Ringer: Cancelled; No Season Two for CW Series

Ringer cancelled season twoHeralded as Sarah Michelle Gellar’s return to television, Ringer couldn’t hold onto its audience. The show’s been cancelled after one season and 22 episodes.

As Ringer begins, we meet Bridget (Gellar), a former stripper and recovering alcoholic who’s witnessed a murder and goes to stay with her estranged twin sister Siobhan (also Gellar). Her sister disappears so Bridget takes Siobhan’s place and soon realizes that her sister’s life was more complicated than her own. The TV series also features the talents of Nestor Carbonell, Ioan Gruffudd, Mike Colter, Tara Summers, Kristoffer Polaha, Zoey Deutch, Justin Bruening, Billy Miller, Jason Dohring, Nicole Anderson, and Gage Golightly.

Considering the amount of promotion that The CW put behind it, Ringer’s premiere had to viewed as a bit of a disappointment. It registered a 1.2 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 2.84 million total viewers.

Should Ringer have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

In week two, the demo dropped a whopping 25% to a 0.9 rating with 1.94 million. Week thee remained stable but week four plunged 33%.

Over the course of the season, the ratings fluctuated but also dwindled downward. They fell as low as a 0.4 rating (several times) with as few as 1.05 million viewers.

With very few hours of primetime real estate to fill, it just didn’t make sense for The CW to renew Ringer for a second season. They’ve cancelled the show and the last episode aired on April 17th. Since it wasn’t expected to be a series finale, several storylines were left up in the air.

What do you think? Are you disappointed that Ringer has been cancelled and won’t be returning for season two? Why do you think the ratings declined? Was it too hard to follow or just not interesting enough?

kim September 10, 2012 at 12:54 pm

PLEASE BRING RINGER BACK!!!! It was such a great show. It’s like reading a book and never being able to read the end. You can’t do that. Please continue Ringer :)

Ashley September 7, 2012 at 5:46 pm

I am a big fan of Sarah! I loved the drama and yes the show did have a lot of going back and forth from the present to the past. But who wants something uncomplicated? I really would have liked to see where the show would have went in Season 2. Big disappointment to fans all over! Thanks CW!!!!!

s morris September 4, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Please put Ringer back on. The show was great!!!
You can’t just leave us hanging the way it ended. I have been telling everybody about the show. I even have my husband watching it…

Denise Ribeiro September 4, 2012 at 9:32 am

Please bring Ringer back!!! I love the show!!!! Very Sad :-( please!!!! Bring ”Ringer” back!!!
Denise Ribeiro.

monica September 3, 2012 at 5:33 pm

PLease please don’t cancel Ringer it was a really great show and I was really looking forward to the 2nd season. Please bring it back to just put a final end to the crazy twist.

maria September 3, 2012 at 1:27 am

I was hooked from the very beginning then got my family in on it. We were all anxiously waiting for the new season but had to read its cancelation while searching the characters. How are you going to leave the audience hanging mid way through? At least have a second season to properly end it and please the audience that was watching cw. Sarah is amazing!

diane September 2, 2012 at 10:02 am

This was my favorite show and I wish you would reconcider. There are sooo many cop shows, reality shows, investigative shows. This was one that had a somewhat intricate plot that kept you thinking and surprised yet it was not so complicated. I think it is riduculous to cut off a show in the middle of its resolution and this alone will make me stay away from the cw. They need to at least have a press release with what would’ve been the plot.

Denise Jenkins August 30, 2012 at 5:43 pm

I loved the Ringer. Why was it taken off. It was one of my favorite prime time shows and it was getting very interesting. I think that whomever is doing these ratings don’t know what they’re doing. Please bring my show back and stop showing these stupid reality shows.

Debbie August 26, 2012 at 2:02 pm

I found this show very interesting and can’t understand why the ratings would be so low. I think this a mistake and there are alot of other shows that could hav been cancelled instead.

Pat August 23, 2012 at 10:38 am

Please Bring it Back I loved the show Ringer and looked forward to it each week.They put crap show in place of all these good ones ? Take the crap ones out like “The Office ” an place It Back asap Please??

Brandy August 22, 2012 at 6:35 pm

I loved this show and can’t believe it’s been cancelled!! I enjoyed so much seeing SMG back on TV. Bummer!

BBB August 20, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Please bring Ringer Back or at least end it appropriately! I’m about to lose my mind that this ending!

michelle means August 20, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I don’t understand why y’all would cut off. The ringer that was the best show ever. I wish y’all could turn that show back on. It had everything I like to see plus the drama in the show was great. Who ever wrote that show did a good job I dnt understand why it’s off. I’m sad about it :(

heather August 20, 2012 at 5:11 pm

i loved the show ringer im dissapointed its gone

sylvia barnes August 20, 2012 at 2:22 pm

I love the show “Ringer” and looked forward to it every week! Too bad they take many of our great shows off the air so quickly! I think that the Nielsen ratings are rigged somehow??!!