Saving Hope: Episode Plans Cancelled by NBC

Saving Hope TV seriesThe peacock network is dropping their medical drama Saving Hope from the schedule. While the TV series hasn’t been officially cancelled by NBC, the writing is certainly on the wall.

Saving Hope revolves around the staff of a major hospital. The charismatic Chief of Surgery (Michael Shanks) suffers a massive brain hemorrhage on his wedding day and ends up in a coma. This leaves the facility in chaos and his fiance and fellow surgeon (Erica Durance) in a state of shock. It doesn’t help matters that her former boyfriend (Daniel Gillies) — also a brilliant surgeon — has arrived to work at the same facility. Others in the cast include Michelle Nolden, K. C. Collins, Kristopher Turner, Julia Taylor Ross, Ben Ayres, Huse Madhavji, Salvatore Antonio, and Glenda Braganza.

The TV show has been struggling in the ratings from the start and back in July hit a series low of a 0.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic with just 2.20 million viewers. Still, it was scripted programming that NBC was licensing from Canada so it wasn’t costing them much.

The plan was to air the final two episodes of the season on successive Saturdays — first on September 1st and 8th, then on the 8th and 15th. Now, according to TV Line, the 12th and 13th installments will be released online instead.

While there’s essentially no chance of Saving Hope returning to NBC, the TV series has already been renewed for a second season by CTV in Canada.

Will US viewers be able to watch the second season? Well, Saving Hope could be released on DVD at some point and there’s also a chance that a cable channel could pick up the show. Ion has acquired the rights to air episodes of fellow Canadian exports The Listener and Flashpoint — two shows that have aired on NBC and CBS respectively.

What do you think? Are you sorry that NBC is dropping Saving Hope? Would buy a DVD set or follow it to a cable channel?

Anonymous September 18, 2014 at 8:46 pm

I can’t believe nbc would do such a thing, what the ” f …!” Greed is a wonderful thing when you have ful control.& don’t care what the veiwer’s really think!

Johnb664 May 5, 2014 at 6:59 pm

It’s truly a great and useful piece of information. I’m satisfied that you shared this helpful information with us. Please stay us informed like this. Thank you for sharing. bbdkgeddkccf

billib October 22, 2013 at 10:40 am

one can only hope…I liked the show, hope it airs in the states, or comes out on dvd. why can’t good shows, that aren’t just sex or murder, survive. sad.

jeff October 6, 2013 at 3:33 am

It is sickening they cancel shows we like and keep shows i would not watch with someone else eyes.

CSW August 14, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Is another US network ever going to pick up Saving Hope? IMO, NBC screwed up when they cancelled the show. There are a lot of us US viewers who really love the show.

Also, US viewers can’t even watch SH online because ctv.ca blocks it outside of Canada.

When is season 2 coming out on DVD? That seems to be my only option. Boo!

Raeleen August 5, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Saving hope was such a great program to watch! It was thoughtful, meaningful, wholesome. It dealt with the possibility of an after life. Many people don’t like hearing about that. If a show isn’t a reality show , has violence, or has sex, well it doesn’t make it. That is truly a shame – it worries me what my grandchildren will be watching in 10 or 15 years!!!!!

Abby Ortiz July 2, 2013 at 2:06 am

This was one of my favorite shows. I enjoyed if and found it very interesting. So I showed my mom because we hardly ever spend time together. And this show made us talk alot. but then we both discovered that the show had cancelled on NBC. Now things are hardly the same. I honestly wish it didn’t have to cancel and would come back to where it left off. Now I wonder what happens and have to wait patiently to buy it on DVD. Sucks to suck.

Robbie June 24, 2013 at 9:49 pm

I think Saving hope is a good clean show. I was really looking forward to it coming back, only to discover NBC will not air it. too bad. I guess I will buy on dvd. If I can find it..

Gary Gilliand June 15, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Saving Hope is not just another doctor show. It has great actors and actresses and keeps the viewer on edge during the intensive scenes. The main character Charlie, played by Michael Shanks, is so loveable, you want to have him as your friend and doctor. One of the villians Charlies ex wife, is someone you just want to drop off a cliff. That’s what makes this show great. A lovable main character, a terrible, unapologetic villian, and a team of other actors and actresses that keep the show alive.