Scandal: Season Two Ratings

ABC TV show Scandal ratingsIn its first season, Scandal drew mediocre ratings and was nearly cancelled. ABC likely brought it back because they need new dramas and are hoping that the ratings would improve in season two. Will they be glad that they took the risk? Time will tell.

The second season of Scandal typically airs Thursday nights at 10pm on the ABC network. The cast includes Kerry Washington, Bellamy Young, Columbus Short, Darby Stanchfield, Guillermo Diaz, Jeff Perry, Joshua Malina, Katie Lowes, and Tony Goldwyn.

Below are the TV show’s ratings for the 2012-13 season, the best way to tell if Scandal is going to be cancelled or renewed for a second season.

Final season averages: 2.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 7.53 million total viewers. (adjusted average due to transposed number for second episode)

Episode 02-22: Thursday, 05/16/13
3.2 in the demo (0% change) with 9.12 million (+3% change).
Season averages: 2.50 in the demo with 7.48 million.

UPDATE: ABC has renewed this show for a third season for 2013-14.

Episode 02-21: Thursday, 05/09/13
3.2 in the demo (+23% change) with 8.87 million (+10% change).
Season averages: 2.47 in the demo with 7.40 million.

Episode 02-20: Thursday, 05/02/13
2.6 in the demo (-7% change) with 8.07 million (+2% change).
Season averages: 2.43 in the demo with 7.33 million.

Episode 02-19: Thursday, 04/25/13
2.8 in the demo (+8% change) with 7.90 million (-2% change).
Season averages: 2.42 in the demo with 7.29 million.

Episode 02-18: Thursday, 04/04/13
2.6 in the demo (0% change) with 8.04 million (+1% change).
Season averages: 2.40 in the demo with 7.25 million.

Episode 02-17: Thursday, 03/28/13
2.6 in the demo (-4% change) with 7.97 million (-6% change).
Season averages: 2.39 in the demo with 7.21 million.

Episode 02-16: Thursday, 03/21/13
2.7 in the demo (0% change) with 8.51 million (+11% change).
Season averages: 2.38 in the demo with 7.16 million.

Episode 02-15: Thursday, 02/21/13
2.7 in the demo (0% change) with 7.68 million (-4% change).
Season averages: 2.35 in the demo with 7.07 million.

Episode 02-14: Thursday, 02/14/13
2.7 in the demo (-4% change) with 8.02 million (-2% change).
Season averages: 2.33 in the demo with 7.03 million.

Episode 02-13: Thursday, 02/07/13
2.8 in the demo (+4% change) with 8.14 million (+1% change).
Season averages: 2.30 in the demo with 6.95 million.

Episode 02-12: Thursday, 01/31/13
2.7 in the demo (+4% change) with 8.09 million (+2% change).
Season averages: 2.26 in the demo with 6.85 million.

Episode 02-11: Thursday, 01/17/13
2.6 in the demo (-7% change) with 7.93 million (-5% change).
Season averages: 2.22 in the demo with 6.74 million.

Episode 02-10: Thursday, 01/10/13
2.8 in the demo (+17% change) with 8.37 million (+17% change).
Season averages: 2.18 in the demo with 6.62 million.

ABC TV show ratingsEpisode 02-09: Thursday, 12/13/12
2.4 in the demo (-4% change) with 7.14 million (-3% change).
Season averages: 2.11 in the demo with 6.43 million.

Episode 02-08: Thursday, 12/06/12
2.5 in the demo (+14% change) with 7.39 million (+11% change).
Season averages: 2.08 in the demo with 6.34 million.

Episode 02-07: Thursday, 11/29/12
2.2 in the demo (+10% change) with 6.64 million (+10% change).
Season averages: 2.01 in the demo with 6.19 million.

Episode 02-06: Thursday, 11/15/12
2.0 in the demo (+5% change) with 6.02 million (-1% change).
Season averages: 1.98 in the demo with 6.11 million.

Episode 02-05: Thursday, 11/08/12
1.9 in the demo (-5% change) with 6.06 million (-1% change).
Season averages: 1.98 in the demo with 6.13 million.

UPDATE: ABC has ordered a full season of 22 episodes.

Episode 02-04: Thursday, 10/25/12
2.0 in the demo (+5% change) with 6.11 million (-1% change).
Season averages: 2.00 in the demo with 6.14 million.

Episode 02-03: Thursday, 10/18/12
1.9 in the demo (-5% change) with 6.17 million (+11% change).
Season averages: 2.00 in the demo with 6.16 million.

Episode 02-02: Thursday, 10/04/12
2.0 in the demo (-5% change) with 5.65 million (-1.3% change).
Season averages: 2.05 in the demo with 6.15 million.

Episode 02-01: Thursday, 09/27/12
2.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.74 million total viewers.
Season averages: 2.10 in the demo with 6.74 million.

Year-to-year, the season premiere of Scandal was up by 5% in the demo (vs a 2.0 rating) and down by 8% in viewers (vs 7.33 million).

Reference point: The 2011-12 season averaged a 2.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 7.02 million viewers.

What do you think? Do you still like the Scandal TV series? Do you think it should be cancelled or renewed for a third season?

Amazon.com Widgets

c richmond October 21, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Scandal is the best show to date. Very Instense and fast moving. enjoy every minute
do not cancel, be very disappointed. Looking for Season 2 to be on DVD and looking
forward to season 3 Must have

Maryle Bone October 21, 2012 at 1:14 pm

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Scandal!!! Addicted I’m sick that I can’t add to the Nielsen as I am in Paris, but I wake up in the middle of the night to see it when it’s available on iTunes! Don’t cancel! I’d be lost without Olitz!

VeniKa October 20, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Love this show. Love the actors. Guillermo Diaz and Joshua Malina are particularly great. Loving on them.

CD October 20, 2012 at 8:57 am

Good show but I’m getting tired of the rapid fire talk sequences….almost enough to drive me away. Maybe that’s why the show isn’t drawing viewers? Could be as simple as that annoying feature.

Anonymous October 20, 2012 at 8:49 am

This is the best show. Keep it :)

Danielle Cook October 19, 2012 at 10:45 pm

I absolutely love scandal and Kerry Washington as Olivia Pope. The dialogue is fast pace but if different and keeps me engaged. Please keep this show on the air.

JEFF ANTHONY October 19, 2012 at 9:09 pm

This show is overrated and the acting sucks. Bury this thing.

Ms. R October 19, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Love the show and hope it doesn’t get cancelled. Can’t understand why the actors have to talk so fast. Can’t they slow down a bit???

Greyzoned November 29, 2012 at 11:55 pm

I agree! I love the show but the fast talking is driving me away. Because it’s WORK to watch this show! I want to relax, unwind and enjoy a show, not have to get irritated because I have to keep rewinding to go back and try to get what they’ve said! I’ve even tried putting closed-caption on but that’s annoying too. This show’s directors need to SLOW DOWN. Please! I’m certainly not the only one who thinks this and a lot of people I know have quit watching JUST BECAUSE THEY TALK TOO DAMN FAST! What?do they have to squeeze in all the dialogue in a shorter time slot to make room for even more annoying commercials??? C’mon! SLOW DOWN!!

Rosemary Campbell October 19, 2012 at 8:14 pm

I will give the show a pass in the future. Romney is not running a war against women. Too many lies.

Kayla October 26, 2012 at 8:24 pm

They don’t say that on the show. On the show the government is under Republican President. I don’t hold people’s political views against when they play on a TV show. I separate tv from real life. I mean I have done my research and yes Mitt has problem with women’s health rights.

Michelle G. October 19, 2012 at 6:06 pm

I love this show. Please do not cancel it!

Lori October 19, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Keep this show on the air!!! Love it every Thursday. Keeps u on the edge of ur seat. Shondas a genius writer :)

stilljojo October 19, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I love this show.. but I miss a lot of the dialogue… they sound like commercials where they talk super fast to get everything said in 60 seconds.. YEOWWW people .. slow down.. its ok to not have run on sentences and to pause at the end of a sentence… other than that.. I LOVE the show!

Generosa October 19, 2012 at 12:00 pm

I liked this show a lot, but I find that Kerry Washington and the redhead say their lines so rapidly that sometimes I don’t know what they are saying. Slow down ladies!!!

Lilbit October 18, 2012 at 9:37 pm

I absolutely love this show ‘Scandal’. I will watch Scandal before Grey’s Anatomy anyday. Personally I think this new show tops ‘The Good Wife’ and I enjoy that also. But this ‘Scandal’ is scandalous! Please keep it on TV. My DVR is set to record this show. The episodes are so good…I always watch them 2-3 times between the next episode. I too would also like to see more advertisement. My girlfriends and I also discuss the episodes.
I want to thank the writer Shonda Rimes, and the actors. “Kerry Washington is really great and the cast is simply awesome.”

Mamielee Thomas October 18, 2012 at 8:50 pm

The actors talk too fast. I can’t understand a word they say.