Rita Rocks: Lifetime Sitcom Cancelled, No Season Three

Rita RocksLifetime has decided to cancel their original sitcom, Rita Rocks, after two seasons.

Rita Rocks revolves around an overworked wife and mother who tries to balance the many different aspects of her life, including being in a local rock band. The series stars Nicole Sullivan in the title role with Richard Ruccolo, Tisha Campbell-Martin, Natalie Dreyfuss, Kelly Gould, and Raviv Ullman rounding out the cast.

The show was initially ordered as a companion for reruns of Reba with an eye towards amassing enough episodes to run it five nights a week.

The series debuted in October of 2008 with a 20 episode season. In March 2009, Rita Rocks was renewed for a second season of 20 more installments.

Should Rita Rocks be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

JoAnn Alfano, executive VP for entertainment at Lifetime, said, “Rita Rocks is the first original comedy that Lifetime has launched in 10 years, so you can imagine how delighted we are to welcome it back for a second season. It’s smart, it’s funny, and it appeals to anyone who has ever tried to carve out a little time for herself.”

The second season kicked off in October but apparently wasn’t successful enough for Lifetime. The cable channel has opted not to renew Rita Rocks for a third season. The December 7th episode will end up serving as both the season and series finale.

What do you think? Are you sad to see Rita Rocks go? How would you have liked to see the show end?

Canceled and renewed TV show

133 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Rey says

Is there somewhere we can go to get this show back on the air? I just watched both seasons on netflix and I’m a little pissed there’s no third.

2. TJ says

Nicole Sullivan is one of the funniest women that I know, and this show helped me through a rough patch. It’s really hard for me to become fond of a series, and this one just caught my eye on netflix and I literally watched every episode from start to finish because it made me feel better. It’s an amazing show, and the fact that they didn’t even give it a true series finale is quite honestly just Lifetime’s way of crapping out on a project that they should have seen through. If you aren’t true to your own television series, then you are truly pathetic. I have a lot of admiration to Lifetime, and as an aspiring actor, have always seen it with such good content. I love the movies, and I was especially fond of Golden Girls, since I’m such a huge Betty White fan. I would just really like Lifetime to finish what they started. I want my series finale, and I want one that’s just as good as Rita Rocks is!

3. melissa & isa says

Wow I can’t believe they cancelled this show! Me and my daughter just found it on netflix and LOVED IT! Super funny and I totally would watch Lifetime had I known it was on. Well hope you realise your mistake and bring it back.

4. Jennifer says

My husband and I just discovered this show on Netflix and have watched both complete seasons within about 10 days! We love it! So bummed that there is no season 3 to watch. What a disappointment when an all-around great show like this can’t stay on the air.

5. Rosa says

Why cancel this show!!! This show was hilarious. In stead of cancelling stupid reality shows you cancel a series. I can’t understand lifetime. Bring back the show!!!

6. Jesse says

I just watched Rita Rocks Seasons 1 and 2 on Netflix. What a fun show! I was disappointed to find that there wasn’t a season 3.

7. Danielle says

I watched both seasons on netflix and absolutley loved it and was hoping to see a season 3 this sucks i think people didnt take the time to watch it and give it a chance this show rocks.

8. AdamM says

That really sucks! My wife and I totally loved the show and even set apart time to watch it even though we have a DVR. Whoever made the decision to cancel the show was a moron.

• BARBARA says

that was a great enjoyable show. simple but very sassy. that the time flew bye great acting and funny. its a shame that you didnt give this original show one more season before it was taken off. very sad. those were actors so real that you wonder as it was real life

9. Cajnhd says

Very disappointed. I too just found this show on netflix and would have loved to see a third season. I am a male and I would have watched Lifetime had I known it was on.

10. Jossy says

I am truly sorry to hear that the show was cancelled. My family and I really enjoyed the show. We were looking forward to season 3. Wake up Lifetime, get a clue, you had a winner in Rita Rocks. I live with a house full of men and they loved the show. I can’t get them to watch Lifetime otherwise.

11. izzy says

i just found the show on net flix and i really liked it. in the military you don’t always get to see what is coming out and for ratings that may look like we don’t like the show so we don’t watch but that is not the case. the ratng system is not taking in to consideration of people who never new it was on. i look foward to box seasons so i can catch up on what i wanted to see but didn’t get a chance. also some times u guys don’t know when to put a show. firefly for example, found the show on a box set and thought it was the coolest show and woundered when did i miss this, did they advertise the show and if they did how long. somtimes not enough and you forget that a new show is starting, somtimes to much and you feel like you have seen enough. personaly i would like to see it come back.now with dvr and recorders and the like shows should last longer.

12. Naty says

I can not believe they cancelled this great show, i was looking fordward to see the third season ,Im disappointed!