Scoundrels: Off the Schedule; Has the ABC TV Show Been Cancelled?

ScoundrelsFans of ABC’s summer drama, Scoundrels, may have noticed that the series isn’t on the schedule any longer. Has the show been cancelled?

Scoundrels revolves around the West family, a clan that’s had many run-ins with the law. Dad (David James Elliott) has been sent to prison and his wife (Virginia Madsen) is determined that she and their kids not follow him. The TV show’s cast also includes Leven Rambin, Vanessa Marano, Carlos Bernard, and Patrick Flueger (in a dual role).

The series debuted on June 20th to a disappointing 1.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 5.23 million viewers. In week two, viewership dropped to a 1.0 in the demo and 3.66 million viewers. The numbers got even worse in subsequent weeks. It hit a demo low 0.6 and, the finale attracted the fewest number of total viewers, just 2.73 million. Those are some terrible numbers for a major network, even for the summer months.

TV show supportOnly eight episodes of Scoundrels were produced and, to ABC’s credit, they aired them all — despite the low ratings. Unfortunately, the network has little reason to want any more. So, no, ABC has not officially cancelled Scoundrels but, it is highly unlikely that they’ll order a second season.

What do you think? Why do you think Scoundrels didn’t fare better? Is it a better show than the ratings reflect?

Pam February 24, 2011 at 7:59 pm

ABC is notorious for airing shows that are clean and wholesome and then canceling them when they start to get interesting. The one I was stuck on was Men In Trees. GREAT cast and great stories, but they yanked with no reason. I have refused to watch anything on ABC since. Never will again.

alyssa February 16, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Wish they decide to air the show again – it was such a great show!

ashlyn topolski February 13, 2011 at 12:14 pm

i think they need to movie it in the fall because eveybody has stuff to do during the summer. I love this show but i can’t watch all of it because we go on vacation in the summer.So if they don’t cancel they need to move it to the fall.

Annette Booth February 13, 2011 at 9:38 am

I just loved this show. Please bring it back.

Annette Booth February 13, 2011 at 9:35 am

I just loved this show.Please bring it back.

Tina February 12, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Me and my mother really looked forward every week to seeing this show. We were very disappointed when it was taken off the air. We wish you would bring it back!!!

C.j. February 10, 2011 at 11:53 am

This is such a different type of show. Loved the charaters, most of all, Wulf. Great discovery there! I now have a new actor on my “hunk” list. How can they leave us hanging like that? Wulf just walked in and caught his wife in the arms of the officer that keeps busting them….OMG! We need to know the outcome. I wasn’t even aware that we were viewing the Finale. That should have been advertised better. Even though I have a DVR and recorded it, those that love the show and couldn’t record it, may have tuned in had they knew it would be the last show. I agree with Niki that another cable station should pick it up. I think HBO or Cinemax would be great. Imagine how the numbers would increase if the show were a little more racey.

katteianna dane February 8, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I love this show.. it is a nice break from all the cop and lawyer shows on now.. we need humor like this.. bring it back

Niki February 8, 2011 at 9:40 am

I really loved this show. Part of the problem with this show was that it was on in the summer. Fewer people view in the summer months, although, Sunday is a good night generally. Maybe a cable station should pick this up and try it. Like TBS or TNT? It was a great premise since so many shows are the same thing over and over again. Hope someone will pick it up. Great cast.

Joy February 5, 2011 at 11:23 pm

LOVE the show. Please bring it back.

ron February 1, 2011 at 9:36 pm

i too really enjoyed scoundrels……me and the misses were wondering what happened to the show…..it was actually our number 1 show to watch…and if we missed a episode…we were upset….imagine how we feel now that the show isnt on anymore….that sucks…we liked it alot….

Butta January 26, 2011 at 6:27 am

I never jump on blogs please continue the show it rocks

Leellen January 23, 2011 at 12:29 am

I just today watched all 8 episodes of Scoundrels… I’m not sure why I missed it when it originally aired but I do hope it will be returning… If networks want to give shows a better chance to succeed in today’s climate of television, it is crucial that the entire audience have the opportunity to receive the programs at their “demand”, that thise demamd viewings be promoted and also that those “later viewers be counted in the ratings… This was an excellent series that should be renewed.

Sarah January 21, 2011 at 11:21 am

I thought it was good show and looked forward to seeing it each week when it was on. I along with 10 of my friends are deeply disappointed that no more has been aired. What a loss and the characters were so interesting.

Vickie January 18, 2011 at 5:41 pm

I really liked Scoundrels. And it was just getting interesting.. Will Wulf discover that his “best bud and parter in crime” set up him up? The time slot that it was placed in was poor. In a different time slot and with more ads it might take off.