Rules of Engagement: Is the Sitcom Finally Ending?

rules of engagement ending?It’s looked like Rules of Engagement would be cancelled several times over the years but CBS has always ended up bringing it back. This time, it may be that the show doesn’t return by mutual decision.

It was recently reported that David Spade had been signed to star in a new ABC pilot, Bad Management. Last month, Patrick Warburton was set to produce and star in a new sitcom pilot for CBS, Jacked Up.

Typically, these roles would be in second position to their parts in Rules but the five stars’ contracts have all expired. Sony TV would have to renegotiate with the original cast for them to return to their roles and that seems highly unlikely to happen.

Members of the cast and crew have made it no secret that they haven’t appreciated their show being yanked around the schedule and used to fill in when another sitcom failed. Warburton and Spade have both said they expected the show to end this year.

In addition, the show’s ratings have been hitting some all-time lows this season and, a couple months ago, CBS cancelled Partners for hitting similar numbers. That’s hardly incentive for the network to want to negotiate for new deals.

Stranger things have happened but it looks pretty certain that we won’t be seeing an eighth season of Rules of Engagement.

But, what do you think? Is it time for the sitcom to end or would you like to see it continue? Should Sony and CBS make an expensive deal for another season? Would it be okay if only some of the cast returned?

Canceled and renewed TV show

25 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Bill says

CBS messed this show up with all the different time slots season premiers were never normal. FOX SHOULD PICK IT UP.

2. Sue says

We love this show. We are about to have a baby, a marriage…..why, how could you…don’t tell me the ratings are low. If you like the old Two and A Half Men and Mike and Molly, how could fans not support this show. Has to be more to the story…

3. jimc says

I watch reruns of this show every night before dinner. It is the only show that makes me laugh out loud any more. Two Broke Girls was painful to watch and had tasteless dialogue. I realize Patrick would like to branch out into other pursuits, but I really like his role here. David Spade’s character is a little too coarse for me, though he does have a good line now and then. Megyn Price is a gifted actress and fun to watch. Thanks for a great show,

4. Scott says

Hmmm, I can watch the reruns at least 4 times a day. Perhaps I’m wrong but they wouldn’t be playing them that much if people weren’t watching. So canceling simply makes no sense whatsoever. I look forward to watching the new episodes every week and find it to be one of the funniest shows on. Last weeks episode with Timmy’s parents was hilarious!

5. bob says

rules of engagement great show , one of the best comical on tv. can’t believe your going to can this, and keep under cover boss

6. Lori says

We love this show especially these last 2 seasons! Such a great cast and cannot believe how they’ve been bounced around by CBS. Really Broke Girls? Come on pure crap! Keep this show going.

7. Leigh Ann von Hoelle says

It’s a shame that the station keeps moving this show around. I think they never gave it a chance from the start – we love this show and watch it weekly, or DVR it for the weekend. I know the reruns already play on another channel, which shows that it’s a good show. KEEP IT ON!

8. Bethany says

I have loved this show no matter what night and timeslot it was given. The reason it is seeing such slumping ratings is most likely that the show has been bounced around so much nobody believes that it is actually going to air when it says it is. People have come to believe that no matter if the show is advertised 15 minutes before it is going to “air”, it might not actually air. Pair this with such a strange season opener date and you have a problem getting the viewers back. I will watch this show, and every episode that ever airs for as long as I can. (Now I can watch the reruns as well, which given time may spark people tuning in more to the new shows if given the chance.) I can only hope that someone grows a few more brain cells and quits playing this this fantastic show, so more people can enjoy it, and feel secure that it will be there when it says it will be.

9. Tim says

Great show — especially the fifth and sixth season, especially the episodes entitled “Baked,” “Singing and Dancing,” “Shy Dial,” “Cheating” and “Baby Talk.” My only complaint with this season would be BRING BACK TUG AND BARRY.

10. Mike says

Great show dumbasses never faced it a regular time slot kept bouncing it around surprised it lasted as long as it did.