Salem: Season Two on WGN America

Salem TV show on WGN: season twoWGN America has renewed Salem, their first original scripted series, for a second season. The 13 episodes will be produced later this year and will then debut in 2015.

Here are the details:

WGN AMERICA’S SPELLBINDING DRAMA “SALEM” RENEWED FOR SECOND SEASON

— Ten All-New Episodes Remain This Season, Sundays at 10:00 PM ET —

LOS ANGELES (May 5, 2014) – WGN America has picked up a second season of its first original, scripted drama “Salem,” it was announced today by Matt Cherniss, President and General Manager, WGN America and Tribune Studios. “Salem,” which is being renewed three episodes into its first season, is produced by Fox 21 and co-created and written by Brannon Braga and Adam Simon, who also serve as executive producers with Jeff Kwatinetz and Josh Barry of Prospect Park and David Von Ancken. The 13-episode second season will begin production later this year for a 2015 debut.

Starring Janet Montgomery, Shane West, Seth Gabel, Xander Berkeley, Ashley Madekwe, Tamzin Merchant, Elise Eberle and Iddo Goldberg, “Salem” continues for ten episodes, airing Sundays at 10 p.m. ET / 9 p.m. CT.

“At WGN America, we are committed to delivering compelling, brand-defining programming rich with fascinating characters and ‘Salem’ has done just that,” said Cherniss. “Brannon Braga, Adam Simon, the talented cast and our great partners at Fox 21 have opened up an intriguing world that has captivated viewers. We look forward to bringing more great storytelling, scares and surprises to viewers as the saga unfolds.”

“I could not be more thrilled or more proud of our cast, writers and crew who made this show come alive,” said Braga. “The fans have been fantastic and we plan to continue keeping them on the edge of their seats.”

“Salem’s” debut premiered with more than 3.4 million Total Viewers and 1.5 million Adults 18-49 in time-shifted Live + 7 viewing for its premiere night on April 20. Through its first two telecasts in Live + 3 viewing, “Salem” has averaged nearly 1.7 million Total Viewers and 806,000 among Adults 18-49, a +776% increase over the network’s Adults 18-49 season-to-date average on Sundays at 10 p.m. ET.

“Salem” boldly re-imagines the infamous witch trials in the 17th century Massachusetts town. The storyline follows Captain John Alden (West) returning from war to his hometown of Salem where he finds it in the grip of a witch panic. Crushed that his lost love, Mary Sibley (Montgomery), is now married to his old nemesis, John is unaware she is also secretly the ruling witch of Salem, and her witches are running the witch trials.

In Sunday’s fourth episode, “Survivors,” an old adversary of Alden’s arrives in Salem with secrets that could destroy him.

[Source: Nielsen Media Research]

# # #

WGN America

WGN America, the flagship network of Tribune Broadcasting Company, is nationally distributed in 72 million homes via cable, satellite and telco, with entertainment programming including the original, scripted series “Salem,” premiering April 20, 2014, “Manhattan,” premiering in July 2014 and “Ten Commandments,” along with first-run syndicated series, blockbuster movies and live sports. Through Tribune Studios, the creative development arm of Tribune Company, original content is produced for WGN America and Tribune local stations nationwide.

What do you think? Have you been watching Salem? Are you glad that it’s been renewed for a second season?

tonya November 20, 2014 at 5:39 pm

loved it! cant wait for 2!

sheila moore November 18, 2014 at 4:32 pm

Loved this show!! Will there be a season 3?

Pat November 15, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Has anyone here seen Once Upon a Time?

Amy November 19, 2014 at 9:50 am

Just finished on Netflix. I now need to find out if I get WGN on my cable company. I wish the producers would have a half season done this is bound to be a long running hit with writting like this. I actually thought maybe they didn’t have enough faith in themselves because they killed so many great characters. Then sent others away. Of course with witches and Hollywood one can come back with little explination. I was sad to see the great Stephen Lang go…or did he? He touched brimfire so his corpse was devoured by dogs how will darkness use him now no one but his son knew he is gone? Will Mary make him do ungodly bidding from beyond?

Pat November 15, 2014 at 4:36 pm

So when is the 2nd one coming out exactly.

Pat November 15, 2014 at 4:35 pm

I started watching this Season a little to early. Took me 2 days to watch the first season. Just finished today. Now I’m stuck like chuck waiting for season 2. That’s the story of my life.

Patrick November 14, 2014 at 2:15 pm

Today I just finished watching the whole season 1 on Netflix…I needed to watch something to replace the first season of American Horror Story. I’m happy that they are renewing it for a new season. It’s captivating with interesting twists and turns that intrigue one’s imagination. I find it quite fascinating and evocative! Kudos to the writers and bravo to the cast of actors! I am looking forward to watching season two on Netflix!

Lisa November 18, 2014 at 1:22 pm

I just finished season 1. Amazing show. Having grown up in Mass my whole life, I am hooked. Can’t wait for season 2 of this riveting show.

joanne November 10, 2014 at 8:42 pm

YES! My husband and I loved season 1. We were just talking about when season 2’s premiere would be debuting. We are so happy there will be a season 2. Hopefully a season 3! We never missed one episode and looked forward to each episode every week. Very creative story line, great writers, great cast! We can’t wait! Thanks for not canceling this show. Too many series are canceled without the audiences knowledge. Again THANKS for not letting your fans down!!

Noreen November 10, 2014 at 12:09 pm

I must confess I did not watch the series on a weekly basis. However I watched all of the episodes on Netflix. I love it and I’m glad the series will be returning. It as great! Loved all the characters and how they each evolved during Season One. Can’t wait for future developments in Season Two

shelly November 7, 2014 at 9:19 am

Can’t wait for season 2!

Otto November 6, 2014 at 12:37 am

Great season one on the history of Salem. Can’t wait tell sea on 2. Netflix for me and I’ll wait. Watch season one now!

d November 4, 2014 at 12:25 pm

Excellent special effects and story line. It is a beast of a show

James November 3, 2014 at 2:52 am

I love the show it’s awesome! Great cast great storyline. And the effects are very impressive. Can’t wait to see more episodes and hopefully many more seasons.p.s just an idea but ever thought of making a show about Transylvania? Or maybe even Dr.Jeckel and Mr.Hyde

Don Heflin November 2, 2014 at 5:03 pm

Will SALEM return? I have enjoyed it very much. The end episode was great and left me wondering….what next?

marietta tangredi November 3, 2014 at 1:49 am

So glad it is renewed. Love the show.

cookie October 27, 2014 at 11:38 am

Love this show so glad it is renewed.