Revolution: Fewer Episodes; Why a Long Hiatus?

RevolutionIn early October, NBC gave Revolution a full season order. It was presumed that the network had ordered nine additional episodes, bringing the season total to 22 installments. Not so.

Before it went on hiatus, 10 episodes of Revolution had aired. At the TCA Winter Press Tour, NBC Entertainment Chairman Robert Greenblatt mentioned that there were 10 episodes left in the season. It was later confirmed that NBC has indeed ordered just 20 episodes.

Regarding the long hiatus, the choice to split up the season is similar to how some cable dramas have been handling their seasons. ABC found that Lost didn’t repeat well and frustrated viewers because the reruns interrupted the flow of the story. Executive producer JJ Abrams said scheduling Lost without repeats “helped tremendously. When this came up for [Revolution], I was tremendously relieved. It’s the best thing for the viewers.”

The move also assures that Revolution will continue to have the benefit of the network’s strongest lead-in, The Voice. Both shows return on Monday, March 25th and all episodes are expected to air before June.

What do you think? Do you agree with NBC’s scheduling choice? How about their episode order?

Null And Void January 18, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Really? The Voice? Couldn’t give a darn about that. I’m with all the others that are losing interest in Revolution due to the long break.

Liz January 14, 2013 at 9:09 pm

Stupid move NBC. Wanted to watch this show, but will lose interest now.

Mike January 13, 2013 at 11:07 pm

NBC is crazy, put it back on. Theres nothing to watch

Sara January 11, 2013 at 9:22 pm

I don’t don’t why you can’t watch the past episodes on demand. It’s really frustrating!!!

Sara January 11, 2013 at 9:20 pm

I agree that this is a great show. The timing is perfect. However NBC’s decision to cut it short of the season is not. They should then start the re-runs from the beginning so that those of us that missed it from the start, could follow on with the new episodes when they resume the season again on March.

GAIL HOOVER January 11, 2013 at 8:04 pm

NBC NEEDS TO ORDER MORE REVOLUTION EPISODES.I LOVE THIS SHOW AND THINK THEY SHOW START SHOWING SHOWS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!I AM REALLY DISGUSTED WITH NBC’S WAITING UNTIL MARCH TO BEGIN NEW SHOWS.

mark January 11, 2013 at 12:05 am

this is one of the few series that had the potential of becoming a hit, but NBC as usual are turning success into failure, little wonder I haven’t watched NBC much over the years.

Star January 10, 2013 at 5:37 am

I think what they are doing is wrong to.

mike January 10, 2013 at 5:02 am

I can’t imagine many people coming back for the second half of the series tbh I think NBC will be quite surprised at the dip in the number of viewers because the 1st half of the season was pretty dam awful

Sonny January 9, 2013 at 6:06 pm

I think it was a bunch of BS. As far as I”M concerned with the curent events in politics and the weather doing extreme things all over the globe, the timming was perfect. What the network should have done is lose one or two of its weaker searies and moved Revolution to another time slot. I have talked to several people about the show and they all loved it. I think that a gamble with this show was not real smart. But what do I know, I”M 68 years old and have beaten stage 4 colon rectal cancer for 17 years. That’s what ya get when you defy the Oncologist.

TM January 9, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Why Watch: I agree. That happened for me with Dexter. I downloaded an entire season (last years) and still have not worked up the interest to re-immerse myself in this series. Too bad.

TM January 9, 2013 at 5:37 pm

I’ve appreciated Kripke’s character development skill-set in Supernatural-it shines because there’s almost no disbelief left to suspend when the main characters are, at various times, sent to hell, purgatory, heaven, the future, the past and alternate realities via the intercession of God, Satan, angels, demons, vampires, werewolves, etc. It’s been an enjoyable ride, and one where plot points have nothing to stick to.
But when you move to science fiction one MUST create a believable universe that consistently behaves by it’s own rules, with plausible causes for consequences. In Revolution, the universe is hastily and at times illogically sketched.
1) Electricity can’t flow due to some mysterious planet-wide field. Yet in one episode a tornado descends upon a troop of militia and their captive, with the clear sounds and sights of lightning in the background. WTF?? Either explain that the phenomenon only affects human generated “artificial” electricity (in an incredibly selective way) OR that it affects EVERYTHING, but with subtle effects on the earth’s own natural power surges. Is static electricity a thing of the past? How does anyone’s heart or brain function? This is too easily glossed over.
2) People were fed, clothed, washed, and educated all without the widespread use of electricity in 1890 when the population was 75 million. Why is everyone in this show, 15 years on, dressed in either pristine current clothing or incredibly bad rough home-spun? Look at the clothing in photographs from the 1850s on. Unless you were a slave or aristocrat, it didn’t look that bad or that good.
3) I was heartened to see bicycles for sale (briefly) in one episode. Why aren’t more of them used? There’s something like 200 million bicycles, old and new, hanging around America and far, far, fewer horses. Maybe unmainained highways are too rough for horsedrawn carriages, but a man can cover far, far, more territory on a bike using nearly impassable roads then he can on a horse. Look at photos of China in 1900. More folks riding bikes than horses back then, even in the countryside. I think bikes would be incredibly useful, more valuable than horses, and cherished in this alternative future.
4) Firearm cartridges were manufactured without the use of electricity for decades. And you can fire black powder in the same cartridges over and over again with hand-powered reloading machines. They won’t be as powerful as smokeless ones, and I doubt a semi-automatic chambering mechanism will work properly, but hey, there’s 300 million guns in the US right NOW – why try to manufacture a bunch of flintlocks when you already have more advanced weapons that will still work?

Why Watch January 9, 2013 at 4:58 pm

A long hiatus has killed most network shows. By the time the show comes back on, too much time has passed, people have forgotten aspects of the show and are now engaged with other shows in full swing. Bad move NBC.

Anonymous January 14, 2013 at 1:59 pm

I agree. Other than reality shows, NBC doesn’t offer much.

Jeremy Rynek January 9, 2013 at 12:45 pm

That is a point with the complex storyline, but on the hand, this show seems to be dragging it’s feet, and people are gonna care less and less and with the long hiatus, that just means less, but it’s their money, not mine, obviously.

BG January 9, 2013 at 10:00 am

NBC is screwing around w a potential hit. Bad move.