Saving Grace: Holly Hunter TV Show Ending, No Season Five

Saving GraceTNT has announced that their Holly Hunter drama is coming to an end. Interestingly, it wasn’t exactly the network’s decision. But, regardless of who’s responsible, the fans will have to wait quite awhile to see the story wrap up.

Saving Grace focuses on a police detective, Grace Hanadarko (Holly Humter), wo’s great at her job but finds her personal life far more challenging. The series also features Leon Rippy, Kenny Johnson, Bailey Chase, Laura San Giacomo, Gregory Cruz, Lorraine Toussaint, Dylan Minnette, Bokeem Woodbine, Mark L. Taylor, and Tom Irwin.

The show debuted in July 2007 and attracted 6.4 million viewers, making it the highest-rated cable premiere so far that year.

Season two’s debut attracted 5.2 million and, this past June, season three’s return drew just 3.5 million. TNT remained very positive about the series, likely because it consistently rates first with adults 25-54.

Would you like to see Grace continue?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Last season, the network ordered a second season of 15 episodes. The first nine aired during the Summer of 2008 and the other six began running last March. TNT ordered the same number for season three and the first grouping finishes its summer cycle this Tuesday.

According to THR, TNT wanted to pick the series up for a fourth season but Fox TV Studios actually declined the offer. The drama is an expensive one to produce and there’s apparently not enough profit in the cable deal for the studio to continue.

A spokesperson for Fox told Variety, “In today’s rapidly changing television world, shows need to drive revenue off too many sources in order to be profitable for all the partners. Unfortunately, the economics of the series mandated stronger international and ancillary revenue than the show was able to generate. We thought an appropriate ending after three extremely successful seasons was the best outcome for all parties involved.”

Since the series has several ongoing storylines, Fox and TNT agreed to produce three additional episodes to wrap up any loose ends. The network will combine them with the remaining installments from this season and hold them until next Summer. So, fans will get some closure to the series but they’ll have to wait a few extra months to get it.

Michael Wright, TNT’s Executive VP head of programming, is sorry to see the show end. In a statement, he said, “The show’s continued success is thanks to the amazing talents of Holly Hunter and [series creator] Nancy Miller, along with a tremendous ensemble cast and a highly skilled production team. They have taken us on a unique journey, and we look forward to seeing where it will ultimately lead.”

What do you think? Are you ready t say goodbye to Grace Hanadarko? Would you like to see the cast return, perhaps in TV movies?

Roger June 7, 2012 at 6:40 pm

I miss Grace! Possibly the finest show on tv in the last decade. Real people, real situations, real drama.

Pat George April 17, 2012 at 7:52 pm

I happened to see a few episodes on TNT & loved Saving Grace & thought maybe, just maybe, hubby would like it too, so ordered all the episodes from Netflick. He was hooked immediately. I try to tell people about it & it gets so lost in the translation. If it were still on I know that we’d be talking about it over the water cooler the next day. Just the theology from Earl is soo worth discussing. I hate Fox Studios for dropping such a thought provoking series that was at once fun, sad & thrilling & never, ever predicable. BRING IT BACK! What great writers and actors. I miss them like my best friends. Hated the ending.

Carol S. March 23, 2012 at 12:01 am

I agree with all of you! I have been praying that there is someone who will pick up “SAVING GRACE” right from where idiots at TNT left off. In my opinion, this can be picked right from the final episode, they never actually showed “GRACE” coming out!!! So why not bring it back? This show had “meaning” and OMG: what a perfect cast! I have signed petitions, “BOYCOTTED TNT”, even tried contacting producers, and it has gotten me nowhere, but frustrated cuz it seems like nobody really cared! Just look at the crap they have on today! If anyone of you have any ideas on what to do next or who to contact, PLEASE SPEAK UP! I’m listening! As are the other “Saving Grace Fans” here. Thank you! I MISS YOU “SAVING GRACE” AND WE NEED YOU BACK!

Samantha March 1, 2012 at 11:11 pm

i miss this Show Soooooo soooooo bad i could cry
i loved watching this Show no matter what And
im not into tv very much but once i started
watching grace and retta omg i miss seeing her
i was Soo hooked from begginning to end You
fucked with alot of minds and souls Ending
ghis show just like that
saving grace deserves a thousand times more
credit then it actually Got Not fair It destroyed meee
please save us n Bring the Show back i beg of you!!!!!

Shels February 19, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Please bring back Grace and the rest of the gang!

barb January 27, 2012 at 6:57 am

Watched all of saving grace on netflix.. my god I love this show.. grace was in my dreams all last night.. I hate that you blew her to kingdom come.. left me crying and emotional .. to bad ya didnt keep this one on the air.. hate hate hate all these stupid reality shows.. won’t name them.. Grace was the best tv series i have seen in years.. ya let a good one get away.

Shels February 19, 2012 at 11:31 pm

Me too!

Felisha January 26, 2012 at 5:26 pm

I cried so hard when seeing the last episode of season 4 and am hoping they will bring back Saving Grace. In a corprate standing I could understand stopping a show that really didnt have many viewers. But I know that there are shows on TNT that have less viewers and are still up and running. TNT could still make a profit.

Michael Chanler January 17, 2012 at 10:49 pm

I have to say I saw the tv series advertise yrs ago. I recently sit down and watched all 46 episodes on Netflix and I have to say I was impressed with the structure,emotion,and creativied of this series. Wow but why end it now was my thoughts, Why cant Grace be the angel along with Earl to help others now. This was one of the best series Ive watched in years. Bring it back.

Barbara D. October 16, 2011 at 8:38 pm

You put on stupid soap operas for years and years but when a great show like Saving Grace comes on, you give it 3 years? Why? I could watch it for years. Wonderful script, actors and everything was perfect. Wish you could bring it back.

Mary S. October 12, 2011 at 4:36 pm

I am still in shock that they cancelled a really great show like Saving Grace and replaced it with a courtroom version of Animal House!!

It is an insult to intelligent viewers and reveals the grade school mentality of the decision makers at Fox TV Studios – just another way that greedy billionaires are sticking it to the rest of us.

tiffany October 11, 2011 at 4:46 pm

i would have to say that saving grace was one of the top 2 shows i have ever seen in my life and it is a great shame that it will not continue especially with all the loose ends. i could watch this show for years to come even though i only came upon it recently.i have watched 46 episodes in three days.i love it.bring it back,please.

Linda Adair March 15, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Me too. This was so excellent a show. It is sad it did not end properly, or end at all. It could have gone on for as long as Desperate Housewives, which was 1/2 as good , and was damn good.

julie September 12, 2011 at 9:42 am

oh, by the way TNT I will never watch anything u air again in my entire life….
For such a screw up and bad choices with Saving Grace..
TNT can piss off…

Anonymous September 22, 2011 at 10:12 pm

What about “According to THR, TNT wanted to pick the series up for a fourth season but Fox TV Studios actually declined the offer” did you not understand? Fox, not TNT, was the network that yanked it.
JD

julie September 12, 2011 at 9:27 am

Saving Grace is a great show that u money hungry jerks will never understand..
I lost all hope and faith in everything and just watch Saving grace entire 3 seasons for the first time and slowly started to feel different, then the big screw u like everything in life, u money hungry asses take it off the air and end a really great show.
in a lot of ways I could relate to the character of grace.
but sadly as always things that help anyone are taken away and usually by capitalist pigs.

Bob August 29, 2011 at 7:54 am

I’d pay $5 bucks a week to watch this one….

Linda Adair March 15, 2012 at 6:15 pm

So would I! I loved this series, and it ended with Grace and the other Angel jumping off a building and everyone seeing the survive. You have this better than them jumping off a building and everyone marveling how they lived…..

Sam Lynn August 18, 2011 at 1:30 pm

How much more begging do we have to do, or maybe the question should be what do you want us to do in order for you to bring Saving Grace back to us. To me this program some how gave me a feeling of hope, confort, and increase in faith. Yes I realize it is a story one that shows in the end Gods will prevails, liken to the story in the Bible. Thank you