Shameless: UK TV Series Ending, No Season 12

Shameless TV showJames Abbott, the writer and creator of the UK’s original Shameless TV series, says that the 11th season will be the show’s last, notes THR. Production is currently underway in Manchester on the final 14 episodes. They’ll air sometime in 2013.

Abbott, who is is planning “a suitably Shameless finale,” believes the time is right to end the show.

He said, “We’ve given back in spades and got away with absolute murder, on behalf of such a fantastically outspoken audience. But this is also the year my Dad died and he was, in abstract, my core inspiration for starting the whole Shameless party rolling, I wanted to make invisible people vivid. Closing the two eras in the same year feels very right. Now I’m off to build the next whatever-it-is.”

Jay Hunt, Channel 4’s chief creative officer, called the show “ground-breaking when it launched and gob-smacking ever since.”

Shameless initially focused on Frank Gallagher, his six children, and their friends and neighbors. The Maguire family was later introduced and has become the focus of the show as the Gallagher children have departed. Only David Threlfall and Rebecca Atkinson have remained since the beginning.

A US version of Shameless started airing on Showtime in 2011 to successful ratings and critical acclaim. Starring William H. Macy, that show has been renewed for a third season.

What do you think? Are you a fan of the original Shameless? Are you sorry that it’s ending or should it have ended earlier?

Canceled and renewed TV show

LESLIE May 25, 2015 at 1:49 pm

MY HUSBAND AND I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE SHAMELESS UK. I’M ON THE SITE BECAUSE I WAS LOOKING TO FIND OUT THAT IT WAS NOT ENDING AT THE POINT WE SAW AS THE END OF SEASON 11. THAT LAST EPISODE ENDED WITH A CAR BURNING AND THE PARTY IN THE JOCKEY MOVED OUTSIDE BEFORE THE POLICE CAME. IT LOOKED LIKE THE BEGINNING AND END WERE RELATED AND THE SHOW ENDED. WE WERE SO BUMMED. NOW I READ THERE IS A SEASON 12. I HOPE THERE IS ANOTHER SEASON, AND ANOTHER AND ANOTHER AND SO ON

gayle May 25, 2015 at 8:58 pm

OMG!!! Is there another season of Shameless? I really hope there is I was so addicted to that show and was physically ill when I watched the last episode. Please let me know if you find out if there’s a season 12!!!!!

Cayla March 13, 2015 at 1:10 am

PLEASE Bring it back!!! I’m from America & I love this one over that!!! ): #Heartbroken

Mark February 24, 2015 at 11:09 pm

Bring back shameless uk it was great us are still goin we want the uk one back

Anonymous February 25, 2015 at 6:16 am

Yes PLEASE!

Joanna November 15, 2014 at 11:11 am

I watched a few episodes on the Dutch television net Outtv and I am a fan ever since. Ordered the first five series in a box from the UK. Watched all of it and have now ordered series 7. Simply love the show and I am sorry that it has gone to an end. But then; all good things end one time or another.

Anonymous July 17, 2014 at 12:13 am

I’m a huge fan of uk shameless it needs to continur

Carla Posusney May 22, 2014 at 8:41 am

I loved your show. Couldn’t wait for it to come on every week. Please make a movie. I too became a shameless addict. Your show has more freedom than the US. I would love to know how the Gallaghers turned out now. Sorry about your father. Will you try to do a spin off?

Juan March 26, 2014 at 3:07 pm

Just start to bring in The A-list stars doing the most odd things and putting them in the wrong place at the right time and we are back IN IT…big Fan and Addict of the show …..and sorry to here about DAD but just thinks about the good times and put them in the mix alone with the A- list guest stars and ! ! ! BAM ! ! ! new and better Shameless.
Go Crazy after all …..”this is England”.