Shameless: Season Three for Showtime Series

Shameless season threeThe Gallagher kids on Shameless will have to try to keep their father in line for at least one more year. The show has been renewed for a third season on Showtime.

Shameless revolves around the dysfunctional Gallagher family. Frank (William H. Macy) is a single father of six children who spends his days drunk. As a result, his kids (Emmy Rossum, Jeremy Allen White, Cameron Monaghan, Emma Kenney, Ethan Cutkosky, Brennan Kane Johnson, and Blake Alexander Johnson) learn to be resourceful and take care of themselves. Others in the cast include Shanola Hampton, Steve Howey, Justin Chatwin, Laura Slade Wiggins, and Joan Cusack.

The series returned for season two on Sunday, January 8th. It brought in a 0.8 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 1.58 million total viewers. That was a 100% improvement in the demo and a 61% gain in total viewers, when compared to the series debut a year earlier. Showtime touted that Shameless is the cable channel’s youngest skewing show with nearly 40% of the audience under the age of 35.

The next three weeks of Shameless have settled in at a 0.7 rating in the demo and this past Sunday’s episode attracted 1.37 million viewers, the highest number since the season two debut. Though total viewership is down compared to last season, Shameless is doing significantly better in the young desirable demographic.

David Nevens, President of Entertainment for Showtime, announced today that Shameless, House of Lies, and Californication had all been renewed. In a statement, Nevens said, “These three shows are clearly resonating with audiences as evidenced by their steady growth on Sunday nights. We are extremely pleased with the creative work being done by the casts, producers and writers — and I so appreciate that each of these series has such a clear and distinctive voice.”

There’s no word on how many installments have been ordered for season two but the two existing seasons of Shameless have had a dozen episodes each. Production will resume later this year in Los Angeles. Showtime hasn’t announced when they’ll air but early January is expected.

Eight episodes remain for the current season and the finale will air on April 1st.

What do you think? Do you like the series? Are you glad to hear that it’s been renewed?

Gene October 22, 2012 at 9:45 am

So glad they renewed the show. Need more viewers to keep the show going.

Patti September 11, 2012 at 7:41 am

I’ve been waiting since last winter, it seems for the new season . Shameless is one of the only programs I make a point to see, because I’m as busy as everyone else is these days. having Irish, hard drinking, working class , yet talented and ingeniously resourceful people in my background, Shameless is like a totally dysfunctional family reunion,
and like real families, often goes to the places other programs fear to tread, the shocking grittiness of poverty problems, classism, substance abuse, greed, strange lust and stranger loyalties, Mental Illness, and the (I can’t believe they just did/said that!), humour of unleashing the Mischievously Genie of political incorrectness. Shameless isaan Equal Opportunity Offender. Long live Shameless one of my long awaited guilty pleasures, and favourite worse examples. Long Live Shameless!

Mechellle August 24, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Shameless is the best show I have seen in years. It keeps you so busy watching to see what happens next, there Izmir time to over eat or even go to the bathroom lol

Col July 23, 2012 at 7:05 pm

ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS SHOW.. been ADDICTED since the very first episode.. can’t wait for Season 3!!!

Irene Travis June 23, 2012 at 11:33 am

oh I hope so I am so addicted to the show they almost seem like family !!!

Cheri Aubert May 28, 2012 at 5:44 pm

I am addictied!! I love this show! I know that I do not fit into the demographic as I am quite a bit older (60) but I still love it. I think the writing is wonderful, it moves so fast and covers so much material, I find it very entertaining. I missed the first year and watched it on demand on one Sunday until I had caught up. This is not my normal television show, but I love it.

Nanapeanut May 16, 2012 at 10:27 am

I love this show! I do not fit into the demographic they are looking for as I am somewhat older but nonetheless still love it. I think the writing is wonderful, although I would have a heart attack if any of my children or grandchildren acted or lived this way, I still find it very entertaining. Remember people, it is make believe! TV should entertain and make you forget your own daily living problems! Cudos to Macy and Rossum and the rest of the cast on such remarkable acting!

chonny April 15, 2012 at 10:55 am

The only show we watch, it awesome.

s.windsor April 1, 2012 at 7:22 pm

love this show. hated for the season to end.

Lori March 27, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Seriously…this show has renewed my faith that good TV still exists. The cast is brilliant !

perry March 25, 2012 at 4:25 pm

we love the show and have seen every show and cant wait for the next one. so glad they did not cancel show!!!!

ramtin March 24, 2012 at 8:24 pm

I like this show so much.

marameko February 21, 2012 at 12:11 pm

I. Love the show but would not want them as neighbors.

Grandizer February 3, 2012 at 10:10 am

It made me laugh so hard when Fiona finally slept with her married high school crush and he was such a loser. The looks on her face in the soccer mom van with the children’s toys, food and decorations was hilarious.
A top notch show!
Macy’s attempts to get Cusack to stay in the house were absolutely hilarious. And then how it works out? OMG!

I_R_Human February 1, 2012 at 10:31 pm

Family is the center of this show….It has it’s dark moments(lying to the doctors when they called about “Butterface”‘s heart transplant) but they all still manage to be likable…..great show….If you have never seen the original you should check that out also