Saving Hope: Episode Plans Cancelled by NBC

Saving Hope TV seriesThe peacock network is dropping their medical drama Saving Hope from the schedule. While the TV series hasn’t been officially cancelled by NBC, the writing is certainly on the wall.

Saving Hope revolves around the staff of a major hospital. The charismatic Chief of Surgery (Michael Shanks) suffers a massive brain hemorrhage on his wedding day and ends up in a coma. This leaves the facility in chaos and his fiance and fellow surgeon (Erica Durance) in a state of shock. It doesn’t help matters that her former boyfriend (Daniel Gillies) — also a brilliant surgeon — has arrived to work at the same facility. Others in the cast include Michelle Nolden, K. C. Collins, Kristopher Turner, Julia Taylor Ross, Ben Ayres, Huse Madhavji, Salvatore Antonio, and Glenda Braganza.

The TV show has been struggling in the ratings from the start and back in July hit a series low of a 0.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic with just 2.20 million viewers. Still, it was scripted programming that NBC was licensing from Canada so it wasn’t costing them much.

The plan was to air the final two episodes of the season on successive Saturdays — first on September 1st and 8th, then on the 8th and 15th. Now, according to TV Line, the 12th and 13th installments will be released online instead.

While there’s essentially no chance of Saving Hope returning to NBC, the TV series has already been renewed for a second season by CTV in Canada.

Will US viewers be able to watch the second season? Well, Saving Hope could be released on DVD at some point and there’s also a chance that a cable channel could pick up the show. Ion has acquired the rights to air episodes of fellow Canadian exports The Listener and Flashpoint — two shows that have aired on NBC and CBS respectively.

What do you think? Are you sorry that NBC is dropping Saving Hope? Would buy a DVD set or follow it to a cable channel?

Canceled and renewed TV show

218 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Kelly says

Why do we even try new shows? Why? You get way in and then you have nothing. I was watching this originally because I am already a fan of Michael Shanks (Thank you Stargate!). You get to the last two episodes and they pull the rug out. From what I have heard the series was doing very well ratings wise. I dont get it. I guess the writing on the wall is if you decide on a new show you like, dont watch the rest of it because it will only get cancelled. Wait for DVD release to let you see the entire season, maybe, if you you’re lucky. What a shame another good series never got a chance. If you aren’t reality show fan, turn in your TV. People would rather watch the Kardashians than good shows. The world is ending for sure.

2. Meredith says

This is what NBC does. I hesitate to start to watch any new series on that network, because I know the chances of being able to follow it to the end are probably nil. The execs should find a new job and let someone who likes TV programming take over. No show has a chance on that network.

3. Bonnie says

Once again the networks cancels a show after you get hooked. This seems to be a regular on going thing….. I never get called on these surveys to see what I’m watching so it’s anyones guess who does get called and how they come up with their conclusions, especially on a summer show. I loved this show. I m fed up with new reality shows and a lot of those that keep being renewed. Put that in your survey.

4. Patti Perry says

Once again the networks put out a show only to get you hooked and then it winds up in the black hole of modern tv land. Not wasting my time any longer on “new” programs.

5. alicenbrandyland says

i am so disapointed =( just got into this show three weeks ago and went online to watch all the episodes i missed so i would be all cought up to watch this week just to find out they weren’t showing any more episodes. every time i get into a show on this network they cancel it. NBC used to be my favorite network and now there is only a couple shows i watch on there. they need to give these shows a shot before they rip them off the air and give people a chance to get into them and spread the word. hopefully i’ll be able to find it online next year =(

6. says

I have looked forward to every episode of Saving Hope. It has heart, drama, end ererything else that I look for in a TV show. I am TRULY disappointed that they have cancelled the last two episodes! I really need to know when the last two episodes will show so I can see the ending!!!!

7. Trish Henry says

Yeah CTV Canada for taking over this show in Canada, tonight’s show was awesome, can not wait for the Season finale next week.

8. Betsy Pearson says

What?? I can’t believe NBC has pulled the last two episodes of what is one of my very favorite shows! And it’s been renewed for a new season in Canada. This is very, very disappointing. And to pull these two just to show re-runs of reality shows??? Come on.

9. Rachel Duncan says

This is a very good show. NBC should not have just dumped the last two eps of the series! At least give the faithful watchers that much! I stop watching nets that pull stunts like this…showing such contempt for the audience.
    All of the actors are doing a great job and are worth watching, but I love Michael Shanks. I would definitely follow this to another channel, and I have every intention of getting it on DVD, if offered.