Running Wilde: FOX Sitcom Cancelled; No Season Two

Running WildeThough FOX didn’t officially announce the cancellation of Running Wilde, the writing has certainly been on the wall for quite some time. It’s now been cancelled.

The freshman sitcom, which stars TV veterans Will Arnett and Keri Russell, debuted back on September 21st with a mediocre 2.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 5.59 million viewers. The following week, the demo rating fell by 21% and the next few weeks saw it hit a season low — a truly horrible 1.1 rating with just 2.29 million viewers. Interestingly, viewership started to build after that but it wasn’t enough. The eight episodes that aired averaged just a 1.6 in the demo and 3.72 million viewers.

Understandably, FOX opted not to order any additional episodes of Running Wilde, keeping the season order at 13 installments. FOX subsequently pulled the show for November sweeps. The network has occasionally been running repeats on Sunday nights as well as Saturdays at midnight.

Today, at the TCA press tour, FOX president Kevin Reilly confirmed that Running Wilde will not be coming back. He took some of the blame for the show’s lack of success but acknowledged that the sitcom started off slow. He said, “Look, one of the early lessons you learn is to bet on the talent. [The series] was slow to find itself. I was involved. I was involved probably more than I wanted to be. Mitch didn’t resent it. It struggled to find its legs. It found them probably too little too late.”

What do you think? Was Running Wilde worth watching? Why do you think it didn’t catch on?

Catie McLaughlin January 13, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I also just watched the series on Netflix, and I’m a little bummed it won’t be coming back. I didn’t know the show existed or was on Fox until last week. I thought it was hilarious, so I decided to look up when the next season would start and was disappointed to find this website. What a cliff hanger to end on…

Kathy January 13, 2012 at 6:21 am

Just finished watching on Netflix, couldn’t wait to watch next episode, just found out it was cancelled. Much better show than all the stupid reality shows. Please bring it back, it made me laugh.

Rich January 12, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Loved it. Arrested development team does romantic comedy. Keri and daughter were great, as was supporting cast. Will expectedly awesome!

Kathy S January 3, 2012 at 12:42 am

I too fell in love with this show after discovering it on Netflix. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted! Yes, would have been nice to see where this was all going.

Bunny December 27, 2011 at 8:30 pm

I agree compleatley with this guy………….

Joseph King November 17, 2011 at 5:23 pm

i just watched the whole series on netflix and would just like to say i thought it was brilliant i couldn’t stop laughing its to bad there wont be a second season but as with most shows that are good they get canceled because there isn’t enough viewers. Most of the reason there isn’t enough viewers for the really great shows though is due to the fact that television producers give up to soon its all about the profits these days. Since i got my netflix account i have watch 4 whole series that i really loved but got canceled in there first season. Maybe if the television companies didn’t wait so long to make tv show streamable and made them for readily available online so people didnt miss episodes because they dont have a dvr they have more viewers ya know just because some people dont have to the time to sit down and watch something when it comes on doesn’t mean they didnt wanna see. What ends up happening is they air the show once then they show the next episode a person misses that episode and feels lost in the story line and loses interest. Its happened to me i know more then once. I really hope the idiot tv producers who canceled great shows like Running Wilde, Kyle XY, The Gate, The Nine lives of Chloe King and many other great shows that didnt make it past the first season reads this comment so they know just how much of an F’in moron i think they are…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

This is so unfair! Alot of people dont have cable anymore (like me) and the only way to view shows like this one is waiting for it on Netflix! They should make shows for the internet or wait a year or three to gain an audience!!! This was an amazing show!!! WTF!!!!!

Please bring it back, please!!!!! Please!!! Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kelii December 27, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Im so sad!!! I loved this show!!!! Why do all these amazing shows keep getting canceled!! My name is Earl, Jericho, Family Guy(at one point), exedra!!!! I loved this show! It was truly a fun clean show i could watch with my little ones but its canceled now!!! Please bring it back!!! Please!!!!

Anonymous December 5, 2011 at 2:09 pm

There aren’t many good shows on these days. It’s sad one of the good ones got cancelled.

Brooke December 4, 2011 at 11:15 pm

I thought this show was hilarious and it is now one of my favorites! So sad that we didn’t et to see them actually get to be together. It had me laughing out loud in every episode!

Joseph King November 17, 2011 at 5:23 pm

i just watched the whole series on netflix and would just like to say i thought it was brilliant i couldn’t stop laughing its to bad there wont be a second season but as with most shows that are good they get canceled because there isn’t enough viewers. Most of the reason there isn’t enough viewers for the really great shows though is due to the fact that television producers give up to soon its all about the profits these days. Since i got my netflix account i have watch 4 whole series that i really loved but got canceled in there first season. Maybe if the television companies didn’t wait so long to make tv show streamable and made them for readily available online so people didnt miss episodes because they dont have a dvr they have more viewers ya know just because some people dont have to the time to sit down and watch something when it comes on doesn’t mean they didnt wanna see. What ends up happening is they air the show once then they show the next episode a person misses that episode and feels lost in the story line and loses interest. Its happened to me i know more then once. I really hope the idiot tv producers who canceled great shows like Running Wilde, Kyle XY, The Gate, The Nine lives of Chloe King and many other great shows that didnt make it past the first season reads this comment so they know just how much of an F’in moron i think they are.

M November 15, 2011 at 11:04 am

Such a funny show!!!! Why oh why did it get cancelled????

Mitch McMithcherson November 1, 2011 at 5:00 am

Awesome show!!!! after the first episode it gets really funny, i figure it was cancelled due to lack of advertising as i never knew about it when it was on TV. I feel this show did not deserve low ratings and should be brought back….because i want to watch more of it.

ive October 26, 2011 at 2:20 am

great show, so of course it had to be canceled, seems like any show I actually like is cancelled. loved arrested development…. got cancelled. seriously, do I have an unorthodox scenic of humor? or is 99% of what’s on tv pure crap kept to feed the feeble minded douche bags out there who watch Jersey Shore religiously.

I fear that high standards of living & techology are interfering with natural selection. the dumb and dimwitted are not dying off as they should, rather they are able to breed in masses and drastically ofset the level of intelligence of our species. sadly the only ones that suffer are the few here who share my sadness that this show was cancelled.

Mauricio October 25, 2011 at 12:42 am

I saw a few episodes when it aired but unfortunately couldn’t always catch it because of work…i had no idea the show was cancelled..i just thought a 2nd season was in the making..then i finally saw the entire series on Netflix and i fell in love with the show…it had that Arrested Development kind of humor but it was still different..i am kinda sad the show didn’t continue..hopefully some luck comes down and people start demanding the series backinstead of all these crap shows like “American Idol” and “Dancing with the Stars”…

Marky Mark October 22, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Oh why!!!
I loved this show, why do we have such stupid shows running for ever on TV and good ones get cancelled after one season!

James October 19, 2011 at 9:13 pm

I stumbled on this show on netflix like many others.
I found the show to be a charming mix of catty humor and neo-political commentary.
I also cried a little bit inside to find that the series was cut short.
That being said, it got really low observer recognition.
PEOPLE ARE MISSING OUT! =O
They need more Running Wilde in their lives!! :’-(
As do I!

Anonymous December 8, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Guess their weren’t enough fart jokes or racial cracks or whatever else crap that seems to stay on air forFREAKINever. Smart humor? God forbid!!!