Saving Hope: Episode Plans Cancelled by NBC

Saving Hope TV seriesThe peacock network is dropping their medical drama Saving Hope from the schedule. While the TV series hasn’t been officially cancelled by NBC, the writing is certainly on the wall.

Saving Hope revolves around the staff of a major hospital. The charismatic Chief of Surgery (Michael Shanks) suffers a massive brain hemorrhage on his wedding day and ends up in a coma. This leaves the facility in chaos and his fiance and fellow surgeon (Erica Durance) in a state of shock. It doesn’t help matters that her former boyfriend (Daniel Gillies) — also a brilliant surgeon — has arrived to work at the same facility. Others in the cast include Michelle Nolden, K. C. Collins, Kristopher Turner, Julia Taylor Ross, Ben Ayres, Huse Madhavji, Salvatore Antonio, and Glenda Braganza.

The TV show has been struggling in the ratings from the start and back in July hit a series low of a 0.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic with just 2.20 million viewers. Still, it was scripted programming that NBC was licensing from Canada so it wasn’t costing them much.

The plan was to air the final two episodes of the season on successive Saturdays — first on September 1st and 8th, then on the 8th and 15th. Now, according to TV Line, the 12th and 13th installments will be released online instead.

While there’s essentially no chance of Saving Hope returning to NBC, the TV series has already been renewed for a second season by CTV in Canada.

Will US viewers be able to watch the second season? Well, Saving Hope could be released on DVD at some point and there’s also a chance that a cable channel could pick up the show. Ion has acquired the rights to air episodes of fellow Canadian exports The Listener and Flashpoint — two shows that have aired on NBC and CBS respectively.

What do you think? Are you sorry that NBC is dropping Saving Hope? Would buy a DVD set or follow it to a cable channel?

Canceled and renewed TV show

218 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Karyn Guilbaud says

I am so dissapointed, I love that show,NBC should give it a chance, the actors are great, the show is different and smart, you actually like the cast!

2. Tammy Brown says

I love Saving Hope. Why would they cancel this show, its awesome….Saving Hope is one of my favorite shows on t.v. Why do they always cancel the good ones??? NBC is making a big mistake.

3. Diana says

no wonder this show hasn’t made it. NBC never plugged it, instead spent most of its ads for new shows only on what was coming for the fall, not what was showing during the summer. If I had not tracked it down on Michael Shanks’ web site, I’d never have found it as I abhor all the “reality” shows and so rarely watch the regular tv channels. I guess I’ll have to find it on some version of CTV.
    Yes, I’ll buy the DVD!

4. Cheryl says

I never watch TV and I was traveling and ran across this show in August and LOVED it Since then I have caught up on the episodes online and it is the best thing on TV. NBC is crazy – they show tons of JUNK on TV and when they finally have something with some intelligence they dump it before they give it a chance. What a shame

5. leanne says

not happy with NBC’s plan. I have watched from the begining and was looking forward to the two remaining episodes to air. Don’t really want to watch repeats of AGT and The Voice. I really don’t watch much on NBC and now I have another reason not to. What harm would it do to let the shows air ,why more repeats????????? I will follow this show on what ever medium is it presented. This is why NBC is losing viewers.

6. fredi meyer says

i gave this show every chance, but it deserves to be buried. everything is ripped off from Grey’s Anatomy. after two shows the lack of pace, the lack of acting ability and the very idea of ghost doctor become sooooo boring. the exuberance erica showed on Smallville is gone, and the serious side just does not interest, as viewers’ numbers attest. i did not know it was canadian, but it figures

7. Jackie says

I am very mad at NBC for dropping Saving Hope it was the best show that NBC had. I watched every episode. NBC PLEASE bring it back or ION PLEASE pick it up. You picked up Flashpoint which my son and I watch all the time.

8. Lucy says

Disappointed!! Saving Hope is my favorite show. It’s rare to find anything with depth on television. Will I be able to watch the final episodes on Huluplus?

9. Krislyn says

I am very upset after reading this and think nbc should just shut down. I really like this show and ur connstantlly aiiring other shows in its place no wonder the ratings are down..if this show dont air thursday ill never watch nbc shows again..

10. alverine calaman says

I would definatly watch saving hope where ever it goes. now I know why I stopped watching network channels they don’t give a damn about the viewers, they could have at the very least showed the last two episodes

11. Lanie Fields says

Have to agree with many things said here. I too cannot remember the last show I followed on NBC. Certainly cannot understand why they won’t air two shows already in the can. YES I will follow the second season wherever, and however it is offered. God forbid Nbc have a narrow profit margin. Especially when it sounds like it didn’t cost them much in the first place. Its this kind of stuff that has lost them viewer loyalty.