Ripper Street

ripper street tv showNetwork: BBC America
Episodes: Ongoing (hour)
Seasons: Ongoing

TV show dates: January 19, 2013 — TBD
Series status: Cancelled but then revived

Performers include: Matthew Macfadyen, Jerome Flynn, Adam Rothenberg, MyAnna Buring, Charlene McKenna, Amanda Hale, Jonathan Barnwell, David Wilmot, and David Dawson.

TV show description:
This dramatic TV show begins in April 1889 in London — six months after the last Jack the Ripper killing. H Division is responsible for policing one and a quarter square miles of East London, a district with a population of 67,000 poor and dispossessed and also filled with factories, rookeries, chop shops, brothels and pubs.

The men of H Division had hunted Jack the Ripper and failed to find him. When more women are murdered on the streets of Whitechapel, the police begin to wonder if the killer has returned.

To investigate the killings, calm and meticulous Detective Inspector Edmund Reid (Matthew Macfadyen) and his troubled right-hand-man, Detective Sergeant Bennett Drake (Jerome Flynn), team up with Captain Homer Jackson (Adam Rothenberg), a US Army surgeon and a former Pinkerton detective who’s an expert in the world of early forensics.

They cross paths with Tenter Street brothel madam Long Susan (MyAnna Buring). She and Jackson came to London from America and both reside at the brothel. Their relationship has become strained due to Jackson’s attraction to one of Long’s most profitable girls, Rose Erskine (Charlene McKenna). Rose longs to break free from her role in Whitechapel and travel the world.

Despite her husband’s reservations, Reid’s once-happy wife — Emily Reid (Amanda Hale) — is determined to make a new life by helping the fallen women of Whitechapel though she’s still troubled by a terrible family tragedy. Meanwhile, sensationalist newspaperman Fred Best (David Dawson) knows a dark secret about the Reids’ sorrow.

Series Finale:
Episode #TBD
This TV series has not ended yet.
First aired: TBD

What do you think? Do you like the Ripper Street TV series? Do you think it should be cancelled or renewed for another season?

Canceled and renewed TV show

91 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. says

I absolutely love this show and am super disappointed it has ended it’s season so soon. Look forward to the next season. Love the characters and the actors who play them. Hooked me from the first episode. Please hurry BBC America and show us some more episodes and for a longer season!!!!!

2. Kim says

This show is one of the best and most realistic that has appeared in a long time.
    I really feel like I am there in the ripper period of time. Quite frightening.

3. Mila says

I love this show. Looking forward to next season. The acting is great, plots are awesome, one keeps looking forward to the next episode.

4. Karla says

I love this show, the cast, setting everything ( please don’t cancel it ). It is set in a time of history and we can learn so much. How people had to live, etc. Hats off to BBC America. Huge fan of Television from across the pond.

5. Meyer says

Ripper Street not only deserves a second season but also our praise. It’s shame that more people are unaware of its quality. The Ripper series is well written and provides bold plot, which many other shows lack. Furthermore, viewers are exposed to the “Jack the Ripper” era along with the unique perspectives to social, technology and economic dynamics from the close of the 1890’s era.

6. says

Brilliant show! The era is so real to life; raw, not pretentious in any way, it’s what I might imagine that era to be. The depth of each main character and the manner in which the story unfolds each week leaves me wishing, that an hour was longer!!
    Kudos to the all involved in the production and execution of this show.
    I can hardly wait for season two!!!

7. Lori Chapman says

I love this show! It is a unique blend of many familiar genres with an interesting group of three main characters at the core. I especially love Captain Jackson, because he both is and is not a part of the world that he inhabits in the story, he gets all the good comic relief moments, and because there is something swaggeringly awesome about his blend of nonchalant nonsense and nihilism. “It is AMPHETAMINE!” “It will end badly…Jesus, what doesn’t?” He is like a kid, who’s hiding from being an adult, and I kind of identify with that, but I’m less ballsy and cowboy-ish about it. Anyway, really enjoying it!

8. julie says

Just watched the show about the king has come in one scene the inspector had scratches on the wrong side of his face. just a little mistake because I enjoy the show but to me that really stood out glad for a 2nd season

9. Diana says

Someone has put a lot of thought into this series…It gives a wonderful insight on how forensics must has begun, and the cast members are perfectly cast for the characters they portray. I can’t get enough of the show. Love it!

10. Tracy says

I think Ripper Street is a brilliant series and it is so refreshing to see some really good British television for a change! The three main characters are excellent and I hope BBC commission another series.

11. Matt says

A+ a good show, so much to do in it, so I think a few series could be created. It also makes a nice change from all the reality tv tripe, fantasy stuff and cookery shows. Some of which I like but a bit of new series like this, breathes some much needed fresh air into the NBC.