Rules of Engagement: Cancelled by CBS or Not? [report] UPDATED

Rules of Engagement canceled season sevenSee below for update. Despite the fact that the sitcom has been a winner for CBS in the Thursdays at 8:30pm timeslot, it looks like Rules of Engagement has been cancelled.

An inside source has told us that CBS has decided not to order the back nine episodes for the current sixth season. The cast and crew have two episodes left to shoot and believe that those will be the last episodes of the series.

Our source tells us that calls went out on Friday night to those who work on the show to give them the bad news. Especially given the current ratings, many were understandably shocked and upset as they head into the holiday season.

Starring David Spade, Patrick Warburton, Bianca Kajlich, Megyn Price and Oliver Hudson, Rules of Engagement launched in early 2007 and has been a reliable pinch hitter for CBS for years. It started in the post-Two and a Half Men timeslot but has been moved to a couple different timeslots.

Last May, the series was renewed for a sixth season with the aim of a Saturday night run. Word was that the studio gave CBS a great deal so they’d have additional episodes for the syndication package. When How to Be a Gentleman tanked, the network brought Rules back to Thursdays where it’s doing far better than it did last year — and better than any other sitcom that CBS has had in that coveted slot.

Our source says, “The reality is it’s got to be politics. The network has always had it out for Tom [Hertz, Rules' creator] and the show, which is why it’s weird that they just set up a put pilot with him for next season… It really does seem to be a desperation move on their part to find something that hits it out of the ballpark in that Thurs 8:30 slot. Doubles and triples apparently aren’t good enough for them. They’d rather risk a few more fouls and strike outs than go with a solid player.”

What do you think? Are you a fan of the TV series? Should it get a seventh season?

UPDATE: A network source has told us that Rules has not been cancelled — not yet anyway. Apparently the sitcom was picked up for 18 episodes for season six, to be combined with two leftover episodes from season five. CBS has now cut the episode order down to 13 episodes (or 15 total). (Deadline is now reporting the same thing.) While the door is still open for season seven, we’re told that many involved with the production believe this is truly the end of the show.

Roxanna Warren February 18, 2013 at 4:20 pm

I think you are to hard on this show. Take off some reality garbage. Why must you mess with a good thing. Not trying to loose my cool, really tired of seeing trashy reality shows. What is wrong with good clean fun!! Who is in charge anyway.

Anonymous September 18, 2013 at 7:10 pm

I love this show! Why are they doing this?

Diane and Pat Whalen February 11, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Rules of Engagent is a great show -it has such a great cast – there is some great story lines ahead with the baby coming – you just can’t cancel this series. There are very few shows that both of us like to watch together – but this is one of them.

smc January 21, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Hilarious show… My husband is going to cry like a baby – I think it is his favorite show. Help me understand – if a show is a winner, for the Network, in a given time slot why is it cancelled??? Seems crazy – I must be missing something.

Ron January 16, 2013 at 5:28 pm

me and my family love the show clean and funny

beverly pletsch January 11, 2013 at 7:23 pm

say it isn’t so…..I love this show….

beverly pletsch January 11, 2013 at 7:22 pm

I love the show. I love when Timmy speaks over the head of his tormentor…if CBS lets it go, some other station should pick it up. The writing is clever, the chemistry between the actors are as if they were born to be in this show.

steve January 13, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Best sit com ever. The cast is perfect, and the wrighting is great.. Keep it going!!!

cindy January 7, 2013 at 10:53 am

you had a great show that a lot of people love to watch…I cant believe it is canceled. what about the baby…they need to rethink this one or hopefully another network will pick it up

redheart January 3, 2013 at 3:03 pm

The cast has such chemistry, it’s a shame that politics haa destroyed it.

Anonymous December 31, 2012 at 10:20 pm

What a shame-actually laughed out loud at this one. Bring it back!!!!

cochranj74 December 29, 2012 at 8:48 pm

No way. This is the funniest show I’ve seen in a long time. I hope it’s not cancelled! PLEASE!!!!!!

Hoyt Bonner December 27, 2012 at 1:32 pm

“Rules” is the funniest show on TV. I hope its not cancelled.

Mary Marshall December 24, 2012 at 11:48 am

I don’t understand how the network can cancel such an entertaining tv show. It always makes you laugh and the cast is so great together. I hope some network will pick up. I can’t believe that a network won’t pick up such a talented cast.

Rich Ogden December 11, 2012 at 7:07 pm

I think CBS has been throwing away a lot of good shows. The old Two and a Half men is one. I hope TBS or FX or someone else will pick up the good shows CBS is to stupid to keep. There are lots of other networks to watch. CBS should keep that in mind.

Eleanor Collins December 8, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Rules is the best show to come along for quite a years. It’s one of a very few that I watch on a regular basis. The characters are real and interesting and the situations never seem contrived. It’s pure entertainment from beginning to end.

lisa e edwards December 5, 2012 at 8:49 pm

I LOVE that show. Please somebody, anybody, pick it up!!! TBS how about you???? It’s the television equivalent of comfort food for me, so is Big Bang Theory, the OLD two and a half men reruns. After a tough day it’s nice to sit back be entertained by my “Old Friends”.