reality sucks! What next, NCIS?

Ken February 3, 2013 at 4:51 pm

This is a great show! The Exec’s are stupid !

Anonymous January 28, 2013 at 12:46 pm

OH WOW our favorite SHOW on TV!! They gotta get this back immediately we can’t wait to see the next episode if ABC don’t bring this right back we will NEVER WATCH ABC EVER AGAIN! enough already bring back the show!

mm January 28, 2013 at 12:17 pm

shame on you – I look forward to seeing the program and you mess it up – hope you fix it !!!!!!!!!!

DONT DO IT January 4, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Personally I LOVE THIS SHOW, and i agree with most of you. All they have to do is just play the remaining episodes and keep making more. Please ABC there are faithful viewers out there. LIKE US!!!!!

Louise December 23, 2012 at 6:59 pm

I am sick to death with ABC. Every time I get intesrested in watching something
every week, they put “spec ials” on, no matter what day of the week it is. Tonite makes week 4 with NO revernge. Well you’ll get my revernge3. I am off abc
for anything showinsg at night. Not sure if I’ll evet see it again so.l as they say,
“See ya’ in the funnies”… 12 – 23- 2012

lou December 16, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Way to go. The show was great and l to couldn’t wait to Sunday night.
Please put it back and Sunday. Who’s stupid idea was it to remove this good
show.

DONT DO IT January 4, 2013 at 4:55 pm

I agree

Amb February 7, 2013 at 2:22 am

Goofy idea is right it has been weeks since last show! They say next week…..but that week never comes! What the heck are they screwing around with it for?

Jane Hill December 12, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Way yo go ABC. Our FAVORITE show on tv. You messed it up for us….lost interest. Too much time off the air. You had a good thing and lost us.

Amb February 7, 2013 at 2:17 am

There are goofy!

jfk fly guy November 30, 2012 at 10:56 am

I wait all week looking forward to see this show, its great, keep it going.

Kathleen Wilkirson November 19, 2012 at 11:20 pm

I couldn’t believe it was not on!!!!! I wait all week to see it. All the characters are fantastic! Nolan Ross has a special mysterious quality along with other very special and excellent people. Please continue the serious!!!!!!!! Is there a book with the story line???

Patricia November 10, 2012 at 12:22 pm

I will not watch anything on AETV ata any time if REVENGE is taken off. What a way to screw all of us who have been watching it faithfully and look forward to doing so. I’ll just write of AETV from my list of viewing. Goodbye!

Amb February 7, 2013 at 2:20 am

Me, too. Cannot trust them obviously.

martha power October 18, 2012 at 2:34 pm

hi i am totally hooked on the story etc, i have very good instincts when it comes to wether a series or show is worth watching. the plot is good the pace also, i can usually work it out ahead but this one keeps you guessing .I know about America, but i reckon theres a lot of women here in Britain are hooked on it.

Anonymous October 15, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I agree it does make Mondays more liveable

Janis Schmidt January 28, 2013 at 8:30 pm

I refuse to watch any show that reempted Revenge. Not only did I watch Revenge, I watched many episodes on line.

Amb February 7, 2013 at 2:19 am

I did, too. Hated missing any. Now…..you never know if it going to be on again! Why put it on the air if you have no clue what you are doing?