Revolution: Quickly Cancelled or Big Hit?

NBC Revolution TV showEarlier this month, NBC released the first episode of Revolution online. They were likely hoping to give viewers a chance to sample the TV series early and get some positive “word of mouth” advertising going. Tonight, the peacock network is airing the pilot on regular television. Will the show be quickly cancelled, a moderate success, or a big hit in the ratings?

Revolution takes place 15 years after an unknown phenomenon disabled all advanced technology and powered devices on the planet. People are forced to adapt and rebuild and, not surprisingly, the world becomes a very different place. Members of the Matheson family seem to have some answers as to what happened and how power might be returned.

The TV show’s cast includes Billy Burke, Tracy Spiridakos, Anna Lise Phillips, Graham Rogers, JD Pardo, Zak Orth, Maria Howell, David Lyons, Giancarlo Esposito, Tim Guinee, Elizabeth Mitchell, Derek Webster, and Daniella Alonso.

Once the other networks have their shows in place, Revolution will be airing opposite ABC’s Castle and Hawaii Five-0 on CBS. NBC has ordered 13 episodes of Revolution to start.

Before you share your opinion below, here are some previews and the full pilot:

So, what do you think? Does Revolution look like a hit or a candidate for quick cancellation? Will you tune in, DVR the show, or skip it altogether? Do you think previewing and releasing the first episode online will help or hurt the show’s ratings?

Rex May 19, 2014 at 9:12 am

Revolution is an awesome show! It has a huge fandom! And it definitely should not have been cancelled. Seems like good television shows get cancelled all the time these days. There’s too much catering to the younger generation with this Reality TV crap & Crime Shows. Good shows that require a thought process to follow along seem to be a thing of the past, and that’s a shame. And for the syfy fans out there, there’s even less of a choice of shows to watch. Revolution combined syfy, with real world problems and deep characters that the audience could relate too. It combined action & violence, deep plot development, and a little romance and did an excellent job at it. It’s one of the few shows that my entire family could watch together, because there was a little something for everyone. It may have been expensive to make, but when you produce something that is excellent and worth people’s time to watch, it takes money, plain & simple!

Marie McGaha May 20, 2014 at 9:03 pm

Well said and I completely agree. I don’t watch those stupid reality show, or those stupider singing shows, like The Voice – I watch Revolution, The Black List & Grimm. I’m sure one or both of those will soon be cancelled as well. You’re right, any show that requires a brain gets cancelled leaving those of us who actually have a brain watching How to Kill Your Husband, Snapped, and Wives With Knives, and taking notes… or is that just me? LOL

v May 15, 2014 at 4:25 pm

What? R u freaken kidding me!!!! Those people at Nbc r smokin 2 much crack. They don’t care bout the viewers. They just wanna pull the wool over advertizes eyes just 2 replace it with another show that cant bring n live viewers . It seems they can’t fathom all this new technology.How we really watch Tv
.Someone aughta tell em to wake up cuz its not the 1980,s anymore. I don’t wanna go back watching live Telly. They’ll penalize the viewers for watching a program on the day that is convenient to the viewer is because they don’t know how 2 advertized without live TV. Before Dvr’s I had VCR’s and I’m here 2 tell you we haven’t watch live TV n 20
years. There is soooo many ways they could advertize inside of our favorite program. Bring back real season with 50 episode. Stop all the killing series and stop 10 episode per season.
I like 2 watch 2 or 3 episodes at a time. SO I CAN build more of a rapport with the characters. sO MANY WAYS 2 WATCH TV NOW and rating just Penalize our choice of the new technolgy.
You’d think they could start thinking like their n 21st century and not the stone age

Peter May 26, 2013 at 1:47 pm

This TV serie has for me an high mark. Top quality story, acting, cast and action sequences. By far underestimated. This is a really good show. Revolution is AWESOME!!!!

Randy May 24, 2013 at 3:45 pm

My wife and I love the show. We can’t wait for each new episode.

Phil May 20, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Revolution is AWESOME
I can’t imagine that it would be cancelled, it was way to good, good characters, good plot, good moral message. HOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Keep ‘em coming.

Dave May 15, 2013 at 2:56 pm

I it it’s entertaining, sometimes corny but over all good and fun to watch.

Cheryl May 15, 2013 at 12:28 pm

I love this show. I look forward to it every week and even have it set to record in case I miss an episode. KEEP THIS SHOW………………

D Harvell May 12, 2013 at 3:13 pm

I’m a tough critic, when it comes to TV shows, picking apart plots, as soon as a hole develops, that I can exploit. Even my favorite shows are subject to my critical eye. “Revolution”, though not immune to the occasional scathing comment, has been a very strong show, in terms of plot. All you need is a little imagination and an attention span that lasts more than 5 episodes. Like any good story, questions are asked, but not immediately answered. But, if you stick with it, answers you receive. As it should be! The writing can be a bit… awkward… but, all-in-all, I’ll continue to tune in!

Ronnie May 12, 2013 at 10:38 am

I Like it & watch it every week when it’s on so I think it should be renewed

Manu May 8, 2013 at 3:17 pm

No related to the topic, but I’ve always thought that Tim Guinee would be the perfect candidate to portray Bruce Banner… (: o

P May 17, 2013 at 10:20 am

I 100% agree!! He’s the perfect fit!

TJ May 8, 2013 at 4:34 am

SEMI SPOILER ALERT : @J ZUZ, several of your points were addressed in April Episodes which you didn’t “stick it out for”. Such as, “What caused the power to go out” (it’s 100 quintillion, or 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, of these microscopic devices that only have two commands : reproduce and absorb energy – - – so it doesn’t matter if you’re really smart and reinvent the battery because it’s energy will still be absorbed) …. second, “Steam and Coal”, we see these in use in the Georgia Republic in a converted school bus and a steam fishing boat. Once the secret of these little devices was revealed, the basis for the show became a lot more plausible (maybe even possible as a lot of the “ideas” from 1960′s Star Trek transformed from Science Fiction to Science Fact). Also, without power, a lot of the smart people will die because in a world without power you’d find those with more primal essential skills (and strength) tend to have the necessary survival skills (construction, farming, fighting, etc.)

The show is a bit corny at times but it’s foundation is still sound in the plot of “We royally screwed up the world and now we have to fix it!”. It also shows how various people live and exploit the situation of a post-electrical power world.

ben May 1, 2013 at 6:20 am

I mind it very much, it’s staying strong, and a second season. Ha ha, I hate Danny.

J Kuz April 19, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Nooooooooo!!!!

I could go on about how crappy this show is and how disappointed I am in the show’s creators, but that would mean spoiling anticlimactic plot details for those people that want to waste their time like I did. Very simply, when the show was on mid-season hiatus, I found myself not missing it. When the show came back, my equally disappointed wife talked me into ‘giving it another chance’. Let me put it this way: WE stopped watching the show after that episode, and you may understand if you make it that far.

I do have a couple questions, and they may have been answered since I stopped watching the show. Before electric, and the digital age, there was steam and coal. And, why don’t batteries work? When the power went out, did all the smart people die, also? Even the ancient Egyptians knew how to make batteries.

‘we gotta save Danny, we gotta save Danny…’ UGH!!!

total fail

You’ve been warned, if you really value your time, please, please, please, don’t waste your time. Even my 12 year old daughter, who curiously watched the mid-season finale, compared it’s stench to that of Twilight Breaking Dawn, part 2. Then, curiously watched the mid-season premiere, and reconsidered that at least Twilight Breaking Dawn, part 2, was at the very least, entertaining. She hasn’t watched since.

Cheryl May 15, 2013 at 12:31 pm

THEN WATCH SOMETHING ELSE, BUT THE REST OF US, INCLUDING MYSELF, LIKE THIS SERIES…………

Tony April 18, 2013 at 4:44 pm

I DVR all of my shows just so that I can skip all of the stupid commercials. Great Show, I hope it continues.

Mike April 14, 2013 at 1:55 pm

I really like it, got me hooked!!!