Rules of Engagement: David Spade Expects Show to be Cancelled

Rules of Engagement to be cancelledLast season, it looked like Rules of Engagement was being cancelled by CBS when the network decided to order just 13 episodes. Though the network denied the show was coming a close, a source close to the production told us that the cast and crew believed it was the end.

In May, CBS cancelled ¡ROB! and renewed Rules of Engagement for a seventh season at the last minute. It’s expected to return sometime mid-season.

In a recent interview with Reuters, series star David Spade said that he expects there to be just 13 episodes this time around — and that those will be the show’s last.

The actor said that he feels like CBS treats Rules of Engagement like a mistress as they keep the show on the air while they keep searching for a replacement. He joked, “They go out and try to find a new girlfriend and it doesn’t work and they run back and they go: ‘No, no, you’re good, you’re good.’ And it doesn’t work with girls and it seems to work with shows, I guess.”

What do you think? Do you think that Spade is right, that Rules of Engagement will finally be cancelled? Is it time? Will you miss it?

Canceled and renewed TV show

64 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. kathy says

CBS, how stupid can you be. This show is as good as Seinfeld and Friends and could make the same kind of TV history if the “powers that be” would get their heads out of their “a—s” and get their “egos” in check. A winning million dollar lottery ticket has been handed to you and you can’t decide wether or not to cash it in.

2. Mark Potter says

No more 13 weeks and then out the door…how do you expect shows like “Rules” to gain/keep a following, and in doing that, a loyalty to a particular network? CBS has done all right in building a Monday night lineup, but what about the rest of the week? Two and a Half Men is becoming a disaster, and Big Bang is overexposed between CBS and TBS. Series like “Rules”that have been on 5 or 6 years and been moved around constantly are not getting their fair shake. There is a thing called loyalty and so far the networks have a one-way look at things.

3. Dean says

For all of those who thinks its canceled don’t worry i am sure they still got something left imdb says the next episodes are in February only weird part is that it only show the 3rd episode from season 7 called Liz moves in. But looks like me they already shot that ep. I hope this is true cause its the same state as Community and i loved to see both coming back.

4. Jozzy says

I believe it’s true. I love this show, find it very funny but yes I have figured it to be cancelled more than once. The 7th season will allow them to wrap up the Jeff and Audrey baby story letting them end it probably similar to “Friends”. Will be missed but like all good things…

5. Joell says

I just don’t understand why this show is at risk of being canceled at all!!! I absolutely love this show! Gonna be so disappointed when it’s gone!! Please don’t cancel it!!

6. CYNTHIA says

I have recently discovered Rules of Engagement in reruns and now this is my favorite show. It is hilarious and I hope it continues now that I found it.

7. shannon says

im so confused a lot of people are saying its already cancelled. That the last show was the baby shower, but the article is saying it might be cancelled. Whats the real story?

8. shannon says

I cant believe they cancelled this show. They didnt even leave it off with a bang. This shows hilarious…i dont watch a lot of tv but ill watch this show. Im bummed out its cancelled and i love the cast i will miss them.

9. sylvia peralez says

my husband and i love this show we trying looking for it in every station we can.hope thy do bring it back. and you can”t even buy the dvds for the shows. whats up with that…..

10. Alex says

I agree with all above; it’s a great, witty show and I’d love to see more of it. The characters are brilliant (they could stop making that adorable Hudson kid so stupid!) but yes, it’s laugh out loud funny!!

11. Debi H. says

We have always wondered why Rules of Engagement is treated like a last thought? We look forward to seeing it every bit as much as Mike and Molly, and maybe even more! It is right up there with The Big Bang Theory, and better than Two and a Half Men. This is one of the funniest shows we have ever seen…please keep renewing!

12. Rose says

This is the funniest show we have ever seen. We love it! We watch it all the time. Would love new seasons! Please keep them going!!!!

13. jen says

Oh come on now, Rules of Engagement is great, funny with a perfect mix of characters. I can’t believe that there is even a chance this show would be cancelled. Bring it back and give us a break from all the reality shows.