Saving Hope: Episode Plans Cancelled by NBC

Saving Hope TV seriesThe peacock network is dropping their medical drama Saving Hope from the schedule. While the TV series hasn’t been officially cancelled by NBC, the writing is certainly on the wall.

Saving Hope revolves around the staff of a major hospital. The charismatic Chief of Surgery (Michael Shanks) suffers a massive brain hemorrhage on his wedding day and ends up in a coma. This leaves the facility in chaos and his fiance and fellow surgeon (Erica Durance) in a state of shock. It doesn’t help matters that her former boyfriend (Daniel Gillies) — also a brilliant surgeon — has arrived to work at the same facility. Others in the cast include Michelle Nolden, K. C. Collins, Kristopher Turner, Julia Taylor Ross, Ben Ayres, Huse Madhavji, Salvatore Antonio, and Glenda Braganza.

The TV show has been struggling in the ratings from the start and back in July hit a series low of a 0.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic with just 2.20 million viewers. Still, it was scripted programming that NBC was licensing from Canada so it wasn’t costing them much.

The plan was to air the final two episodes of the season on successive Saturdays — first on September 1st and 8th, then on the 8th and 15th. Now, according to TV Line, the 12th and 13th installments will be released online instead.

While there’s essentially no chance of Saving Hope returning to NBC, the TV series has already been renewed for a second season by CTV in Canada.

Will US viewers be able to watch the second season? Well, Saving Hope could be released on DVD at some point and there’s also a chance that a cable channel could pick up the show. Ion has acquired the rights to air episodes of fellow Canadian exports The Listener and Flashpoint — two shows that have aired on NBC and CBS respectively.

What do you think? Are you sorry that NBC is dropping Saving Hope? Would buy a DVD set or follow it to a cable channel?

Canceled and renewed TV show

218 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Robin Towne says

Sorry to see this show is being cancelled. I thought it was one of the better hospital shows. Maybe Netflix will pick up the DVDs? Cable is fine (Ion is good), but won’t pay for HBO or any of those types of channels. The Canadian shows have just a nice “feel” to them, not edgy like the Hollywood crap. I will miss this one too (Flashpoint was another fav).

2. Barb Dillard says

Terrible, terrible publicity for this show. I read the write up before the show started & thr i couldn’t find it! No information on day or time and then the little information that was tvere stopped! I really Hope that the network either changes their minds or another more positively progressive thinking network (CW or SyFy?) picks up the show. I would definitely go to cable for it as well. They know how to promote their series.

3. Frank says

Mediocre and annoying in every way. The medicine is bad, the flashing blue streaks that are supposed to conjure up a spirit presence is an annoyance, and the writing is pre high school. The actors suffer miserably with such poor scripting and direction. RIP

4. Holding Out Hope says

I love Saving Hope. I had no idea that there was talk of canceling it until now. I’m very, very disappointed. I so dislike it when a series I like is canceled and I have no resolution, no ending. It’s like the time I invested watching it (even though I thoroughly enjoyed it) was a waste. So thanks, network execs.

5. says

im so ticked off that these networds cancel shows without even giving us an ending so I guess we’ll have to make our own. I really loved this show, but it seems it doesnt matter what we like, just keep putting on all the smut and homo shows then maybe someday we’ll all quit watching everything.

6. Judy says

I am very disappointed in this show being canceled, I really enjoyed it and looked forward to each episode. Is there something we can do to bring is back???

7. M. Light says

Saving Hope was much better than most hospital shows and was
    very well done. Religiously watched every episode. Really liked the story line

8. anna says

enjoyed the show. i found it on hulu- poor publicity otherwise, I would have happily watched it on the tube. will buy second season. nbc missed the boat.

9. Pat says

Very disappointed with NBC!! I watch very few nightime tv shows – but this was one of my favorites. NBC definately needs to reorg ! Please bring back Saving Hope!

10. Tony says

SAVING HOPE is one of the most emotive, engaging series in a long time — NBC’s “Public-be-damned” attitude is precisely why cable tv is blowing the networks out of the water. I’m with Donna, Annette, and Sara — this show should be renewed!

11. Donna says

I think it sucks that the show was cancelled with only two episodes left so all the loyal watchers of the show are left hanging to see if he wakes up or not after all that time it’s not cool, they did the same thing with the show vanished that starred gale Harold