Saving Hope: NBC Medical Series; Cancel or Keep?

cancel or keep Saving HopeThough the networks are overflowing with reality series this summer, there are some new scripted TV shows. One is Saving Hope, a medical series that NBC has licensed from Canada. Will this one stick around or be cancelled instead?

As Saving Hope begins, a hospital’s charismatic Chief of Surgery (Michael Shanks) suffers a massive brain hemorrhage on his wedding day and ends up in a coma. This leaves the hospital in chaos and his fiance and fellow surgeon (Erica Durance) in a state of shock. It doesn’t help matters that her former boyfriend (Daniel Gillies) — also a brilliant surgeon — has arrived to work at the same facility. Others in the cast include Michelle Nolden, K. C. Collins, Kristopher Turner, Julia Taylor Ross, Ben Ayres, Huse Madhavji, Salvatore Antonio, and Glenda Braganza.

In terms of the ratings, Saving Hope debuted on June 7th with a disappointing 0.7 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 3.24 million total viewers. It ranked in a distant fourth place, garnering less than half of what CBS drew with a second place repeat of Person of Interest. It was truly a terrible performance.

Should Saving Hope be renewed?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The following week, the demo remained the same and the viewership grew slightly, to 3.98 million. It was in fourth place in the demo once again.

Of the eight summer programs that NBC has been airing this summer, Saving Hope is dead last and is doing even worse than the network’s Rock Center with Brian Williams. On our summer ratings report card, the show has an “F” grade.

While NBC is likely paying very little money to air Saving Hope, the ratings are so poor that there seems to be no reason for the network to bring it back for a second season. The show could continue in Canada however so, if that happens, US viewers could potentially be able to see future episodes if NBC drops it.

But, what do you think? Do you like Saving Hope? Do you think it should be cancelled or renewed for a second season?

Canceled and renewed TV show

120 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. says

This was a great show we stumbled on to the first night. Never saw a commercial. Did not know it switched to Saturday. Hunted it down on line to find the last episodes. Great show. Politics to keep a coma patient alive was a threat to the chosen few who make up our moral country. Every now and then FOLKS do come back. Keep hope alive!

2. Beth says

I really am mad at NBC for cancelling this show!! For crying out loud, all that’s on tv are reruns, stupid reality shows, & baseball (in the summer)!! I agree with the other viewer’s opinion about the network giving up too soon on some network shows!! I think it should have been renewed!! How are we to see it unless it shows up on a channel here in the states like cable or satellite??

3. Lynae says

NBC is the stupidest network ever. It always takes a while for a show to “find it’s groove” and the recent eps of SH have been the best ever. Instead NBC never gives anything a chance. They tried to cancel Quantum Leap when it first came out and it went on to become a hit. They tried to cancel Chuck and it went on to become a hit. I give up trying to fight with these idiots. They wouldn’t know a decent show if it bit them in the @ss. Instead we get four days of The Voice (remember when they gave us Jay Leno 5 days in a row?) or these stinking reality shows. I’m giving up TV altogether and streaming my Netflix. Permanently. I’ve had it with the idiot networks. Sick of putting my “Hope” in shows they always pull the plug on too soon. I’m outta here.

4. Gwen Worwa says

If this show was on ABC, it would have been one of the top rated shows along with Revenge, Rookie Blue, Greys Anatomy, etc. The only reason it had problems on NBC is because most people like me never watch NBC because it has such crappy shows and it took us a while to discover it on NBC. I just accidentally discovered it one night when there was not much on and loved it and went to On Demand to watch the episodes that I had missed. Loved this show.

5. Retta Hedges says

I truly love Saving Hope. So far it is the only show on TV that does not put down religion. When the conventions and the olypmics was on it did not show, and that was a big disappointment. Seems like they would air these types of shows at a different time when they are pre-empted for other programs. There is not much I watch on NBC due to their liberal stance but this one I make an exception, so if this goes off – then so will NBC go off my TV. No longer any need to watch it.

6. Sarah Wolfe says

I absolutely love Saving Hope and can not believe NBC has cancelled it! Please bring this show back for season 2!!!!!!!!

7. Anonymous says

I don’t know where “they” get their ratings. Finally an entertaining show with real actors!! Like one poster said – at least let us know if Charlie wakes up. If NBS really does cancel this show – “they” suck! But what else is new? Oh yeah and I heard Harry’s Law has been cancelled. NO MORE REALITY SHOWS you cheap asses – just cause it cost you less money to produce – doesn’t mean your viewers have to suffer! The so called executives (decison-makers?) must be jealous of real talent they obviously do NOT have.